Page 1 of 96 123451121314151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 955

Thread: Atheists

  1. #1

    Question Atheists

    If you don't want to share, that's fine, but I was curious how many other people on this website were atheists, along with myself. I think the idea of a god is about as ludicrous as saying three walking talking pigs made house, each making their own house, and then a walking talking wolf comes up and blows their houses down with solely his breath. I believe things can only exist as long as their is either solid evidence to prove it or a very well supported reason as to why it might. Religion is crowd control, as one of my atheist friends said. Truer words have never been spoken.

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing View Post
    If you don't want to share, that's fine, but I was curious how many other people on this website were atheists, along with myself. I think the idea of a god is about as ludicrous as saying three walking talking pigs made house, each making their own house, and then a walking talking wolf comes up and blows their houses down with solely his breath. I believe things can only exist as long as their is either solid evidence to prove it or a very well supported reason as to why it might. Religion is crowd control, as one of my atheist friends said. Truer words have never been spoken.
    Someone ran a poll thread on this about 18 months ago, and well, you can see the results for your self if you follow this link:
    http://www.adisc.org/forum/mature-to...on-survey.html

    aprox results were what I would expect: 1/2 non-religious, 1/3 Christianity and then a few of everyone else.

  3. #3

    Default

    I say this a lot. I'm a Christian, and I have many atheist friends, a couple from this site (So I know they're here.) But I don't understand the purpose of trying to tear down religion. This is a constant theme on the internet and it gets tiresome. If everyone would leave everyone else alone, people would be a lot happier.

    And yes, that applies to the bible thumpers who try to shove their beliefs on everyone else as well. That also gets on my nerves.

    I'm not sure if that was your intent or not, but that's how it read to me. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm what's known as an agnostic-atheist. That basically means that I don't know if there is a God or not, but I chose not to believe in one. What I cannot stand, however, is when someone of any religion (or lack of) rants on about how religion is a ridiculous and idiotic.

    There is no greater ignorance than shoving "I'm right and you're wrong" into people's faces when it comes to religion.

    Religion is a beautiful thing. It helps people get through the day. It helps people recover from tragedies. Overall, religion helps people.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post
    ..But I don't understand the purpose of trying to tear down religion. This is a constant theme on the internet and it gets tiresome. If everyone would leave everyone else alone, people would be a lot happier.....
    You gotta see it from our point of view: we keep tearing religion down, and it keeps getting back up again... it's like Terminator (or Jesus) IT JUST WONT DIE!!! ;-p

    seriously though, people who are atheists and strong faith religious tend to have something in common: they want to be RIGHT. That's not to say they're the kind of people who can't admit they're wrong, but they really don't want to be wrong. They'd pick "knowing the truth" over "believe whatever makes me happy."
    It's good that there are people like that in the world, and it's often helpful to the person concerned, but it does come with side effects.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm am too an atheist (agnostic atheist if you want to be technical), though I don't find anyone's religious beliefs or lack there of ludicrous (to an extent, extremists being an exception). I'm am simply indifferent to it. I do believe in religious tolerance though, and respect for other's beliefs. But I choose not to follow religion until sufficient evidence is provided.

    I know (by logical reasoning) that it's not physically possible for us to know if there is a higher power or not. The way I see it; if we are all in a room and we are told that there is a clock in the next room, we can choose to believe that there is a clock there or not. Some people think its a blue clock, some people think its a red clock, some people think that there is no clock at all. Either way, we can't know for sure until we get into that room.

    I'm just a guy saying "Really? Show me". And since I can't be shown, I simply won't waste time thinking that it's there.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    Religion is a beautiful thing. It helps people get through the day. It helps people recover from tragedies. Overall, religion helps people.
    That's pretty arguable. It makes and has made many people very unhappy, and it regularly creates tragedies.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ClaraRiddle View Post
    That's pretty arguable. It makes and has made many people very unhappy, and it regularly creates tragedies.
    You also hear stories almost daily about people who give credit to their religion/God/whatever for helping them get through a tragedy. While there have been conflicts caused by religion, religion has also brought a lot of people together and helped people in difficult times.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ClaraRiddle View Post
    That's pretty arguable. It makes and has made many people very unhappy, and it regularly creates tragedies.
    There are much fewer radicals and extremists than there are people who actually use their faith to make their lives better.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ClaraRiddle View Post
    You gotta see it from our point of view: we keep tearing religion down, and it keeps getting back up again... it's like Terminator (or Jesus) IT JUST WONT DIE!!! ;-p

    seriously though, people who are atheists and strong faith religious tend to have something in common: they want to be RIGHT. That's not to say they're the kind of people who can't admit they're wrong, but they really don't want to be wrong. They'd pick "knowing the truth" over "believe whatever makes me happy."
    It's good that there are people like that in the world, and it's often helpful to the person concerned, but it does come with side effects.
    And that's perfectly fine. I want to be right too, and I believe I am. But I'm not going to force someone to believe what I do. I'm going to keep to myself. If I end up being right, maybe then I'll gloat a little bit. :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.