Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theres a Baby in my Bed!

Default Theres a Baby in my Bed!

I thought Id come here and view the stories. While I am a novelist, my genre is children's fiction. However, I recently wrote and had published a book on Adult Babies and their relationships with partners called "Theres a baby in my bed!" Its on amazon now and hopefully will make it to bricks and mortar stores sometime soon!

Kep up the writing folks! The world needs more good writers!

Thanks. I'll try to get a copy for my wife.

OMG I have been eyeballing this book for almost a week and I want to buy it so bad!!! I read the 'free look/preview' and I find myself going back to visit it

My girlfriend has known about my ab/dl side for amost 4 years and as she continues to grow more and more ok with it, I want so badly to not just have her baby me but more importantly acknowledge my ab side. I was able to make sense of these once unexplainable feelings I've been having because of what little I did read from this book. I mean, part of the reason I go into diaper overload or go a little crazy with my diaper talk is because I really just feel like I need to have that constant reassurance that she accepts that part of me. But... now I feel like I need to read this book so I can fully understand who I am before I can explain these feelings to her :s

Eight more days until payday... :/

I've noticed there's a growing section for AB/DL books on Amazon. I'm published on Nook, but it's a werewolf story. Ive been working on a novel for the last three years. It's a kid's book about a haunting. Writing is a wonderful thing to do with one's time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've noticed there's a growing section for AB/DL books on Amazon. I'm published on Nook, but it's a werewolf story. Ive been working on a novel for the last three years. It's a kid's book about a haunting. Writing is a wonderful thing to do with one's time.
    There is a lot of fiction on the topic of AB/DL but there isnt much in the way of non-fiction. In fact, apart from some breif mentions in textbooks I cannot find ANY!

I have started my next book delaing with Teen Babies and their parents. I will shortly be starting a series of surveys to ask people about their experiences. If anyone wants to email me with a description of how their parents handled them bein DL or TB and the shock of discovery, please do so at REMOVED
    Last edited by Tripped; 12-Mar-2012 at 12:30. Reason: Removing some personal info

When I first read your post I was kind of excited there's a book dealing with the facts of AB/DL and it's not autobiographical so I looked it up on Amazon and found some things that concern me about the way the book has been publicised. Before reading I should warn you to take a deep breath and understand that these opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Book Description
    Is your partner an Adult Baby? Do you find diapers hidden in odd places and don’t know why? Does your spouse want to play with children’s toys or dress in baby clothes? These and other such questions are all answered in Rosalie Bent’s breakthrough book: There’s a baby in my bed! Seeking to help partners understand the confusing and often incomprehensible behaviour of a regressive adult, Ms Bent takes the reader on a journey of discovery through the inner workings and outer expressions of the 21st century’s most unusual and secretive inhabitant: the Adult Baby. Each chapter unfolds a new aspect on infantile regression. Offering more than facts and figures, this book lays out a pathway for developing the most unique relationship that any couple can have – the ‘Parent/Child Relationship’. Come on the journey with Ms Bent and discover for yourself how to handle the baby in your bed!
    I think "Breakthrough" is kid of premature it's been out less than a fortnight, I'd say that in order to be breakthrough or it has to come close to revolutionary within it's field and this just isn't at least hasn't been proved to have been yet. I object to "the 21st century’s most unusual and secretive inhabitant" ok most of us don't shove it ceremoniously into the faces of our friends and families but I'd hardly deem that an accurate description and is at best a gross generalization. Are there any facts and figures, have they been published in psychology journals for public review, are they referenced? I'm only asking because I haven't seen any of these sorts of studies and I would hope I'm not the only one here that would find them interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by About the Author
    Rosalie Bent is an Australian post-graduate level trainer and communicator who has been happily married for almost 40 years to a regressive Adult Baby. With tertiary training in both Mathematics and Psychology, she has learned over the years to understand the unique inner workings of the Adult Baby mind and has combined her experience and the knowledge of others to produce this book: a primer on making relationships work with the ‘adult/child’. The mother of four adult children, both her and her husband work as professional trainers and consultants. Rosalie is an avid reader and also a writer of children’s and adult’s novels.
    I then read this and found "the Adult Baby mind" another generalization shouldn't that be an Adult Baby mind, together with the first description makes it look as if you might be providing yourself and husband as a roll model and guide for people that may not fit your and your husbands mold; despite that it say you "combined her experience and the knowledge of others".

