Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The book you are reading...

weswissa

Default The book you are reading...

Tell everyone what you are reading and discuss it. I am reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. It is a good book except for Sirius dieing, I always cry when I read it. I'm such a wuss. I'm reading all seven of the books in succession because I am bored. After I get done reading the seven books. I will read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I loved The Da Vinci Code and a friend told me this was the prequel. So I am going to read it. There I have discussed my book, discuss yours.

I am a strange loop by Douglas Hofstadter. Great book, I just need to finish it. It's much about Hofstadter's thoughts on how the human mind works and about self-referential systems. I'll write more about it later but I need to sleep now .

Alex Rider #5-Scorpia

Synopsis
    Alex Rider, the spitting image of his father in so many ways, is about to find out just how closely he is his father's son. When Alex learns that his father was an assassin for Scorpia, the most powerful terrorist organization going, his world shatters. Now Scorpia wants Alex on their side, and Alex wages a war of conscience he no longer has the will to win. Until, that is, he learns of Scorpia's latest plot: an operation known only as "Invisible Sword" that will result in the death of thousands of people. Unless he can stop it first . . .

weswissa

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin Himura View Post
    Alex Rider #5-Scorpia

Synopsis
    Alex Rider, the spitting image of his father in so many ways, is about to find out just how closely he is his father's son. When Alex learns that his father was an assassin for Scorpia, the most powerful terrorist organization going, his world shatters. Now Scorpia wants Alex on their side, and Alex wages a war of conscience he no longer has the will to win. Until, that is, he learns of Scorpia's latest plot: an operation known only as "Invisible Sword" that will result in the death of thousands of people. Unless he can stop it first . . .
    Is that the back of the book...

I recently finished all three books in "The Golden Compass" trilogy. These were very strange books indeed. They were written for kids, but talk about higher church doctrine, and I think it would be way over their heads. The author tries to push his own agenda on the reader. He's an agnostic, hates the organized church, and pushes homosexuality. In the third book, two gay angels are kissing, etc. I read the books for our librarian because she wasn't sure if they were appropriate for Jr. High kids. I said I thought there was a lot they would not understand.

Personally, I thought they were well written, but that they weren't really written for children, and they were too childish for adults, not that I don't mind childish, it just needs to be the right kind of childishness. I objected to the fact that all of the bad guys were people of the church. I know that organized religion has made a lot of mistakes along the way, but this bashing was ridiculous. I also thought that the ending was very unsatisfying. The boy did not get the girl, but again, I think the author was pushing his own sexual agenda.

Naked Lunch by William Burroughs.

It's an experimental novel with some sci fiction characteristics, and is an autobiography of his 25 year drug addiction, his experience with homosexuality and his encounters with other oddities of the drug world. (Not including homosexuality, don't get me wrong, that's a different subject).

Unless your a tough reader, this book needs at least one more re-reading to comprehend it. It's hard to keep up with it's developments, as he often skips into something different during mid sentence, switches from dialogue to storyline, stops the scenario to write a chapter about a totally different experience, etc. As said, it's rather experimental in it's genre.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I recently finished all three books in "The Golden Compass" trilogy. These were very strange books indeed. They were written for kids, but talk about higher church doctrine, and I think it would be way over their heads. The author tries to push his own agenda on the reader. He's an agnostic, hates the organized church, and pushes homosexuality. In the third book, two gay angels are kissing, etc. I read the books for our librarian because she wasn't sure if they were appropriate for Jr. High kids. I said I thought there was a lot they would not understand.

Personally, I thought they were well written, but that they weren't really written for children, and they were too childish for adults, not that I don't mind childish, it just needs to be the right kind of childishness. I objected to the fact that all of the bad guys were people of the church. I know that organized religion has made a lot of mistakes along the way, but this bashing was ridiculous. I also thought that the ending was very unsatisfying. The boy did not get the girl, but again, I think the author was pushing his own sexual agenda.
    The trilogy is called His Dark Materials, not The Golden Compass. The Golden Compass is just the name the first book was published under in North America for some reason when it was known as Northern Lights everywhere else.

Anyway, I read them as a kid (teen for the last one) and absolutely adored them. Pullman doesn't push his ideas anymore than C. S. Lewis did in Narnia and I love how he doesn't talk down to his readers and actually explores properly interesting ideas. I don't get the 'sexual agenda' bit at all, there were gay characters, sure, but there should be gay characters in any book - children's or otherwise - with such a large cast of characters. I don't think he was pushing anything there, he just wasn't whitewashing it either. It is brilliantly written so as to keep the attention of children but also fiercely intelligent and interesting. Exactly the sort of thing kids should be reading. I also loved the ending, incidentally; bittersweet, poignant, brave enough not to follow convention and rather quite moving, I thought.

As for me, I just finished The Constant Gardener, which was a good read and an interesting diversion from John Le Carre's earlier career. All the interesting plot twists, tensions and motivations you would expect but a modern setting which makes it a bit more accessible than his older Cold War stuff. Right now I'm reading Corridors of Power by C. P. Snow. Not a great book by any means- the characterisation is markedly poor and his writing is very, very dry - but if you've an interest in the machinations and workings of the British political system it is quite illuminating.

Next on the list is Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol in an attempt to continue sampling some of the Russian greats.

"his dark materials" is the series that got me into reading. i was about 13 so it was perfect.

the book i'm reading now thought is much better and i recomend it to everyone. it's "the legend of drizzt" by R.A. Salvator. there's 13 books in the whole series, but the story is broken up at about 3 books each. i'm on the 6th book called "the halflings Gem" and it's incredable. the book has a fantacy setting, similer to the lord of the rings. it has drizzt the dark elf, brunor the dworf, reigis the halfling, wulfgar the barbarian, and catti-brie the human as main characters. it's a bizzar mix, but it makes for an amazing story. the story line is increadable with many twists and turns, but the best part are the fight scenes. there are constantly battles where the 5 fight for their lives. at one point, the 5 have to fight a deamon black dragon that didn't breath poison like most black dragons, but it breathed a black cloud that saped you will to fight.

over all, it's the best story i've ever read.

I'm currently reading: Hot Rod Magizine..

the current book im reading is Silverwing. Really good so far!