Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanna know where your taxes are going?

Default Wanna know where your taxes are going?

Real Time with Bill Maher March 16 2012 - Alexandra Pelosi Interviews Welfare Recipients in NYC - YouTube

This fucking disgusts me. There's more to the interview between the two but I can't stand to watch it because it's the usual Bill Maher spewing horseshit.

My mom said that she hoped there was one person who at least said something like "I've worked all my life but was recently laid off. I have a mortgage, kids to feed and clothe, and I'm waiting to hear about a job. I pray everyday that something will come up", you know, who the SYSTEM WAS INTENDED FOR. But apparently not; Pelosi stated that nothing was edited.

And these videos are from Nancy Pelosi's DAUGTHER of all people. The daughter of a major figure who supports this broken system.

But yeah: discuss, fight, etc...

With respect to the fact that corruption and misuse takes place all the time in the welfare system. Why did this video have the same couple of faces? It is not a large enough sampling of the welfare recipients to justify the amount of rancor and snarling that may of the comments for that video contained.

Most of us know at least one person who is milking the system...but that is not a measure of all. The system may need more checks and balances to prevent what we just saw, but I can't see closing the door on all who need help.

The video seems like the typical tool used by Beck, Maher, O'Reily, Oberman (before he got canned) even 60 minutes and dateline have been guilty of this type of piece. Focus on the worst as a measure for the whole to spike emotions in the direction the author wanted people to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    The video seems like the typical tool used by Beck, Maher, O'Reily, Oberman (before he got canned) even 60 minutes and dateline have been guilty of this type of piece. Focus on the worst as a measure for the whole to spike emotions in the direction the author wanted people to go.
    In the original interview Pelosi also shows Republican welfare recipients that disagree with the concept of the system whilst living on it (and Frankly, I agree with what they had to say, except for the Christian ones). Of course, she only got the ugliest, dirtiest, slobbiest of them all which did nothing but give Maher fuel to talk out of his ass.

What's really funny is that Maher complained that the video of the people above showed the "too extreme" but said nothing about the conservative recipients but "yeah, and Liberals will actually give that guy some teeth". Asshole.

Here's the full interview: Alexandra Pelosi makes DEMOCRATS LOOK BAD ( New York City Voters ) - YouTube

2:00
    "why should you get my tax dollars"
    "umm because my ancestors, were slaves, helped build this place" (In NYC)
    This sort of statement infuriates me.

THIS is why people hate welfare. The whole system needs to be reformed. Giving people checks for doing nothing when they are able too, with taxpayer money, is wrong.

Granted this is a very one sided video, and yes, not all welfare recipients are like that, its still disgusting to know where your tax dollars might end up.

Just a way to encourage and enable peoples ignorance about others on welfare. Of course these people are in the minority and the video just proves to people how people really do abuse welfare and it will just keep making them continue to judge others on it without knowing their story or their personal lives.

I just do not get the abuse of the system because for one, they hardly give you anything to live off of and how the heck will you even afford luxuries? Even disabled people (those who are unable to work) would love to work and people who are out of work also want to work.

But yet I know there are people who are on it and do work but they do fraud or lie just so they can get them. I know that is all about spending their own money on fun stuff but not wanting to spend it on bills or food or pay for their own medical bills or they are on food stamps so they call see the card for money to get drugs. But to be on it just so they wouldn't have to work I do not get.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    THIS is why people hate welfare. The whole system needs to be reformed. Giving people checks for doing nothing when they are able too, with taxpayer money, is wrong.
    I was on unemployment a few years ago. I was laid off as a teacher making $41k/yr, or about $600 a week after taxes and such. Unemployment came out to be about $450/wk. The only jobs I could find were of the pumping gas variety, which would pay about half of that. Needless to say, I didn't take any. There was a system where I could work a part-time job and so long as I made below a certain threshold every week, I would keep receiving benefits as well. If I earned too much, I would be considered employed and would forfeit benefits. I did the math, and found out that threshold was $45/wk. I didn't do that either. I'd have been more than willing to do something other than send my resume out to employers I wasn't qualified to work for and were laying people off anyway, but anything I'd have done I would have been punished for.

I got really good at video games in that year.

Wanna know where your taxes are going?
    Nope.

Way too afraid to even ask.

I'd like to know how many adisc users actually pay income tax, from what I've been hearing most taxes are being paid off from I guess the richest 40% of the country.

Iknow I don't have to pay any taxes since I am still, for now dependent on my dad. Though I plan on changing that ASAP now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I'd like to know how many adisc users actually pay income tax
    I would also really like to see how many, and if it is a significant amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    I would also really like to see how many, and if it is a significant amount.
    Me and my fiancee have made in range of $20s/30s g in our working years. IIRC, our individual income tax bills were usually around $2-4k. That's state and federal, but a huge majority was federal (given that NJ lacks a standing army). The only years I haven't paid income tax were when I worked summers during high school, and only made $2-3k annually.