Thread: Went to Goodwill...

Countryboy95

Default Went to Goodwill...

So i went to goodwill and bought those old depends i was talking about... Turns out they are a collectors item!! they are from 1986-1987 says so on package so must be 1987... Anyways i might sell them on ebay or might just keep them and not wear... I also bought 28 regular depends from walgreens... The ones from goodwill only cost $4.00!! $20.00 for the ones at walgreens...

Oh the irony of it, but that's because the general public has no idea how sought after vintage diapers are. We do rule, after all!

johnpeter

They are not a collectors item because They are disposable. I have seen old baby diapers sell for as much as $75 on ebay and I don't understand why anybody would pay that much for a disposable product. don't people realize that disposable diapers are only good for about 5 years

It's not necessarily usage that collectors have in mind when collecting

More likely other qualities of the product are more interesting, such as for instance having/saving/collecting the same diapers one used as a child, having both the packages or diapers, etc

I was offered a package of some 90-ish pampers for 7 000 NOK (roughly $ 1225), but since I lived in Scandinavia, I could have it for 4 000 NOK (roughly $700), to which I answered: Good luck with your sale

Quote Originally Posted by johnpeter View Post
    They are not a collectors item because They are disposable. I have seen old baby diapers sell for as much as $75 on ebay and I don't understand why anybody would pay that much for a disposable product. don't people realize that disposable diapers are only good for about 5 years
    I beg to differ. I have diapers from the early 90s that work just fine. Its not like we are talking about food here, there is nothing that is going to go bad in a diaper. There have been many diaper advancements in the last number of years and older diapers are going to be less capable of doing their basic job than modern ones just as a plow is less effective than a modern million dollar tractor. For those of us who want a walk down memory lane, or who for what ever reason like the amish approach to life, vintage diapers are worth the cost as a novelty item. I didn't have the cash to buy diapers when I was 5, but now that I have money it is worth it sometimes to get what had been denied to me for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpeter View Post
    They are not a collectors item because They are disposable.
    I would disagree. Common, cheap, easily damaged, consumable items make the best collectables. Stamps, coins, dolls, baseball cards. Diapers fit well here.

The only aspect that doesn't fit well is that most collectables are thinks people had when they were kids and wish they could have now. For us maybe a common thing, but not for most.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    The only aspect that doesn't fit well is that most collectables are thinks people had when they were kids and wish they could have now. For us maybe a common thing, but not for most.
    This is exactly the appeal of vintage diapers for many of us collectors. Like everything else, diapers have a specific crowd and everyone else just doesn't understand. I would never spend thousands of dollars on old crappy 1980s action figures that fall apart 10 minutes after you open them, but that is because I don't have a connection to that decade. Only collectors truly see the appeal of whatever they collect. When I was a kid diapers were not something I had much access to despite desperately wanting them so now that I can get my hands on them, I don't just want the great modern marvels that diapers have become, but I also want the exact items I was denied or had minimal connection to as a child.

Cherub

I don't exactly understand the 'collector status' some disposal diapers are said to have. It's not like I'm gonna put them out on a display shelf (like a model car or trading cards) and tell people, "hey, come look at my collection of diapers!" LOL. I dunno, just sounds funny if you think about it.