Thread: New here

Smile New here

Hi everyone

I joined this forum looking for some support for incontinence, which recently started very suddenly and very severely as a result of a bladder infection, and I had to start wearing diapers full time (we call them nappies on this side of the Atlantic) pretty much straight away. I've been to my doctor and was given a hefty supply of macrobid, and while the infection is clearing up, the incontinence isn't going away. Now awaiting a first appointment at my local incontinence clinic.

In case it matters I'm a pre-op transsexual, female to male, in transition. I'm on hormones but haven't had any surgery yet so while I identify as male and look male, I still have the female "plumbing". I'm also very active in my local trans & LGB community.

Not much to say about work - I have a boring old office job, but I like it there and the people I work with are very friendly.

When I'm not working, my other interests are writing (mainly original fiction of a contemporary-fantasy or sci-fi genre), art (watercolours) and second-life (an online virtual world that I've been involved with for about 6 years). I used to be a good singer too, but the hormones I'm on have ruined my voice so I can't do that any more.

Incidentally I had a lot of problems registering here. When I tried to use my main email account, which is GMX, it kept telling me that I was a spammer and refused to let me sign up. It told me to click "contact us" if it's an error but I couldn't do that either because the Contact form requires that you log in first (you might want to provide an alternative contact method for people who can't register). In the end I had to cross my fingers and hope that it worked with Yahoo - which it did.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    When I'm not working, my other interests are writing (mainly original fiction of a contemporary-fantasy or sci-fi genre), art (watercolours) and second-life (an online virtual world that I've been involved with for about 6 years).
    Never got into Second-Life. But I do go to a place called Habbo hotel every now and again. It fills a void.

You like to write science fiction and fantasy, so I'm guessing you read it as well. Any particular favorites? Are you published at all or do you mostly write for yourself?

I also dabble in art. My most recent venture has been photography since I can't afford paint supplies and my digital camera hasn't cost me a dime beyond it's purchase. I mostly store my albums on facebook.

Some of my favourites to read lately; China Mieville (Scar and Perdido Street Station), G W Dalquhist (Glass Books of the Dream Eaters), Roger Zelazney (Amber chronicles), Storm Constantine (Wraeththu and the Grigori series), I've also been on a bit of a Jules Verne kick and downloading them free for my Kindle. I've had two short stories published in online magazines (neither of which exist any more) but they weren't the sort of publications that pay, and I don't really consider myself to be published. Working on it though

Art supplies can be expensive when you first get them, especially brushes. I've collected my brushes over many years and it would cost me about 250 to replace them all new. A colleague of mine (professional artist) advised me once to get the most expensive brushes you can afford, and the cheapest paint you can find (although I'm not entirely certain that I agree with him). My paintings are up on Deviant Art (same username as here).

Now that I've seen some of your work, which is definitely professional quality, I feel almost embarassed to show you my more amateur attempts at acrylics. My screenname at deviant art is TheStreetReader, which came from a long faded dream of becoming a prominent tarot reader in the New England area.

I also have a "gallery" of sorts at my Youtube channel. There's no rush to check it out I just couldn't fight the impulse to compare notes as it were. At the time the painting was definitely an outlet for a lot of stress I was under. I think how much you spend in the end can't be nearly as important as what you do with your materials, I mean cavemen didn't stop at Micheals (US arts and crafts retailer) on their way home from killing mammoths. To me, my easel was the pride of my art supplies.

Anyhow, I'm glad you joined Adisc. I think it's telling that you seem to have joined on the first day of a new month, but that's just me reading into coincidences.

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    Now that I've seen some of your work, which is definitely professional quality, I feel almost embarassed to show you my more amateur attempts at acrylics. My screenname at deviant art is TheStreetReader, which came from a long faded dream of becoming a prominent tarot reader in the New England area.
    Thankyou (although I don't think I'm up to professional standard yet). And thanks for sharing yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    Anyhow, I'm glad you joined Adisc. I think it's telling that you seem to have joined on the first day of a new month, but that's just me reading into coincidences.
    It's Beltaine, isn't it? Is that supposed to be a Celtic new year or something? Anyway I would have joined a few days ago if the site hadn't kept rejecting me.

I do believe it is Beltaine. Though I don't follow the Wiccan calender that closely, I live next door to Salem so it's inevitable that someone will remind me. I've always followed my own path when it comes to spirituality. One of my personal mottos is the universe is a far more complicated place than we give it credit for.