I am willing to accept that you didn't write these descriptions of you and your work but together they do make it seem your publicist is trying to make your work into something it cannot possibly be, while you may have many insights into the inner workings of your adult baby I'd guess that you couldn't possibly have written about how and why everyone here works, what triggers we might share or present a common back story, because those things shouldn't exist for this data set humans are by definition unique to themselves; by the same way logic I would make a the reasonable logical conclusion that you couldn't tell me what coloured shoes I might choose to wear based on the fact I call myself an AB and a handful of case studies.

Thanks MCsquared (E=??) for your comment. I'd like to take the opportunity to respond. If you ever been involved in marketing or copy-writing (I have) you would know that superlative style and extravagance is all part and parcel of the process. Let me however defend the term 'breakthrough' as used in describing the book. Firstly, let's take a look at the non-fiction works that spend a lot of time talking about and explaining infantilism or practical living as adult babies. Hmmm... there arent any! That alone justifies the term 'breakthrough' since it has no comparison and is virtually in a market segment of its own. Secondly, I wrote a 80 page working document which was the basis for the book and distributed it to nearly 1000 people (all adult babies) months before starting the book and I incorporated the feedback and additional info into the book. The responses were by-and-large exceptionally positive, bordering on effusive praise. I think the term 'breakthrough' is more than justified.

'The adult baby mind' is not a totally incorrect terminology when used in the context of regression. Psychology texts are very poor regarding regression but even they will tell you that a regressed person has behaviours very, very different from their adult behaviours.

I think you are trying to say that adult baby behaviour cannot be defined and explained. It can and I have started that process. The psychological studies into infantilism are rare and generally poor and I dont think that many people would say otherwise. I have developed a new object terminology to fit into the traditional object relationship structure of personality and development. They are called Attachment Objects and are kind of like reverse Transitional Objects. I have had extraordinary responses to this concept as i explains behaviours and emotions in the regressed state and some of their triggers. When you define a brand-new object relationship for the personality then I would call that breakthrough.

I do not pretend that my book - which is not a textbook - is the answer to every adult baby relational problem. It is however a very large first step into understanding the functioning of regressive adult baby behaviour. It wil be controversial and no doubt some parts will be shown in time to be wrong. But I defend the terminology of 'breakthrough' because it is exactly that.

I look forward to reviews based on actully reading the book.

Yeah, I wrote my introduction and my bio for Nook Books. It's standard procedure for those of us who self publish or are in a much smaller venue. Stephen King, I'm sure, doesn't have to deal with these sundries. I'm sure the book publishing editor does it for him, but then, he's Stephen King (insert your favorite pop author).

"Breakthrough" gets the attention of the reader. Nook Book has over a million titles, so how do you get readers to find you? One has to get creative. You also use Facebook, telling your friends and if you write AB/DL stories, you would announce it on sites like this. Realistically, we are her market. I paid attention to my title, "Werewolf", realizing that my title was also a search word for werewolf stories. Even at that, I sell about 100 copies a year, but hey, at 99 cents a copy, I made $42.00. It's been fun, and I have gotten some really good reviews. Yahoo Answers listed my story as a selection, 3rd in the list and Stephen King 5th. I was stoked!

One thing I would point out is that there have been some clinical studies and small on line publications such as Bittergray's work, which I think is significant. Wikipedia has useful information as well. That said, I'm intrigued by this book. I was surprised at the price, so I thought I might wait a bit. My other problem is that my time is limited, and there are so many great works which I want to read. Oh well....sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Yeah, I wrote my introduction and my bio for Nook Books. It's standard procedure for those of us who self publish or are in a much smaller venue. Stephen King, I'm sure, doesn't have to deal with these sundries. I'm sure the book publishing editor does it for him, but then, he's Stephen King (insert your favorite pop author).

"Breakthrough" gets the attention of the reader. Nook Book has over a million titles, so how do you get readers to find you? One has to get creative. You also use Facebook, telling your friends and if you write AB/DL stories, you would announce it on sites like this. Realistically, we are her market. I paid attention to my title, "Werewolf", realizing that my title was also a search word for werewolf stories. Even at that, I sell about 100 copies a year, but hey, at 99 cents a copy, I made $42.00. It's been fun, and I have gotten some really good reviews. Yahoo Answers listed my story as a selection, 3rd in the list and Stephen King 5th. I was stoked!

