Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've never gotten why...

Default I've never gotten why...

We say you can't have your cake and eat it too. What the fuck's the point of having cake if you can't eat it?

Anyone else have anything like this they've never understood?

gayteenbaby69

well, if you eat your cake your a naughty boy who deserves to get punished.

Yes! I once heard it expressed as "You can't have your cake and the icing too," but that made even less sense to me. I mean, the icing is normally a reasonably integral part of the cake, so trying to eat only the cakey part seems silly and wasteful. Unless the having your cake and eating it too thing is more of a "You can either have a piece of cake that you could eat, or you can eat the cake and have no cake for later, but not both" sort of thing?

I dunno, it's a stupid expression that I don't really ever use because it's a stupid expression. Also, blood from a turnip.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    I once heard it expressed as "You can't have your cake and the icing too," but that made even less sense to me. I mean, the icing is normally a reasonably integral part of the cake, so trying to eat only the cakey part seems silly and wasteful.
    And really, really dry.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Also, blood from a turnip.
    I can get blood from a turnip. Are you doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    I can get blood from a turnip. Are you doing something wrong?
    But, but, what if you make it cry?

teddybear206

Quote Originally Posted by gayteenbaby69 View Post
    well, if you eat your cake your a naughty boy who deserves to get punished.
    then i shouldent have eaten that should i...

I think it's sort of like how a good cake can look very pretty (e.g. a wedding cake), and used to be highly personalized (before you just went to a store to buy it), so on the one hand you want to eat it, but on the other you don't want to "ruin" it by cutting it up and eating it. That's my interpretation of it, but I also find it to be a stupid saying.

It gets fuzzy in the use of English. The point of it is if you eat the cake you no longer have the cake in front of you or available for other things (serving to guests, throwing at a stooge, etc.). You've had the cake but you don't have it. The meaning of this saying appears in many languages and most are clearer than English: Have one's cake and eat it too - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Cherub

For me, the way I interpret how that saying works is like the following example:

Say you and your friends are going to go see a movie. You have $15 on you, to get into the movies. While walking through the mall to get to the theater, you walk past a store that has an item that you have been wanting. Now, let's say the item is on sale for $15. You could buy the item you saw at the store, but then you wouldn't have enough money to go to the movies with your friends.

So, here's how the saying works:
    You can't have your cake = the item you saw in the store
    and eat it too = and also go to the movies after you've spent your $15

To me, it basically means you can't have something both ways, you either choose one or the other, but you can't have both.

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    For me, the way I interpret how that saying works is like the following example:

Say you and your friends are going to go see a movie. You have $15 on you, to get into the movies. While walking through the mall to get to the theater, you walk past a store that has an item that you have been wanting. Now, let's say the item is on sale for $15. You could buy the item you saw at the store, but then you wouldn't have enough money to go to the movies with your friends.

So, here's how the saying works:
    You can't have your cake = the item you saw in the store
    and eat it too = and also go to the movies after you've spent your $15

To me, it basically means you can't have something both ways, you either choose one or the other, but you can't have both.
    I think they understand what the saying means, but not why it is used. The saying itself is terrible, because there isn't really a use for a cake except to eat it, so why would you want to "have" the cake, but not eat it?