Thread: Things I've got up to with my teddy bear

Default Things I've got up to with my teddy bear

Morning all,

I'm still being a naughty little boy and not going to bed so I can mess around. So I'll mess around about by telling you some of the things that I've got up to with my teddy bear Butter. Here he is:

My daddy got him for me for Christmas in 2004 and I decided to call him Butter because he is golden of colour and soft to the touch. And also fat He is so lovely, happy and cuddly (and he was bought by daddy rather than me) he instantly replaced my old bear and I sleep with him every night. I wake up if I drop him, so I'm clearly attached!

So attached that he comes with me everywhere, even if he usually doesn't come out of my bag. Sometimes he does, though.

I fly abroad reasonably regularly and I can assure you that being well-dressed and carrying a cuddly bear gets you far more propositions than you get asked if you are a nervous flier When I last flew to Australia four of the cabin crew gave me their numbers in case I wanted to meet up when I got there and I got a trip to the cockpit and took some pictures of Butter on the dashboard.

Unfortunately, I've spent a bit of time in hospital in recent years but Butter has always been a hit with the nurses and definitely makes them warm to me. Last time I was in, and I was in a rather poor state alas, one nurse would give Butter and me together a goodnight hug before she turned the lights off When I have left my bed and come back to find it made Butter is usually tucked in with his head on the pillow.

One doctor did a funny thing when I went for some endoscopic surgery on my stomach. Butter was at the end of my trolley. The surgeon said, "If that teddy bear is going to be in here he needs to be properly attired. Put a mask on him, nurse!" The nurses all laughed and one tied a green surgical around Butter's face; I felt more relaxed

All my close friends know I have Butter and when I'm visiting he often comes out for general cuddling purposes. Several friends are of the age where they have young children and with the last few visits to some it has been a real fight insisting that he is mine and not for other children to purloin. Almost all my female friends, and female partners of my friends, ask to hold or cuddle Butter when he emerges, but not a single male friend (apart from other ABs) has been uninhibited enough to do so. The misery-guts!

At the end of last year Butter was looking a bit tried and saggy, he had been loved so much, so I thought I'd get him re-stuffed. The person I know who is most skilled at sewing is my (real-life) mother. I must admit I felt slightly odd asking my mother to repair my teddy bear at my age It amused her no end! I sent him to her by courier with a note written in large letters in green crayon reading, "Please be careful with Butter and don't hurt him, Davy". When I got him back two nights (spent sleeping really badly with emergency backup teddy bears) later there was a note in with him saying, "I'm glad to be back, Dad!" I'm not Butter's dad! He looks after me!

And that's a bit out me and my bear, I hope it was fun

Waves,
    Davy.

ps. He is most definitely not smelly at all no matter what daddy says! He just has a little bit of character.

awww that is a very cute post. My teddy bear, Toby lives on my bed at home. if any one comes over to visit they will most likley seem him proped up on a pillow feet tucked under the blankey and smiling to the rest of the room. I am a bit afrade of too much ridicule from my roommates if I cuddle him in the living room but if I am sitting on my computer on my bed you can bet toby is snuggled up under my arm.

one of my favorite places i have taken a teddy bear is to school on pajama day. I carried toby around by his hand all day long and it felt so great to have a buddy sit on my lap during class. I saw a teacher in the hall that day and she said I lookes relly cute. I blushed and smiled, said thankyou in my little voice and scurried away. this was my senior year of high school.

when you have butter with you how do you carry him? besides when he is riding in your backpack.
    what do you mean by well-dressed?

Hi coboy,

If your teacher said you looked cute with Toby he must be lovely so maybe you don't need to hide him away. Most teddy bears are lovely and I don't think they are anything to be ashamed of. It's just that a lot of people get a bit nervous about unusual things that they are not quite sure they understand. That's why Butter normally stays in my backpack unless I am with friends or somewhere safe or open-minded. He pretty much fills up my backpack he's such a big teddy.

Anyway, I've found that once people know you and like you that are OK with pretty much anything - it's you they like, not that you are wearing a bright red suit (mine's a bit large for me now I've lost loads of weight), drinking custard from a pot or carrying a teddy bear. I think if your room mates saw Toby they'd probably be either a bit too embarrassed (about themselves and what they think they should be thinking) to say anything or happily tolerant and accepting. They might grin and blush a lot but I'd bet they'd be fine with Toby and you might feel happier too. Just some thoughts.

I'm normally fairly well-dressed when I go out, my job sort of requires I'm presentable, so I wear a jacket, shirt and tie, no jeans and stuff like that.

Last year I lost 30kg (I got really porky a few years ago, but I've put 5-ish kg back on again) and because I'd saved up some money I got myself a new wardrobe using the power of eBay. I got a load of really smart suits, trousers and jacket, from people like Dolce and Gabbana and Paul Smith, plus loads of smart but colourful and loud shirts. Because they were all eBay buys and I'm not too much of an unusual size it hardly cost anything and I've now got loads of clothes for any type of event. I was giving a talk at a government function last summer and, at the speakers table at the front of the room, on one side of me were the minister and junior minister who ran the government department, and on the other side their two senior civil servants and the head of a big charity. When I got there a bit late and sat down, I looked left and right at what these great and good people were wearing then at myself, grinned a huge grin and thought, "No contest! I'm so much better dressed than these fellows!" And I thought myself even more well-dressed because I had a nappy on under my suit

When Butter is out I either hold his hand, cuddle him in front of me, or just stick him under my arm. Having Butter to hand really helps me relax so I feel at ease and comfortable when I'm holding him (in the right locations, of course, not down the pub! ) and so just hold him and play with him any way I feel like. Teddy bears are also good to hit people with if they say something silly or naughty; you can get a good swing but as they're soft they don't hurt I get put on the time out spot if I wake daddy up by whacking him with Butter, so I've stopped doing that

Sorry, I hope that wasn't too long. I've been writing a lot of deadly serious stuff and writing this has been a great break.

