Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSA account

Default FSA account

so through my work I signed up for a "flexable spending account". This account takes money out of my paycheck ore tax and allows me to use it on medical expenses including doctors co-pays, doctors bills, perscriptions, over the counter medication, and almost anything else you can think of for medical purposes.

None of the documentation says incontinent products or diapers. I know that if I have a doctors note I could use the FSA account for them, has anyone had any experience with this?

I have quite a bit of experience with FSA's, I have some material at my office which I'll double check tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure that incontinent products will be covered but you will be required to submit a doctors note.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    I have quite a bit of experience with FSA's, I have some material at my office which I'll double check tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure that incontinent products will be covered but you will be required to submit a doctors note.
    that's what I'm hoping to avoid. I don't think any doctor would give someone a note just because they wanted to wear diapers and charge it to an FSA account.

Personally, I think that's why they require a note to buy diapers. I thought it was odd when I looked at the list of covered things. For example, if you wear contacts and need to buy contact lens solution, you can just send in the receipt without a prescription, but incontinence products require a note.

Be careful with some items though and some procedures and keep in mind that this is an IRS designed program, so that explains certain weird things about it.

at my work, the page said "diapers - adult - used to treat a condition"
    Thanks for beiing vague, treat a condition... my condition is infantilism, LOL

I have sent in claims for diapers, perscriptions, copays, parts for my CPAP machine that my medical equipment provider won't bill ins for. Never had a problem.

Think about it.... What grown person is going to submit expenses for diapers unles they needed them?

Darkfinn

Well... I do suppose that is all dependant on the word "condition"... heheh.

I checked my IRS guidelines at the office today, you need a doctor's note and a receipt or your claim submission should be denied my your company's plan administrator.

Yeah... I don't think I want to try and get this past the doctor and uncle Sam. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by goodnites2002 View Post
    that's what I'm hoping to avoid. I don't think any doctor would give someone a note just because they wanted to wear diapers and charge it to an FSA account.
    Indeed since that would be fraud it sounds like this is somewhat like health insurance it just only covers stuff like medication though.

i don't see it as fraud. I am not taking money that is not already mine. the money in my FSA comes out of my check pre-tax