Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abena News: Speculation and Detials on the Comfort line Successor...

Default Abena News: Speculation and Detials on the Comfort line Successor...

It has been a long time coming, but very soon, we will have a new comfort range to replace the current plastic line.

I know this won't make many of you happy, but unfortunately, it is what it is. We've done what we can do to change Abena's mind, and... it may have actually helped!

I know you're all itching to hear the details, but first a history lesson!

Abena first introduced the Air-Plus about 6 or so years ago. It quickly gained a foot hold in the market, and has been eating away at the plastic range ever since.

In 2011, Abena introduced the Air-Plus "Premium". This created a bit of a buzz. Many people worried the plastic range was due to be discontinued, and they had reason to worry! Abena stopped making any reference to the plastic range on their website. However, this scare was forgotten, as at the time, the Air-Plus still didn't have enough of the market to warrant discontinuing the plastic.

However, I, being still paranoid about the situation, decided to investigate this issue myself. In October, I contacted several people to find out what the status was. Shockingly, I received this statement from Abena themselves:

"Abena is determined to be up front in concerning market demand and quality. Therefore we are also planning to move more and more in the direction of textile back sheets. However we are right now in the decision making process."

The reason this was so shocking is because the distributors I contacted were oblivious to these changes!

Abena was poised to discontinue the plastic range by the end of 2011, with the last day of production scheduled for January 12th 2012.

Thankfully, more people than myself were keen to this change, and Gary Evans, the owner XP Medical arranged a meeting with Abena. He allegedly went with with several pages of complaints about the Air-Plus Premium's several short-comings. Amazingly, days later, we received this from Abena:

"Dear all.

Normally I/we would have contacted you differently concerning updates on what the future will be for M4 + L4 in the Comfort range but since Christmas is coming within a few hours here in Denmark, I decided to quickly give you some feedback on what will happen to the above products as this is important for us all.

Based on the concerns you had on the consequences of especially moving M4 + L4 from PE and all the way to Premium (M4 + L4 will not be in the Comfort TBS range) it was this morning decided to put this project on hold for North America, so you will also after the 1st of February be able to purchase M4 + L4 in PE. As these two products accounts for a very large volume of our sales in the US, we will over the next 6 month have to find/decide on what the final assortment for the US/Canada should be. Having 4 ranges in our assortment (Delta TBS (future) Comfort PE, Comfort TBS and Premium) is not ideal.

As for the rest of Comfort PE range, we will not discontinue right now, but I still expect that we will not continue with the whole range for a long period. I hope to have more on this in the beginning of January.

I hope this helps and comforts many of the users out there. It has never been in our interest not to supply what users wants, but we still want to influence if we can. In the next month we will have to look further into the disadvantages of TBS/Premium from the point of end-users in North America, as we have not had any negative feedback from other markets. Our goal would be eventually to supply similar products to all markets. Will not be easy but maybe by working closer together on this project we might succeed ?

From us here in Denmark, we wish you all a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Abena International A/S
    "

A huge victory for the plastic range! It managed to ensure the M4/L4 in plastic for the year 2012 at least.

Since that, though, many users reported quality issues with the plastic Abenas. There were, in fact, problems with them. The plastic was thinner and louder. The leak guards were weaker. The product itself was lighter, and less flood resistant. A huge disappointment, as now we had sub-par plastic, or sub-par cloth!

I, and others, attributed this change to the upgrades Abena made to their machines to make the switch to cloth. I believe the issues are largely worked out now, and the quality is acceptable again.

Now, it has been four and a half months... We've heard nothing... Until now...

Abena is now working on the replacement comfort line, and a few details are starting to trickle in...

The new Comfort line will undoubtedly be cloth, but from what I understand, it will NOT be breathable!

So, What exactly does that mean?

Well, I can really only speculate until Abena gives me more information. However, the are two possibilities:

1. The new comfort line will be a completely redesigned diaper. It will include a plastic back-sheet covered by a cloth outer layer to address the leaking issues that plague the Air-Plus "Premium"

2. The new comfort line will be mostly the same as the current one. It will, however, have a cloth covering.

Based on the way things have transpired this past year, I'm leaning more towards option 2.

I honestly can't see Abena addressing the quality problems associated with the current Comfort line if they didn't intend to keep it largely the same.

So, what can we expect the new Comfort line to be like? Like I said, at this time, details are VERY limited...

What I expect is as follows:

Back sheet: The back sheet will still be largely plastic based. It will be covered with a cloth layer. I think they will keep the stretchy rear waistband. I have requested they keep this feature as I really do like it! I expect the designs to remain almost exactly the same. (Not revised to the look like the "Premium")

Wings: The wings will be completely cloth, very similar to the "Pemium". I am hoping they will be slightly thicker, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Fasteners: I'm pretty sure Abena will continue to use tapes as fasteners. I think the tapes on the Comfort line will remain different from the "Premium", though. They may keep the tapes as they are currently.

Like I said earlier, at this point, most of that IS speculation. What we are fairly certain of is the back sheet. As more concrete details arise, they will be posted.

But, one way or another, a new Comfort line is coming, whether we like it or not!
    Last edited by AbenaLeaf; 16-Apr-2012 at 10:40.

And when that happens, I'm sure a lot of folks will migrate to Bambino and Dry 24/7. And so far, the Bambino Teddy's I bought have worked very well. I will have to see, however, if these new Abenas would be suitable for work and doctor visits, where I'll need more of a "medical" look.

