Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids today are so disrespectful today, Why?

Default Kids today are so disrespectful today, Why?

What's your conclusion why today's kids act so desrespectful?

I mean when I was growing up I didn't do anything wrong
    and if I did my "mom" would beat my a**
    (Which she also did when I wasn't doing anything, Not the point)
    I saw a girl today punching/kicking her mom (age around 10)
    for a candy bar?
    her mom said calmly I can't afford it right now, next time
    not just that 90% of kids today are disrespectful
    parents might not have time for there kids
    but c'mon that's no excuse
    Why am I so respecful? *thinks*
    Last edited by TheReject; 21-Mar-2012 at 01:26. Reason: Fixed Mispelings.

You are seeing one case. I dont see how you got "90% of kids today are disrespectful". Is there source or article?
    Some kids are disrespectful but I feel most are not. (Maybe thats just me:/ )

DrunknFox

Parents just got lazier and lazier, thats what I learned. My brother especially is pretty much a tool even though he's 11. He's done everything we were told not to do.
    But I see kids as old as 17 being disrespectful. A couple of 17yo kids walked into my store the other day, walked around while making a mess, and left 30 minutes later without buying anything. I guess its just how you're raised...

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBoyGeorgie View Post
    I mean when I was growing up I didn't do anything wrong
    and if I did my "mom" would beat my a**
    (
    I honestly believe that has a lot to do with it right there. My folks were the same way when I was a kid. As an example, my brother and I could go out to eat as a family, we could hold conversations and the like, but we knew not to act up too much because we knew what was going to happen when we got home...where there were no witnesses...

That was back in the early 90's mind you, and times have apparently changed. Nowdays parent's can't even touch a kid for fear of having CPS/protective services busting down their door with restraining orders in hand. Now, lemme clarify something; I do NOT condone beating kids with any tool; but I do whole heartedly believe in a true spanking to keep 'em in line. EG with the palm of a hand to their backside; nothing more.

Food for thought, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Attributed to Socrates, though it's suspect...
    The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
    ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Hesiod
    I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint
    Children have always been disrespectful, it's just easier to notice the kids that are complete douchenozzles than the ones that are actually polite, because the polite ones don't make themselves heard. People have been complaining that all future generations are disrespectful for literally thousands of years.

As for hitting, there's plenty of studies that show hitting provides only some short-term benefits, and some serious long-term consequences. As a group, children who are hit as a form of punishment generally act more aggressively when they are older than children who are not hit.

Also, I'm against hitting just on the surface of things. Basically, hitting a kid is telling them "I'm right because I have the power to hurt you".

After having a discussion with people that think hitting kids works because they were hit, alongside people who are against hitting, one thing seemed to be common in both groups. After the punishment (grounding or hitting), the parent would usually talk to the child and explain what they did wrong in a way they could understand, and try to teach some empathy. Unfortunately, a parent that uses hitting to enforce their will is probably a parent that's not willing to take the time to talk to the kid and just wants a "quick fix".

This is a very hard area to study because of ethical guidelines. You can't sort people randomly and force some parents to spank their kids, so there could be biological factors playing into it. You can only study what parents choose to do regardless of the study you're conducting. Maybe the biological predisposition to resort to violence to solve your problems (i.e. parents more likely to resort to spanking to discipline a child) is passed down to the kid(s), and that's why they are more likely to be aggressive when they are older.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
    You are seeing one case. I dont see how you got "90% of kids today are disrespectful". Is there source or article?
    Some kids are disrespectful but I feel most are not. (Maybe thats just me:/ )
    Maybe the 90% was a little high, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto123 View Post
    Parents just got lazier and lazier, thats what I learned. My brother especially is pretty much a tool even though he's 11. He's done everything we were told not to do.
    But I see kids as old as 17 being disrespectful. A couple of 17yo kids walked into my store the other day, walked around while making a mess, and left 30 minutes later without buying anything. I guess its just how you're raised...
    How does "shopping" lead to being raised? Also, you could have asked them to leave.

I work/teach at a junior high which has most of its student body coming from the inner city of Lynchurg. To be honest, I see all kinds. The students who are disrespectful, and especially the ones who are extremely disrespectful can be a nightmare. Most of the students are what I consider to be normal, behaving kids. They have their faults, but they're 11 - 14 in age. The frontal lobe of the brain hasn't completely developed and so immature behavior is expected.

There are those students however, who are a product of bad parenting. In the more extreme cases, mom was on the crack pipe when she was pregnant. The lack of care and concern continue as these kids learn how to raise themselves. These are the extreme examples. Today, so many parents work, some two jobs. They come home not just tired, but exhausted. The TV become the baby sitter while mom gets dinner. In half the households, there is no dad. Often the family doesn't eat together. They lose the opportunity to talk about the day, a place where values can be taught. A lot of these kids are on their own as well. It's surprising how many survive quite well, and learn the social graces needed to compete in an ever demanding business world.

I think our society is hard on parents and their kids. It takes work and effort to be a good parent. Kids learn respect, manners, and social graces from adults. My wife and I tried hard with our kids. I was exhausted when I read to them in the evening. Our vacations were in the north woods of Canada and we took the time to teach those things which we thought were important in life. Now our kids all have their Master's degree, and our daughter her doctorate. They've done well because we gave them all we had to give. Compare that to kids who live on the streets, with no real home moral ground.

DrunknFox

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
    How does "shopping" lead to being raised? Also, you could have asked them to leave.
    No, its the fact that they were incredibly disrespectful to other people's property. They figure if it's not theirs, then it doesn't matter what happens to it.

I dunno...maybe you're just coming across the wrong kids.
    I live in a low-income area of the city (mostly 'cause I have a low income and can't afford the more upscale areas). I have been pleasantly surprised on more than one occasion by the kids in my building who have held the door for me, held the elevator (and the door) while I stopped to check my mail in the lobby. They ask what floor when I get in the elevator with them, or say 'floor #, please' if I happen to be the one standing by the panel.
    My own granddaughter is 6, and she says please and thank you. She offers to help if someone is doing something.
    Oddly I've had doors slammed in my face by men my own age (so it is obviously not a 'sign of the times'), when 15 year old boys will hold it open!