Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My very first split ><

Default My very first split ><

Oh no...I really hope this isn't a regular occurrence...

This afternoon, I decided to get a bit cubby and got into one of my Bambino Bellissimos. I love them and have had nothing but good experiences with Bambino products. However, much to my chagrin, upon changing out of my padding, I found that I had a split right down the back.

Now, I am not too big for them; they fit perfectly and my waist size is actually below the lower end of the range listed on the product. I did no strenuous exercise or even much movement at all while wearing them. I have worn them before and it's never occurred.

I think I have seen mention of this happening to others before. Any help on the matter would be appreciated. If you have fallen victim to this before, did it happen with every one in the pack? If so, did you attempt to contact the company and work something out?

Thank you kindly ^^

I haven't ever bought anything from them, but I what I would do in your situation is try a couple more, and if it happens again, call them and see what you can do to work out a deal with them. Hope it works out

I've never had that happen myself.

I figure, with Abenas at least, the only way that would happen is actually puncturing the back sheet somehow, and then bending down.

I always wear an Abri-Fix when out and about to keep the padding from breaking up, and things from tearing the back sheet. I've seen people rip an Abena easily when they were unprotected, but I guess I've been careful enough to not do that myself.

AmbezeSubHealth

the ones I've worn are incredible I got the 2nd generation. Expanded a lot and didn't split.

Yes I have had that happen. No I have never contacted them to work anything out. Products are bound to have issues and I have worn a lot of diapers and these really are one of the best out there. Have you tried there 2nd generation. I had it happen on there 1st generation, but the 2nd generation Bellissimo is stronger. Its a different plastic, They said this should fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post
    Oh no...I really hope this isn't a regular occurrence...

This afternoon, I decided to get a bit cubby and got into one of my Bambino Bellissimos. I love them and have had nothing but good experiences with Bambino products. However, much to my chagrin, upon changing out of my padding, I found that I had a split right down the back.

Now, I am not too big for them; they fit perfectly and my waist size is actually below the lower end of the range listed on the product. I did no strenuous exercise or even much movement at all while wearing them. I have worn them before and it's never occurred.

I think I have seen mention of this happening to others before. Any help on the matter would be appreciated. If you have fallen victim to this before, did it happen with every one in the pack? If so, did you attempt to contact the company and work something out?

Thank you kindly ^^

Yes, I've had that happen, but only once, and with only one diaper in the pack. It was a Molicare. I figure, with any mass-produced item, duds are bound to happen from time to time. Since it happened only that once, I never bothered to contact anyone.

I had a few splits but they are with the cheaply made, Riteaid's Tugaboos Overnights,the leak guard splits with the plastic backing spilling out the SAP

I had one split out of 2 Bellissimo packs. These were from the "1st gen" batch that I received around October 2011. I believe the split occurred some time while I was sleeping--so nothing too strenuous--and it was only slightly damp in the back. The rest of the Bellissimos, which did not split even when at capacity, were worn either sleeping or out and about (mostly walking and lots of get up/sit down movement).

I'm at the bottom end of the size range for mediums. I think the biggest problem when I had a split was that the top tapes were too tight. They were putting quite a lot of tension on the back of the plastic, especially the upper part. Every diaper after that, I have deliberately left the top tapes a little looser than I might ordinarily like and then check by feeling the back plastic to make sure it is not stretched taut. I angle the waist tapes downwards a little; seems to help get a better fit (less gapping at the waistband) without pulling the tapes too tight. I wear a onesie or at least some snug boxers to help with any sagging that might occur due to the looser taping.

Since you say you are actually below the size range for mediums, I'm betting that the issue was caused by taping too tightly. (OK, so Bambino could have used stretchier plastic, too--hopefully that is addressed with the "2nd gen," assuming what you have are "1st gen".)

I haven't tried the "2nd gen" Bellissimos yet, though I have tried the newest Teddies (got 'em last week) and the tapes are a whole new level of sticky. They also aren't prone to breaking off. I hope the new super sticky tapes have been included on the new Bellissimos (and this is probably the case).

I had that happen with a batch of Teddy bambinos I got about a year ago...was as simple as bending over to grab something and *krrrrrip*. Then it happened when changing into one(Adjusting the back of the diaper, and boom)

Course I think that was a faulty run. Probably the same as the Bellissimos currently. They're fast about fixing the issues they do run into fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post

YES. This has been my biggest problem with bambinos. (both teddy and belissimo) What's happening is the material is getting folded vertically at the butt-crack back and forth, slightly weakening it. Then the top tapes are pulling on it, causing it to split. (usually with what sounds and feels like a "tape pop")

I'm pretty frugal with my diapers, and I don't wet all that often, so I will shimmy out of them in the morning and change to a thinner diaper for the day, and then back into them for the next night. I can usually wear the same diaper overnight 3 nights before it starts to clump a little etc. I was noticing after day 1 or 2 I could see stretching happening right there in the plastic and knew it would split on the next wear. When I lay on my side and raise my knees to curl up, I felt the diaper tense up. Put a hand back there and I could feel that area go from loose to tight as a drum as I curled up, and realized that's what was causing it to split. I then recalled hearing/feeling the pop that last night when I tried to curl up a bit.

I tried different things to prevent and correct the problem. I would have preferred clear packing tape, but it doesn't stay stuck to the shell very well and comes off at the ends, and is peeled away by morning with all the tossing I do at night. So I went with duct tape. I don't care for the look of duct tape on my diaper, but I don't see it in the back so it's ok. First attempts were to check the plastic and tape vertically when I saw it stretch. That just caused it to start stretching again at the sides of the tape, so it didn't work too well.

Now what I do is right when I pull one out of the bag I place about a 1 ft strip of grey tape horizontally across the back. Check where it split, and place the tape to crosss over that area. (my positioning has the tape just passing by the end of the elastic on the sides) Be sure to have the diaper spread out and flat when you do this. The tape doesn't need to go all the way from one side to the other, mine stops about an inch from the end of the padding. About a foot of tape works well. I have only been doing this for the last few weeks, but have yet to encounter another split. I've been thankful to never have a split with my diaper wet.

Although it's been ages since I broke a tape, I still find that the tapes slowly pull away from the rear panel though. After a wear or two I sometimes add a 1/2 width 6" or so strip of grey tape over them also. If you come up with a better solution let me know.

Being fair to Bambino over this, we're wearing them for a lot longer than they were designed to last. They're not meant to be clothes worn for extended time, they're meant to last maybe 4 hrs (day) or 8 hrs (night) on the average. So they're holding up well considering our overuse. BUT... I don't have either of these problems with my L3's.

And yes, I did talk briefly with them about this issue. I had several unexpected splits when I got my first case of belissimo. I was taping them on way too tight though. They responded by saying their product testers had not encountered this problem prior to official sale. I wonder how I can become a product tester?

And remember not to tape the tops too tight. The elastic in the front should be LOOSE, and it will tense up when you bend over or curl up. If it's already tight when you're standing, it's going to force the diaper to stretch when you bend over or curl up.