I don't think that Abena realizes wtf they are doing. The people wearing plastic backed diapers want to wear plastic backed diapers! Incontinent or one of us! I know I don't want to have an extra layer on the outside of the diaper for no reason at all other than a price jump. Its not necessary if the diapers aren't gonna be breathable. The price difference between the two is: cloth like M4 is $1.53 per diaper, the plastic backed is $1.42 per diaper. Paying 6 bucks just for the useless cloth on the back of diapers that do nothing to contribute anything. I really think that the plastic backed Abenas are selling probably just as well as the cloth backed ones, if not better. KCK Medical always lists their 5 best sellers, which is the plastic backed Abena, M then L. I think they are just trying to reduce production time to reduce labor and so forth and what not.

I wonder how much money they'll lose when people go to dry 247, secure X-plus and when we go to Bambino. The only way for them to "learn" is to not buy.

If you do the math Bambinos are cheaper than Abena.

Case Prices: MEDIUMS

Abena M4 Plastic Backed

Case of 42 $59.95 (via XPMedical)

$1.42 per diaper.

Cloth: $1.53 per diaper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bambino Teddy/Classico/Bianco (medium)

Case of 48 $65.96

$1.37 per diaper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Case Prices: LARGE

Abena L4

Case of 36 $59.95

$1.66 per diaper

Cloth $1.79 per diaper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bambino Teddy/Classico/Bianco (large)

Case of 48 $76.75

$1.59 per diaper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If Abena wants to get rid of half their market then let them learn from mistakes. (Sarcasm somewhat)

I don't see what the huge problem is. The cloth-like ones work fine from my experience and even if these news ones don't there's plenty of other companies to try. Diapers wont' go poof overnight. That, and there's actual cloth diapers as well for the other people. Plenty of choices, unlike the game industry and some publishers.. (*cough*ubisoft*cough*)

Quote Originally Posted by Honeywell6180 View Post
    And when that happens, I'm sure a lot of folks will migrate to Bambino and Dry 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    I wonder how much money they'll lose when people go to dry 247, secure X-plus and when we go to Bambino.
    That may be the case for some, but not for me.

I gave both of those products a shot, and realized they simply don't work well enough for me to warrant the kind of money they cost.

For some reason, on me, Dry24/7's leak on the first wetting. They also have a tendency to smell poorly very quickly, and sag quite badly. Secure X-Plus leaked so much at night for me, I literally woke up in a pond.

So, whatever Abena puts out, I'm stuck with, because the truth is, they make the best diapers, one way or another, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    I don't think that Abena realizes wtf they are doing. The people wearing plastic backed diapers want to wear plastic backed diapers! Incontinent or one of us!
    Strangely, for the first time in a long time, I think they DO know what they are doing…

If I'm right, and they go with option 2, we may very well end up with a product that even AB/DL's see as equal to the current one.

As bad as we think it is, the Air-Plus IS the best cloth backed diaper in the world. I'm pretty sure it's one of the only truly breathable ones, actually.

Abena has every potential to make the new Comfort line amazing...

Hopefully they can!

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
    The cloth-like ones work fine from my experience and even if these news ones don't there's plenty of other companies to try.
    Unfortunately, the current cloth products, (Air-Plus "Premium") do not work as well as Abena hoped. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing a non-breathable version at all.

The "Premium" has had a laundry list of problems that seem irreparable. The number one problem, though, is leaking straight through the back sheet! For costing more than the Comfort line, that is unacceptable!

Overall though, I think there is a pretty good chance they'll pull out something we'll like.

Believe it or not!

Yeah- that is my biggest concern with the switch to cloth-backed ones. I have had my gripes with them and I have used Abenas for the past few years and I have not had a problem with them. However, I am not looking forward to what they might produce with the cloth-backed ones. I will listen to what people say before I waste my money on them.

The reason I won't use Bambino diapers is trying to explain the baby-like designs I might indulge myself in with people who do see my diapers because of the fact I keep them stored in my bathroom in a small book-case without shelves converted to a diaper storage place. Which by the way I am working on getting curtains for anyway to hide them- ingenious if you ask me... lol.

I don't have a lot I can spend on diapers and even though I have considered the Dry 24/7s and the Wellness brand ones- the ones supposedly designed with NASA technology- I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money as I am on a fixed income. I had considered the Dry 24/7s but I have heard mixed reviews on them.

So- My view is this, basically it's the waiting game. Eh the waiting game sucks- let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos!- Homer Simpson- Sorry, I couldn't resist!

WildThing121675

Thank you AbenaLeaf!

Those Airplus Premium things are rubbish, the reality is the tapes just don't hold on and the backing sheet may as well be t-shirt material. Should they have a non breathable product that is still cloth backed it won't fix their problems just make a dodgy diaper more expensive.

I finally managed to buy some Delta M3s on a special order and the shop where I bought them from advised these are a redundant product now with Bunzl (Australias Abena distributor) only having 80 or so cases left.

I wear plastic backed for a reason, it doesn't chafe my legs. if/when they dump the comfort line in favor of plastic backed, they will automatically lose my business. BTW whats up with the latest case I just ordered? leg elastics detached from the gathers, thin and pinholey, I had heard their recent production was actually quite good. what gives?

even tho i prefer dry 24 7 mainly because im not ic and dont have to hid them on a regular basis i still love my m4's .in fact i just ordered another case the fact that there changing them is just sad my opinion they really are the best overall diaper you can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    I wear plastic backed for a reason, it doesn't chafe my legs. if/when they dump the comfort line in favor of plastic backed, they will automatically lose my business. BTW whats up with the latest case I just ordered? leg elastics detached from the gathers, thin and pinholey, I had heard their recent production was actually quite good. what gives?
    What was the manufacturing dates on them?

There was quite a big sting of really crappy ones.

---------- Post added 20-04-2012 at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was 16-04-2012 at 22:40 ----------

For those interested,

I expect we will start to see the new comfort line anytime between now and June/July at the latest.