Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get my motorcycle licence?

Default Should I get my motorcycle licence?

Lately I have been thinking about getting my motorbike licence and wanted to know who else rides and see if y'all have any tips.

I currently have my restricted car licence so i know the road rules, also I drive a manual which I guess will help. Also what do you think would be a good first time bike?(it has to be 250cc or under) I'm looking at something like this.
    Last edited by huskvarna; 25-Apr-2012 at 08:47. Reason: Auto correct

uhm... yes, yes and yes. I have a Suzuki GSF600S, bought it new and love it. I would recommend something like a used Kawasaki EX500 for a first bike. They're fast enough to be safe, and slow enough to help you stay out of trouble. The 250 is too slow and acceleration is one of the biggest safety factors on a motorcycle. You can have fun with a 250, but I wouldn't want one in traffic.

I like to tell new riders to get a USED EX500. They're inexpensive, pretty reliable if you find one that hasn't been used as a surf board on the pavement, and can be sold for about as much as you paid for it (assuming you don't destroy it). Please please please get a QUALITY helmet that fits your properly. Too many young riders get the expensive new bike and a cheap helmet to go with it. I use an HTC helmet, but Shoei, and Arai are fantastic as well. Also get a good jacket. I personally have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4. It is a textile jacket with good armor. I have been down with one of them (replaced after crash) and it did its job.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus2k View Post
    uhm... yes, yes and yes. I have a Suzuki GSF600S, bought it new and love it. I would recommend something like a used Kawasaki EX500 for a first bike. They're fast enough to be safe, and slow enough to help you stay out of trouble. The 250 is too slow and acceleration is one of the biggest safety factors on a motorcycle. You can have fun with a 250, but I wouldn't want one in traffic.

I like to tell new riders to get a USED EX500. They're inexpensive, pretty reliable if you find one that hasn't been used as a surf board on the pavement, and can be sold for about as much as you paid for it (assuming you don't destroy it). Please please please get a QUALITY helmet that fits your properly. Too many young riders get the expensive new bike and a cheap helmet to go with it. I use an HTC helmet, but Shoei, and Arai are fantastic as well. Also get a good jacket. I personally have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4. It is a textile jacket with good armor. I have been down with one of them (replaced after crash) and it did its job.
    Thanks for the tips.
    The reason I have to get a 250 is in newzealand the licence is broken into three stages (learner, restricted and full) and for the first 2 stages you can't ride a bike bigger than a 250. Also good advise the helmet and jacket.

I'd say yes. A 250 is a small bike, you'll be wanting more really soon. My first bike was a Yamaha 600, currently ride a Suzuki Katana 750. Take a motorcycle safety course...trust me on this one. I'm sure you have those in NZ too, what I learned in that course has saved me. I will say this though, a lot of people think motorcycles are inexpensive to run...not necessarily true. Yes they're good on gas but you can't forget insurance, buying proper riding gear (please wear full gear, trust me), and maintenance is generally more expensive than you think...for example tires wear out quickly and are pricey.

Don't want to ruin anyones fun but I say no way those things are too dangerous for a human being. Please be safe.

yes do your bike license, I ditto Locutus2k on Helmets (i use an Arai RX7 RC) and also get leathers, i've seen riders come off without and it is not a pretty sight, if you want to look cool in jeans get ones that are kevlar lined.

bike wise if your restricted to 250cc I would go for a CBF250 or a ZXR250 like the one you posted

also do a advanced course ASAP and read motorcycle roadcraft

just my

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    Also what do you think would be a good first time bike?(it has to be 250cc or under) I'm looking at something like this.
    something that isn't too powerful for you.
    in the UK, the restrictions start at 50cc, which is probably fine for a lot of areas, but, up here in the hills, 50cc's struggle. i did also once have a 100c shed that would slow to walking pace on the hills. it all depends on your weight, too (bikes being more sensitive to the user's weight than cars).
    a 'rule of thumb' which i was shocked, disappointed and angry to hear, was told to me by a bike-shop owner who said, upon my asking which bike he would sell to me (this after his refusing to sell several bikes to me for reasons such as, 'too powerful for you' and 'too big - your feet don't even touch the floor'), that 'if i couldn't pick it up, i couldn't have it'. makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Wow! 250cc? Here in the UK you can only get a 125cc Max on a learner licence.
    My first bike was a ASJ Regal Raptop 50cc, it was an amazing bike for a 50, If I had the money I would get a bigger one. They are brilliant bikes, if you like the tough(ish) looking bikes.

Thanks for all the help! What sort of jacket would I want for the summer when the average temperature is 25 and the humidity is about 85?

I have never regretted taking my motorcykle license.
    The first one I took when i was 16. (Up to 125 cc)

I took the one for heavier bikes when I was 19 (at the same time as my car license)
    Love the bike I drive now, a Kawasaki Versys 650 cc (See profile pic)