Thread: New job blues

Default New job blues

I'm in. After three months of idleness, I finaly have a new job. I applied at a grocery store with the HOPE that I would not be working in the bakery. I'd rather be a stockboy or cashier. ANYTHING but the bakery. You have to understand, I've been working with food for the past few years, and I'm sick of it.

But what job do I get? Bakery, of course, because of my background in food. Ah well, it's better than nothing. So I took it.

Orientation was yesterday. Was pretty god-awfull. As soon as I confidently walked up to my new boss -BAM- Nose bleed outta nowhere. It lasted like five minutes too. Damn nosebleed.

First shift was today. It went well, very monotonous and I hate dealing with customers, but I don't know when I work next. No one told me anything about the schedule. They all just assumed I should know where it is or something.

Ah well, I'll figure something out. It beets flipping burgers.

I know how you feel,through the years I've had a wide variety of mundane,and down-right unenjoyable positions of employment.Some people say they actually love their work,it's never been this way for me.I have always viewed having a job as something you have to do,in order to be able to do the things you want to do.Best of luck with the new job.

That reminds me of a story that Matt G told once about his job at Taco Bell. I couldn't relate.... I fix computers, and lifeguard... They are easier than they look. (hehehe)

EmeraldsAndLime

Ask your boss when the work roster comes comes out, don't want to look like an idiot when you miss a shift. When I got a job in a supermarket, I was calling up every second day until everything got sorted out.

I was always lucky enough do what I loved, so I enjoyed going to work, I love cars and working on cars so it just was perfect for me.

I always liked repairing the unrepairable, things other people couldn't repair, I got a great feeling out of seeing other people happy with what I did after no one else could make it right.

and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    I was always lucky enough do what I loved, so I enjoyed going to work, I love cars and working on cars so it just was perfect for me.

I always liked repairing the unrepairable, things other people couldn't repair, I got a great feeling out of seeing other people happy with what I did after no one else could make it right.

and still do.
    I haf'ta agree! I repair, design & build machinery in a factory. I do the shit that "can't be done" or everyone else says "you couldn't pay me enough to do that", from robots to toilets. It can be very stressfull when dozens of people are counting on you to get them back to work so they can feed their kids but when you get a tough one done the feeling is some kinda high.

Prometheus, if your 18+ knock on some factory doors and tell them your interested in machinery (if true) & apply for a position in the maintenance deparment. There are lots or other jobs if mechanics isn't your thing. It beats the hell out of retail.

Nam

Herbiec

Just make sure you are well diapered, with the apron on, no one will notice.

I should have mentioned how well hidden my diapers are in my pictures
    Last edited by Peachy; 19-Sep-2008 at 07:15. Reason: merging double post

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    ...but I don't know when I work next. No one told me anything about the schedule. They all just assumed I should know where it is or something.
    Prometheus, you repeated both our kids word-for-word with that line. They're each in retail and had the same question come up about their schedule after the first day. That seems to be a weak area of communication between store supervisors and new hires.

~Pramrider