Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipwrecks

Default Shipwrecks

How many of you like the topic of shipwrecks & have studied a lot about them? With the 100th Anniversary of the greatest ocean liner to ever set sail, the R.M.S. Titanic coming up on the 15th of April & the re-release of the blockbuster movie about her on Wednesday, I thought it'd be nice to bring this back up again!!

Plus with the recent tragedy off the coast of Italy, that being the sinking of the Costa Concordia after it hit a reef or rock formation & the loss of life due to it, shipwrecks have been brought front & center, as it is the first modern day cruise ship to sink like it did!!

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    How many of you like the topic of shipwrecks & have studied a lot about them?
    don't know about studying them, but i am British and, er. well, you know. to wit,

With the 100th Anniversary of the greatest ocean liner to ever set sail, the R.M.S. Titanic
    eh? what her sister ships, Britannic and Olympic, weren't they at least as great?
    Titanic's Sister Ships
    and, in terms of opulence [as a denoter of greatness], there's the Lusitania, to mention just one.

anyways, my hearties, we've got another stricken ship, of the coast of Wales.
    and, oh aye, nearly everybody over here has heard the shipping forecast - it's one of the best things on the radio! seriously!
    personally, i'm not a fan of the sea, itself. my grandad was in the merchant navy, as a stoker, and then in subs (in WW2) and even though lots of his other traits have been passed down to me, seafaring hasn't. i like my hills.

as for modern cruise ships: too tall and too shallow.

saw the colwyn bay wreck to day.........I'm sure there a polish driver joke in there somewhere but im not going to be that guy

How many of you like the topic of shipwrecks & have studied a lot about them? With the 100th Anniversary of the greatest ocean liner to ever set sail, the R.M.S. Titanic coming up on the 15th of April & the re-release of the blockbuster movie about her on Wednesday, I thought it'd be nice to bring this back up again!!

Plus with the recent tragedy off the coast of Italy, that being the sinking of the Costa Concordia after it hit a reef or rock formation & the loss of life due to it, shipwrecks have been brought front & center, as it is the first modern day cruise ship to sink like it did!!
    Psshh. The Andrea Doria was a way nicer ship.

I like reading about the older wrecks like the Andrea Doria, which I believe was off the coast of New Jersey. The Lusitania is an interesting one as well, though it was sunk by a German U boat. More interesting are the ghost ships which have appeared after being missing. The boats are found but with no crew. Everyone loves a mystery, and the ones which take place at sea are fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Psshh. The Andrea Doria was a way nicer ship.
    Maybe so, but no ship has ever captured the imagination & the wonder that the Titanic has!! There has been enough books to fill an entire library about her, just about the same amount of documentaries about her as well & at one time, the movie about her, was the biggest & highest grossing movie ever made!! While there have been other famous shipwrecks, as in the cases of the Lusitania & the Andrea Doria, along with the sister ship to Titanic, the Britannic, none can compare to or compete with what Titanic was!! Even as she is fading away on the ocean bottom, I do believe that even if she, the ship itself is gone, the name Titanic will never go away & her memory will remain strong!!

On a side note, this is my 1000th post & I am honored that this milestone for me here, is about the Titanic & I dedicate it to those who were lost on that night, April 15th, 1912!!

Althought the sinking of the "Titanic" is the greatest seabourne tragedy in modern times, the shipwreck of the Great Lakes freighter "Edmund Fitzgerald" on November 10, 1975 is also famous. The "Mighty Fitz" was an ore carrier on the Great Lakes usually carrying taconite iron ore from Duluth, MN or Superior, WS. to various ports in Michign or Ohio. On her last voyage she was carrying ore from Superior, WS to Detroit. On November 10th., she was caught in a massive storm on Lake Superior near Whitefish Bay. The vessel encountered hurricane force winds and seas of over 40 feet (12-13 meters). Around 7:15 PM that evening the "Edmund Fitzgerald" brouched and slipped into the depths of Lake Superior (on the Canadian side) coming to rest on the bottom of Lake Superior at a depth of 530 feet (160 meters), taking with her, her entire crew of 29 souls, no. No bodies were ever recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk View Post
    Althought the sinking of the "Titanic" is the greatest seabourne tragedy in modern times,
    List of maritime disasters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

actually, the Titanic tragedy is more hype than anything else. the ship was outdated before the keel was even laid, so it was never the technological marvel/wonder of the age that it's made out to be.
    as can inferred from the list of tragedies in the link, the real reasons for the overwhelming interest in the Titanic are a mix of racism, class, snobbery and other suchlike, and commercial exploitation.

another nifty link:h++p://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11635&page=1
    some of the info in that can also be found in tv documentary about rogue waves, in which a figure of 1 ship per week is reckoned to lost at sea [without any distress call being sent].
    h++p://www.mytvblog.org/?p=270

If I were a rich person I would invent my own Nautilus and go treasure diving in shipwrecks. And since I'm in the Nautilus, who's gonna stop me taking a few tons of precious stones and gold bars? Mexican coast, Bermuda Triangle, here I come!

Asher

I completely share this sentiment with you. Completely. Glad I'm not the only one who finds this all rather fascinating. And congrats on your 1000th post!

When I was young, I was completely obsessed with the Titanic and its sister ships. I still have all the books on my bookshelf (my favorite one being "1001 Things About The Titanic" or something along those lines; I read it over 30 times). It is quite nostalgic for me, and its always a treat to go back and read/look through all of the books. I'll be seeing the 3D movie this weekend, and I am quite excited for it.