Look after yourself and hugs to Toby.

Waves,
    Davy.

Hi, LittleDavy, I'm just down the road from you! (well a 30 minute cycle ride) I was in Winchester last week at some seminar thing at the discovery centre. I also take my teddy (Theodore) and cuddly dragon (Puff) with me when i go on holidays which isn't that often, they have there own bag they travel in, I have only taken them on a flight twice and they always come with me with my hand luggage, no way are they going to get put in some cold dark scary baggage hold. I always leave a little part of the zip undone, well they have to breath! and sometimes I'll even let them peek out the bag to look out the window, its only fair they get to enjoy the holiday to. In America i actually took them out a few times and took pics of them in front of landmarks, Theo was quite naughty sometimes and refused to sit up strait for photos! Our tour guide thought it was really cute that i wasn't ashamed to carry my cuddly friends with me, she said i was "cool" i think she liked that i didn't care about what other people thought, i did what made me happy and it was hurting nobody. Other members of the tour must have found me likeable to as they were offering to pay for some of the optional excursions that i didn't put my name down for because i couldn't afford them as i had already paid for the excursions that i really wanted to do. And one time i did leave them in the hotel and people seemed genuinely sad that i didn't have them with me! Another funny moment happened on top of the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas, I asked some Japanese tourist to take my photo with Cubby (my little pocket size bear) perched on my shoulder with the lights of Las Vegas in the background, he happily obliged and then to my surprise a big bunch of Japanese folk came over and wanted their photo taken with Cubby!

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

As i have mentioned before my biggest concern about taking Theo and Puff on airplanes is not that I'm embarrassed by having them, its a paranoia that they might think its unusual for a grown man to be carrying teddies around with him and might think maybe i have drugs or explosives sewn up inside, then they might cut them open to check, and that would devastate me, I would see that as them being murdered. I know in reality if they did suspect anything they would probably x ray them but i still get a little paranoid about it. As it happens so far i have had no problems with security, in fact they have been very kind, even asking what their names are and stuff!

My teddy is too big to really take anywhere with me. His name is Oberon and he's actually taller than me! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teddybear.jpg 
Views:	1830 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	7985 Although, if I had a car, I might put him in the passenger seat! :-D Unfortunately, he's a bit big to take with me on the bus...probably have to buy him his own ticket! LOL

Hi Starchild,

[Removed]

Every time Butter has been pulled out of my bag at security it's been by a lady and they've told me off for having my bear all stuffed up in a bag. They usually ask his name and give him a cuddle too: I suppose he is a *security* object...

I seem a hit with Japanese tourists. Ever since loads took a picture if me in my academic robes at Oxford covered in flour and baked beans they cannot leave me alone. Last time one asked if I could stand up on the train because they liked my clothes. I was wearing pink cords with ducks embroidered on and a pink and white striped cotton jumper. Not such strange clothes...

ayanna,

It's nice to have a security object you can carry around with you, in case you need a bit of soothing on the go, but biggies are nice too. I have an ab friend with a teddy as big as Oberon and every time I go and visit I spend the whole time on his lap. I feel even smaller

Waves,
    Davy.
    Davy's posting from his smartphone so please forgive appalling spelling, sentences more meaningless than usual, etc.

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by coboy View Post
    awww that is a very cute post. My teddy bear, Toby lives on my bed at home. if any one comes over to visit they will most likley seem him proped up on a pillow feet tucked under the blankey and smiling to the rest of the room. I am a bit afrade of too much ridicule from my roommates if I cuddle him in the living room but if I am sitting on my computer on my bed you can bet toby is snuggled up under my arm.

one of my favorite places i have taken a teddy bear is to school on pajama day. I carried toby around by his hand all day long and it felt so great to have a buddy sit on my lap during class. I saw a teacher in the hall that day and she said I lookes relly cute. I blushed and smiled, said thankyou in my little voice and scurried away. this was my senior year of high school.

when you have butter with you how do you carry him? besides when he is riding in your backpack.
    what do you mean by well-dressed?
    Hi again coboy,

Sorry, I cannot reply to your visitor message on my profile as my status isn't high enough yet. Four more posts to go! I'll reply here if I may.

I'm really jealous of you throwing pots. I just have a small collection of modern stuff, and a very few older pieces, but I would love to make some. When I've tried I've been a clumsy little boy and not very good at it. I suppose I have high standards as the people I've collected stuff from are totally brilliant. I've got some pictures of some of the stuff I have online (here, if you are interested).

Do you have any pictures of the stuff you've made? If there are some online then do send a link, otherwise I'd love it if you could email a few pictures (littledavy at live dot co dot uk). I really love ceramics so I'm always keen to see more. There is something good about the way you can pick up and handle them, and they are so solid and stone-like. It's cracking that you make them!

Waves,
    Davy.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 14-Mar-2012 at 19:46. Reason: merged posts / removed meetup request

teddybear206

aww thats like the sweetest thing ive ever read! i hope you have alot more good times with butter!

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear206 View Post
    aww thats like the sweetest thing ive ever read! i hope you have alot more good times with butter!
    Thanks, Teddybear206! You are very kind to say so, but then, Butter is really cute and no one can resist him even if it's only when it's me talking about him on t'interwebs

Waves,
    Davy.