Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Day With...

Default A Day With...

I had this odd dream a couple nights ago that I got to spend a day with an interesting historical person. In the dream I was supposed to have been able to choose but somehow I wound up wtih Enrico Fermi. Now this is nothing against Enrico Fermi and I explained to him that I was very much impressed with his accomplishments but he wasn't who I wanted to hang out with and there was clearly some kind of mix-up. As it turned out, he was pretty cool about it and there wasn't anything to be done; I could have the day with him or with no one, so we walked and talked. Neat, but I expect other people had better experiences.

The point of the thread I would hope is reasonably clear: if you could hang out for a day with historical person of note, who would it be? What would you want to do?

*A few provisos...a couple of quid pro quos

Interesting thread. If i had a choice i would probably pick Marx, just to see what was going on in his head and what his true views were, not how there betrayed now. I don't necessarily agree with his political views. i think he was a smart man though and it would be pretty interesting/fun to hang out with him. I think it would be neat to spend the day in nature on a hike or in a really peaceful setting. Just two guys, nature and politics.

As crazy as it sounds, if I had this opportunity, it would be Albert Einstein. wiki link for Einstein He was the level of genius and sometimes humor that has always peaked my curiosity and thoughtfulness.

Hopefully we could spend hours playing chess while I pick his brain regarding just about every single one of his theories and how they pretty much became the basis of quantum mechanics. I would even love to hear him explain the theory of relativity and maybe be able to give him one of my own examples of how it can be seen in a real world situation. Then, towards the end of the day, we could go to the park and watch the sunset while sitting and thinking and just small talking. Of course, I would also field any questions that he would have about today's world and how different it is compared to back in his time line. You figure anyone from the past (even though they are dead) would be equally interested in the "future" world because it's new and different to them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripped View Post
    As crazy as it sounds, if I had this opportunity, it would be Albert Einstein. wiki link for Einstein He was the level of genius and sometimes humor that has always peaked my curiosity and thoughtfulness.
    I even kidded Fermi in the dream about how although he was certainly brilliant, he was no Einstein. He took it very well. I think he might have been the one I had down on my dream list originally.

Hopefully we could spend hours playing chess while I pick his brain regarding just about every single one of his theories and how they pretty much became the basis of quantum mechanics. I would even love to hear him explain the theory of relativity and maybe be able to give him one of my own examples of how it can be seen in a real world situation. Then, towards the end of the day, we could go to the park and watch the sunset while sitting and thinking and just small talking. Of course, I would also field any questions that he would have about today's world and how different it is compared to back in his time line. You figure anyone from the past (even though they are dead) would be equally interested in the "future" world because it's new and different to them, right?
    Sounds like a pretty good time. Since the dream, I'm feeling more inclined to give Fermi the benefit of the doubt, though.

I totally was gonna go for Eintein as well. He was so reluctant to dismiss quantum mechanics, famously saying "He (God) does not throw dice." I'd love to have a long discussion about our current breakthroughs and understandings in science that he helped pioneer. But If I get a mix up I'd probably be happy to chat with any physicist. I wonder how they would take it. I'd love to discuss how they feel too about their current state of temporary existence. Would they have any new wisdom to part on the world?

Yuki9689

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozyCat View Post
    But If I get a mix up I'd probably be happy to chat with any physicist.
    Off topic: What about Sheldon Cooper?

I would probably pick to talk to Pope John XXIII, as I admire his ideas for Vatican II greatly, and I'd love to interview him on how the title of Pope weighed down on him in his old age. If I had to pick a non-religion-based person to spend the day with Frank Sinatra. Honestly, I'd be happy for the rest of my life if I was able to learn something from a man of that talent. I know he hasn't impacted history as much as people like Marx or Einstein, but technically he is a memorable historical figure.

I would like to hang out with N. Tesla and get his views on current technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki9689 View Post

1. he wouldn't hang out with probably any of us, or really any one in general.
    2. You don't get to decide what you two will do. HE will decided what he's going to do and if you can possibly tag along.
    3. he is a theoretical physicist, not a physicist. He would also call you out on that as well.
    4. he's fictional.
    Last edited by Fire2box; 30-Mar-2012 at 05:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki9689 View Post
    Like Fire2box said he's fictional. At my University, UT Austin I did get to meet and chat with the physicist in charge of all of the science that they put in the show. He's nothing special

Sheldon is fictional, I have friends that can be just as nerdy and as interesting as him, even if he was real....and deceased since that's the subject here o.o? I'd still much prefer REAL scientists :p

Yuki9689

Quote Originally Posted by SnoozyCat View Post
    and deceased since that's the subject here o.o?
    Twas a joke I know he's not real/dead, but I'm pretty sure that people think about killing him in every episode... Close enough, right?... No?... Whatever.

I'd mention someone I'd like to meet, but I can't think of anybody... At least not for a good reason. I guess I'd say Napoleon, but that's only because he's one of my ancestors.