Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming of murder :-O

Exclamation Dreaming of murder :-O

Okay... I don't know if I should even mention this, buuuuut...

I hardly ever seem to dream, but occasionally I do... and even less occasionally I have a dream in which I somehow know that I've murdered someone.

The dreams are completely different each time, but start with the sudden horrific realisation that I've killed someone. I never remember the event, who it was, how it happened or any gory details (thankfully!), but it dawns on me that there is no way out of the situation, and I panic and run away in absolute terror...

Hmmm... Actually, now I put it into words like that... I guess it makes a lot of metaphorical sense. Maybe I've killed myself and I'm running away from my problems... Damn. You're better than my shrink, ADISC!

I doubt it's relevant (much), but after running away, I find somewhere to go where I'm always looking over my shoulder... eventually I calm down and wonder... did I really kill someone? And then I convince myself I've imagined it... And suddenly I'm caught and the handcuffs go on and I realise that not only did I commit such a terrible crime, there's no escape! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

Um... anyone else have dreams like that?

if I had dreams like that i would interpet them as me wanting to cause someone harm, but there could be many reasons

i have a similar sort of thing as i have two recurring night terrors, one is a very realistic flashback of the crash that killed my sister and the other is where I am stuck in a room with no doors & windows so no way out before something (it changes) comes and kills me (i wake just as im hit by the thing) these seem to happen on a mounthly basis

i think that dreams are our mind's way of 'decluttering the junk' that has bulit up over the day and some dreams allow the repressed parts of the mind to be satisfied through fantasy while keeping the conscious mind from shocking thoughts so if your thinking 'i want to kill X' your dream might be your mind acting it out so you don't do it in real life,

at least that what I think

Some research suggest that dreams are the equivalent of a mental enema to let back up emotional responses out. Unless you are planning on killing someone in your active daily life, I would not worry to much about it.

teddybear206

i do that all the time, easpecually by glock, and no i dont know why, i mean im not even a mean person

Quote Originally Posted by TemujinRain View Post
    if I had dreams like that i would interpet them as me wanting to cause someone harm, but there could be many reasons... if your thinking 'i want to kill X' your dream might be your mind acting it out so you don't do it in real life
    Oh, I don't think I could ever cause anyone any harm (or even think about it). There's certainly no one I'd say I'd kill even jokingly. In fact, I'm so sure that I wouldn't ever do anything like that that I'm not in the slightest bit worried about it. But they're terrifying dreams when you're "in the moment"...

Well, dream about killing someone isn't all that abnormal for me. But the situation you're describing...not so much.

I didn't take it as you wanting to kill someone. I think if your dream was a result of your wanting to kill someone, you would have remembered the details about the killing, or at least remember who it was you killed.

I would think it seems more like your guilty about something.

You couldn't remember any of the gory details (you're trying to forget what you did that is causing your guilt)
    You were constantly looking over your shoulder (you're paranoid of getting caught)
    You wonder 'did I really kill someone?' (you're in disbelief that you did something so bad)

I think the murder is just a metaphor that is being used to represent the thing you might have done that is causing your guilt.

Of course, I'm no therapist so what do I know? :P

(For the record I'm not saying you did anything to be guilty about, I'm just throwing this out there.)

BigCrow

As others have said, it could be your subconscious telling you something via metaphor- something you're afraid of and/or running away from, guilt, etc, any number of things. They could also be stress-related. Look back and see if maybe you had a bad day, were stressed or aggravated over something any of the times you've had these dreams. But all in all I don't think they reflect on you at all in waking life. Lord knows I have some seriously disturbed dreams every so often, but there's not a harmful bone in my body. Our minds are strange places. xD

Astra

I have dreams like that a few times a year. I've committed a crime- not necessarily murder, but still something serious- and I'm desperately trying to avoid getting caught. The dreams always feature some kind of obstacle I have to get through, like a fence I have to jump over to escape from the cops, but once I clear that obstacle there's yet another obstacle in front of me and I'm still struggling to get away. I'm never arrested or killed; I always wake up in a sweat right before it's about to happen.

My dreams, like the OP's dreams, never go into much detail about what kind of crime I committed... I just know it's serious and I need to escape, and the dreams focus on that sense of fear.
    Last edited by Astra; 18-Apr-2012 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyki View Post
    I think the murder is just a metaphor that is being used to represent the thing you might have done that is causing your guilt.
    Yeahhh.... I reckon you might be right. I'm probably feeling guilty about the fact that my life is a total mess and I need to sort it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCrow View Post
    As others have said, it could be your subconscious telling you something via metaphor- something you're afraid of and/or running away from, guilt, etc, any number of things. They could also be stress-related. Look back and see if maybe you had a bad day, were stressed or aggravated over something any of the times you've had these dreams.
    A bad day...? Well, I kind of have an anxiety disorder, depression and (as my shrink said), "probably a lot of other things going on"... Humph. I guess weird dreams shouldn't come as a shock...

Quote Originally Posted by BigCrow View Post
    Our minds are strange places. xD
    Ain't that the truth! And there's no mind quite so strange as mine!

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Astra View Post
    My dreams, like the OP's dreams, never go into much detail about what kind of crime I committed... I just know it's serious and I need to escape, and the dreams focus on that sense of fear.
    That's exactly it -- the crime itself isn't that important in my dream (it doesn't even feature); it's the fear of committing the crime and the inevitability of being held accountable that is the real focus...