Thread: John Carter

I loved it, but it's not for everyone. If you like odd sci fi, historical fiction and Disney versions of action/adventure then it is great. I also really liked the older film which is more or less the exact same move called princess of mars.

I just made a Vlog entry that I posted the link to on my Adisc blog.

For the most part I loved it. It was the first 3D movie I have ever seen, if you don't count an educational film about the history of 3D when I was on a tenth grade field trip, which I don't. I don't think it's what you would call a memorable film. More like the kind of movie you watched in school when your teachers were all ready mentally starting their vacations, etc.

Weird as it was I enjoyed it, at first the start just felt like a flimsy excuse to tell the story but at the end it becomes clear why they chose to tell it that way.

You mean the idea that Edgar Rice Burroughs was the recipient of his "uncle's" journal?

I liked it, but then I was a huge fan of the books when I was 10-12 years old. It followed the first book maybe 70%, borrowed 15% from the second book (Gods of Mars), and made up 15%.

The movie had less nudity and graphic violence than the book. Hard to believe for a story written 100 years ago.

I judge movies and books on their own merits. I find it's unfair to compare a movie to the book because they're two different art forms done with entirely different mediums. I've seen some crappy movie adaptations *cough*Queen of the Damned*cough* and then I've seen some movies that were actually a compliment to the books like the first two Chronicles of Narnia films.

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    You mean the idea that Edgar Rice Burroughs was the recipient of his "uncle's" journal?
    That is the only part of the movie that is accurate to the book.

The Therns are more powerful in the movie and did things in the movie that they couldn't possibly do in the book. The who interaction between Tars Tarkas and Tal Hajus was flipped around, and the wedding take place in Zodanga in the book and in Helium in the movie. I was really disappointed by this movie. What else, Carter's gold mining partner fought for the South, not the North like in the movie.

The movie was plain stupid. The only reason to watch it is because of the really cool airships. Never trust Disney to do anything right. At least they got more right with this Edgar Rice Burroughs movie than all the Tarzan movies put together.

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    I judge movies and books on their own merits. I find it's unfair to compare a movie to the book because they're two different art forms done with entirely different mediums. I've seen some crappy movie adaptations *cough*Queen of the Damned*cough* and then I've seen some movies that were actually a compliment to the books like the first two Chronicles of Narnia films.
    How were they? The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my second favorite book in the series. I thought the movie was absolutely horrible and turned it off about halfway (when Lucy reads the book in the Dufflepuds sequence). I think there are less than five times in my life I gave up on a movie just because it was bad. It actually made me disinclined to watch The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as well as Prince Caspian. Prince Caspian was my least favorite book, in any case.