Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys and skinny jeans

Default Guys and skinny jeans

Im sure most people have noticed that there's this huge hipster, skater fad going around. Guys of all ages are wearing skinny jeans, and I just have to ask, WHY!?!?! Just a year and a half ago, a guy would be called gay for wearing skinny jeans. Does anyone else find this as strange as I do?

Forget all the fads. Wear what you want to wear. I was a little kid growing up during the 70's when long hair, polyester pants and bell bottoms were supposed to be cool. I hated that stuff back then and when it came back recently, it still looks stupid. A part of growing up is determining what you like and don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Forget all the fads. Wear what you want to wear. I was a little kid growing up during the 70's when long hair, polyester pants and bell bottoms were supposed to be cool. I hated that stuff back then and when it came back recently, it still looks stupid. A part of growing up is determining what you like and don't like.
    Wasn't that awful? I can remember my parents taking me to a store for jeans as a child in the 70s and not being able to find straight leg Levis. My mom asked the clerk and we were told that they didn't carry them anymore as there wasn't a demand. Doomed to bell bottoms! I was stoic enough not to cry but I was pretty upset. The 80s couldn't come too soon. If people want to wear skinny jeans, it's no skin off my jeans but I'll probably continue to wear pretty much the same thing I've been wearing since I could choose.

I wore skinny jeans for a day back when I was in grade 12. Worst thing ever. I hadn't started shaving yet, so the hairs would stick out because they were so tight. Who wants that?

I wore them to film modern-day version of 15-minute Hamlet, not just because I wanted to. Emo Hamlet got an A, I think. My favourite part was: "To be *hair flip* or not to be"

Quote Originally Posted by theqman96 View Post
    Im sure most people have noticed that there's this huge hipster, skater fad going around. Guys of all ages are wearing skinny jeans, and I just have to ask, WHY!?!?! Just a year and a half ago, a guy would be called gay for wearing skinny jeans. Does anyone else find this as strange as I do?
    Skinny jeans on guys has been in for most of the previous decade; it's not really a fad, but rather a part of larger fashion trend that favors a lean, slim profile on menswear that's been going on for years now. But skinny jeans aren't uniquely a hipster thing. They have some place in hipster fashion, but they play a much larger role in scene, punk, indie, and emo fashion. Skaters and hipsters (which are the not same thing, by the way) who wear skinny jeans are probably picking it up by way of their association with those subcultures and by way of the aforementioned fashion trend toward fitted clothing. Granted, there is A LOT of crossover among these subcutlures, but I'd like to point out there's also a separate sort hipster fashion (think plaid and neck scarves) and a separate sort of of skater fashion (typically designed for its utility in actual skating). To the untrained eye they may look the same, but in truth they're quite different.

Example: these skater jeans are a different sort of pants from these rock subculture jeans. The fit is very different, especially around the knees and calves. Both are different from the straight-legged Levis 511, another popular skinny style these days.

For your edification:
    Hipster
    Skater
    Scenester
    Different subcultures, lots of crossover, but still distinct. Each has its own staying power -- skaters are here to stay, while scenester and hipster fashion is much more ephemeral. The "scene" will probably disappear as emo and hardcore continue to wane in popularity. Hipsters have been around since the 40's, but what counts as hipster changes from year to year as pop fashion and trends change, since hipsters are ultimately trend-tracking creatures.

Skinny jeans play a different role in each one, and that role is at times interrelated and other times completely independent. For example, skinny jeans are popular in the Scene crowd because of their affiliation with hard rock and punk music from the 70's onward. Many fans of that musical subculture are also hipsters, but the hipster interest in fitted clothing also builds off of the general trend in pop fashion toward tighter, more fitted clothing. If the trend changes, I'd wager many (not all) hipsters would also change. Scenesters (most, not all) would probably be unfazed.

As for the labeling of skinny jean wearers as gay, there is an important connection here. Gender plays an interesting role in both hipster and scene culture (I can't speak for skaters). There is a degree of gender transgression and gender fluidity inherent in both, not to speak of sexual liberality and androgyny. In the Scene, there is a certain glorification of female homosexuality and male bisexuality, which in part helps them to establish themselves as individuals who are different from the norm (side note: hipsters aren't really all that different from the norm, but they like to think they are, and they sometimes use their sexuality to this end). Wearing skinny jeans and other tight clothes, particularly those that accentuate the curves of the male body and thus feminize it, help establish this difference. So in a way, being called gay is quite the point.

At least, that's a fair description of the Long Island scene, which, granted, has been very influential on the national concept of scene culture. Nevertheless, no two locales are quite the same; YMMV.

Supersam1223

I think they're kinda cute, on other guys, not myself, my legs are too big, lol. But, in a metal/emo way, I like that...

My mate wears them and he can't sit down with his phone in his pocket so we enjoy laughing at him for that. I find them so stupid as they must be really restrictive for you penis, I mean I don't wear underwear because it's too restrictive for me so I have no idea how guys can wear skinny jeans with feeling horribly choked down there. Hopefully it will pass because they do look ridiculous on any guy.

Oh and I forgot to mention I don't mean to offend anyone and im by no means saying that people who wear them are gay. Just wanted to make that clear

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Skinny jeans play a different role in each one, and that role is at times interrelated and other times completely independent. For example, skinny jeans are popular in the Scene crowd because of their affiliation with hard rock and punk music from the 70's onward....
    Even further back than that: Drainpipe skinny jeans go back to the 50s and the Teddy Boys Slim-fit pants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by theqman96 View Post
    Oh and I forgot to mention I don't mean to offend anyone and im by no means saying that people who wear them are gay. Just wanted to make that clear
    Haha...I wore skinny jeans when I was in college, and I was living an exclusively gay life. Back in the late 60's, most guys wore tight jeans. It was a statement against the establishment. We were the first generation to stop cutting our hair, since....1800s...? Anyway, the tight jeans was a way guys showed their junk. It was a bold statement after the puritanical decades of the 50s and the first half of the 60s.

The bell bottom pants were much the same. Though the lower pant legs flared out, the upper part of the jeans were skin tight. I think to appreciate all of this, you had to live the late 60s. It was the age pf psychedelia, Vietnam, civil rights, and great music. Going to a party was a happening, some dark pot smoking place with beads hanging from the door sills, The Doors playing in the background. Long haired guys sitting around in the white and red striped bells, while girls with long hair in pig tails leaned on them. Someone was passing a joint, and the conversation was about the draft. Someone had a cousin or a brother who was just killed in a place few even knew where it was on the map.

For me, I'd walk into P.J.'s in Princeton with my boyfriend, tight jeans, having half the customers look and me and my boyfriend, and you watch them whisper to one another. The guy at the counter, who was gay, would say,"Well there's my two lumber jack boys." It was the 60s' version of cool. Who knew that in a few short years, it would come crashing down, both Hendrix and Jim Morrison dead, just like the movement.

Those tight jeans which are now for sale, harken back to a almost forgotten past, but if you listen carefully, you can hear Eric Clapton and that incredible guitar work.