Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situation in Syria

Default Situation in Syria

It seems as though Assad's army won't stop bombing 7oms unless some outside force moves in to perform strategic airstrikes on the armies shelling the town; that would mean a violation of sovereignty, but I don't know if there's a way around that.
    I read a news article about some laji2eh(female refugee) who left 7oms and left for Jordan; it seems that things are really sketchy as of the moment...

Things are definitely "sketchy" at the moment. Protests have turned into civil war as al-Assad's regime attempted and failed at a Tienanmen Square-esque situation. IMHO, I really don't think we should do anything in Syria at this point. Sure, al-Assad is a horrible and oppressive dictator, but U.S. Military intervention and/or foreign aid would do more harm than good, and increase our bloated defense budget in the United States. Right now, Syria has no major allies, especially after being kicked out of the Arab League for being belligerent (The Arab League isn't that picky, they let Somalia of all places stay).

Also, Syria is one of the oldest nations in the world, and Damascus (its capital) is one of the oldest cities. If they can't fix any of their major problems after nearly 5,000 years, then I would consider Syria the ultimate failed state, regime after regime failing.

Let's stay out of Syria (as well as other Middle East powderkegs) and focus our society on peace rather than war as we turn a blind eye. Syria never really attacked us, so there is no reason to attack them.

While I do agree staying out of the Syrian conflict is definantely in our best interest, staying out of the Middle East as a whole will bring us no desired reuslts. After the 1993 bombing of the WTC, we as Americans had a blip on our collective radar about the Middle East, but we forgot seemingly quickly. Then not even 10 years later a relative of Ramzi Yousef (the 1993 bomber) was one of, if not the, leaders in a much more devastating attack on the WTC. The simple fact is we can't just ignore the area as a whole. Lest we forget there are some nations there allied wth us, namely the UAE and Israel, but if one of the oldest societies in the world can't seem to keep its $#!+ together then it might be time to leave well enough alone...

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Where was the article?
    The article is titled: More than 80,000 Syrian refugees fleeing to Jordan. It's on the San Diego Union-Tribune and this is the URL: More than 80,000 Syrian refugees fleeing to Jordan | UTSanDiego.com

If we're talking about the situation in Homs, it's said that it appears to be a massacre going on.

A woman reported that a group of soldiers slit her 12-year old boy's throat in front of her, and men and boys are being taken away from their family to be executed.

I don't like the idea of letting those psychos kill their own people, but the world seems to hate the US for playing world police. We need to make our voice herd which we have done, but should not get involved. If we choose to help in a non military capacity thats fine, but we shouldn't provide military support of any kind to either side. It seems some people in the world look to the US for help, but turn around and hate us for it as soon as we get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus2k View Post
    I don't like the idea of letting those psychos kill their own people, but the world seems to hate the US for playing world police. We need to make our voice herd which we have done, but should not get involved. If we choose to help in a non military capacity thats fine, but we shouldn't provide military support of any kind to either side. It seems some people in the world look to the US for help, but turn around and hate us for it as soon as we get involved.
    I agree entirely. We can't keep getting into foreign affairs with our military. We need to voice our concerns, which has been done, but that's really all we can do other than give aid to those in need, and that might be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus2k View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I agree entirely. We can't keep getting into foreign affairs with our military. We need to voice our concerns, which has been done, but that's really all we can do other than give aid to those in need, and that might be pushing it.
    This is how I feel about the situations as well. It feel's exactly sort of how batman felt in The Dark knight. Trying to do good but still in the end getting shit on for it.

There is only so much the international community can do when it comes to civil war, unfortunately, but the fact that red cross (etc) are being hindered in trying to reach the areas most impacted by the recent happenings is horrible. One horrible thing in a long line of horrible things, really, when considering the peaceful state Syria was in until rather recently.