One thing I would point out is that there have been some clinical studies and small on line publications such as Bittergray's work, which I think is significant. Wikipedia has useful information as well. That said, I'm intrigued by this book. I was surprised at the price, so I thought I might wait a bit. My other problem is that my time is limited, and there are so many great works which I want to read. Oh well....sigh.
    Thanks dogboy. Writing is for most of us a compulsion that must be met with words on a page. Readership is important as it validates our writing in a way that non-writers dont really understand. Very few of us ever get to make much money out of writing if any at all. And even it we sell thousands of copies - which is quite rare and a measure of success - it is still small change in the scheme of things. I know that when I wrote this the words flowed out of me at an ease and pace I had never before experienced. I only wish all writing was as driven and quick as this one!

as regards the price, that is a publishers decision and it is a significant size book being 92,000 words and print books simply cost real money to produce. and if the ebook price is too low it discourages paperback sales and... on it goes.

My problem with clinical studies has been that they tend to be obsessed with behaviours rather than internal drivers. And a lot of professionals are obsessed with 'cures' for what they see as a mental illness. I find both of these things to be not only poorly advised but rather pointless. Understanding the inner motivations and needs can be one of the most liberating experiences you can have. Finding safe and balanced outlets for this can take away most of the angst and internal conflict. That is what I aim for.

I understand to a degree some of the aspects of publishing I just felt that some of the things that had been said came off, at least for me, as exploitative, maybe not for a 92k word physical book but for a kindle book your prices seem relatively high in mainstream but comparatively low when you look at the price and length of AB/DL fiction on Amazon. You may have the first published book but it's not the only resource out there: like the free websites built on common experience, which together are probably more in depth than your book (if scattered and discontinuous), or forums like this one that provide support to people and if you ask questions then you can find out what people know first hand. Breakthrough here may just be another way of saying that it's going to fall at the second hurdle not the first (ie getting it published unlike everyone else) it doesn't mean it's capable of going the full distance.

I had understood that you had asked some people but I hadn't realised the number, 1000 is a far larger sample than I would have thought, I had assumed maybe a dozen case studies and the use of common knowledge. However I still feel some concern about the way you seem to have umbrellaed the behaviours of ABs, I feel the community is varied and no one behaviour is shared by everyone. You couldn't do it with any other group of people, take say submissives in BDSM other than the fact that they all call themselves submissives there is nothing common between the whole lot, some desire forced domination some don't some like being ties up some don't, some behave and do as they're told first time every time some don't and the list goes on. It's just too vast a generalization to say any behaviour is typical.

With your study I expect you came across atypical behaviour in some of the participants but writing them off as anomalies isn't something I condone, they may even be part of a larger pattern your study has yet to identify. I would put my behaviour into the outlier category if I were to take only the ABs that I've seen on TV documentaries as the base line, but on here I feel less of an outlier, although I still believe myself to be one; I consider my AB regression to be a preteen DL not a baby or a toddler. So I suggest that it's just possible there might a 10 million person pattern, where I fit on the line somewhere in the middle, that stretches outside of the AB community because as the age play gets into preteens the DL issue begins to fall away and by teens and twenties the DL side of age play has vanished completely; I ask is this pattern something your study could identify given that you only talked to adult babies? And is it possible that this pattern could exist and fit with all your data? Please understand I don't say this to debunk your work, I'm just asking maybe since this is a more factual picture of the adult baby mind and lifestyle whether you could do a study to test less specific sample group maybe talking about how immature people choose to act rather than regression, it may solidify your work. An example of others making the same mistake you have might be cosmetic companies, although they deliberately do the small samples fallacy that you may have inadvertently stumbled upon, "we gave 123 people a months worth of our product free [after they responded to our advert] and over 93% said they'd continue to use it and recommend it to their friends." Sound familiar? too small a sample not indicative of a global population of 7 billion and any conclusions can be drawn, they equally could have all been pepsi drinkers and said that they hated coka-cola and the study deduced that coka-cola corp should shut up shop, not something that could be portrayed as particularly accurate.

Anyway I was getting off topic I know it seems a little odd to do it as sometimes large numbers can intimidate people but it'd certainly reassure me to see that the book is 92k words in size before I read it (which I now will after payday) because at least on Amazon and especially for kindle it looks more robust than here's the front cover there are several chapters which each address one aspect of the AB lifestyle, a book of about 50-60 pages could fit that description and not be very helpful. Also saying that you have collected the experiences of (or better yet talked to) over a thousand ABs in the making of the book would make me jump at the book (as I have) even knowing the mathematical fallacy that it could entail.
    Last edited by DylanK; 13-Mar-2012 at 16:46. Reason: restructuring