Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your career; what did you WANT to do, as opposed to what you're doing now?

Dude84

Default Your career; what did you WANT to do, as opposed to what you're doing now?

I was just sat here thinking that i'm probably not the only person in this situation, i.e. wanting to have pursued a different career to the one i'm in now (albeit, technically none atm, as i'm unemployed :-/).

Since I was 12 I wanted to be a doctor, then I got a little "confused" after being fairly good with IT, then I concluded that I could probably use both and go into research, medical electronics or something similar.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was bullied extensively at school, and became rather depressed; consequently, I screwed up my GCSEs significantly, as I had no motivation and thus didn't do any revision.

My results considering I didn't revise weren't too bad, 2 Bs and 4 Cs (and some er, lower grades) but they were and are just not good enough; I took double-science, meaning you are awarded two grades, but only scored CC in that; hardly of any interest to any college for biology, a must to go onto medicine.

So now, i'm stuck here pondering all of this; I guess I could try and correct the mistakes of the past, but i'm too old I think (23) to go through that all again.

So, any thoughts?

For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a writer.

And I am. I just don't get paid for it.

I've done several things in my life - military, marketing, nurse - and I have enjoyed them all. I really enjoy being a nurse and find my previous experience helps with my current career. I also have found that life is what you make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkFox View Post

So now, i'm stuck here pondering all of this; I guess I could try and correct the mistakes of the past, but i'm too old I think (23) to go through that all again.
    Although, I guess ,this is easy for me to say, I'm still going to say it.
    You're never too old, pursue your dreams.

I actually wanted to be a Machinist, being able to make nearly anything out of metal on lathes, milling machines, and other machine tools. I gave up because most places wouldn't hire me due to my skinny size just out of HS. They dealt with machining objects VERY large and heavy, and worried I'd get seriously hurt trying to handle them.

Instead I took a Drafter Trainee job at the local gas & electric utility co. and ended up working myself up through the ranks to retire in 2006 as a Senior Mechanical Designer. Never got to be the machinist I wanted to be, but I create the drawings machinists need to work from.

~Pramrider

Well I grew us wanting to be an architect, finaly got into school for it. Only to see that what I wanted was to make things that would last. To solve problems on my own terms. That only the idea of an arch would do this, because they have to give what the client wants. So now I am an artist. Would not say I am starving, but I am not selling out of work either. My goal is to reopen the studio that I had in highschool. Though this time I will make it my way. Back then I was limited with being under 18 and no degree. No bank would give me a loan to upgrade a business. Though I hope to have a Public art studio that not only has my own space to sell to people but a gallary, and studio space for rent to artist in the back. I just need to get ahold of a building about the size of a walmart and find a few artist that would like to make a "home" with me.

There is actually this same thread on the VIP forum, so no clue what will happen to it...But anyways...

I have no clue what I want to do with my life...

i never had any notions of what i wanted to do when i grew up, and i still don't. i was quite worried that that would be a big problem for me when i got to the age of adulthood, but so far it hasn't turned out to be any impediment at all. i'm quite happy and i work two different jobs, both of which i love. so if you're still in school and haven't come up with any winning career goals, i wouldn't fret too much about it.

Forensic scientist with all the forensic stuff and the human diaections and blood and crimes and murder and money and taking over the world and money and killing and criminals and taking over the world and taking over the world and taking over the world and taking over the world and taking over the world the list is endless

Dude84

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    There is actually this same thread on the VIP forum, so no clue what will happen to it...But anyways...

I have no clue what I want to do with my life...
    Actually Pojo, as you obviously haven't noticed, i'm not a VIP so I don't have access to that area. Aside from that, trying to search thousands (?) of posts for duplication is difficult, especially when the search function returns sometimes rather irrelevant results.

If it is closed or moved to the VIP area, I will complain accordingly.

--

Aside from that, thanks to everyone who's posted so far :-)