Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public Tail-wearing

Default Public Tail-wearing

I'm mostly curious as to how people feel about wearing a tail in public. I've worn mine outside a couple times and the only stuff that has happened is people questioning me out of curiosity for it. No animosity, but I feel that I can deal with that calmly if it shows up.

I'm planning on wearing it to college (it's a pretty small, private school) tomorrow, as a one time thing. I've been trying to care less about what people think of me, and have realized that for the most part people don't pay any attention to people/things outside of their present focus anyway. I've danced at work behind the counter and randomly while walking through my college's atrium, but no one so much as glances in my direction. Only once did a coworker notice me doing an arm wave and tutting a bit. :P

But back on topic, what's your opinion of public tail-wearing?

I'd find it really cool, but then I'm really different. There was a contestant on "American Idol" last year who had mild terrets. He wore a woven yarn tail during some of his early performances. It was pretty long. I remember saying to my wife, "Hey, he's wearing a tail". Eventually he stopped, probably because of the advisers to the show. Anyway, he was one of my favorite performers. I questioned myself if it really was a tail, but Comcast news had said it was.

Well... I've only wore tail at conventions =P so no big deal, but I've gone around with ears (in beanies/hoods/headbands) to do normal daily stuff, people has pointed, giggled and meowed at me XD I didn't care really, but... as I'm already considered an adult I stopped doing those things in daily life, mainly because the social convention dictates a "serious person" shouldn't be wearing stuffs like that and as I start my work life I should be considered serious (until I'm famous and rich and can dress as I like again xP).

Anyway, in school and College (if their rules let you) you should do all that "crazy" stuff, wear anything you want and look how you like to, of course, be prepared to be judged, but its worth the risk

Quote Originally Posted by Nieve View Post
    mainly because the social convention dictates a "serious person" shouldn't be wearing stuffs like that and as I start my work life I should be considered serious
    I hate social convention, I can see certain places where it is needed, like we don't need people streaking everywhere, but for the most part, social convention has ruined society. Makes us all paranoid and judgmental.

Hey if you have the guts to do it, you totally should, luckily it is one of those things that isn't so out of the ordinary that people start making a huge deal out of it, you'll probably get a lot of heads turning, but that is just what i would expect anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    I hate social convention, I can see certain places where it is needed, like we don't need people streaking everywhere, but for the most part, social convention has ruined society. Makes us all paranoid and judgmental.
    True that =S but well, sometimes you have to play by the rules... so you can destroy them from the inside afterwards =D

There is actauly a girl at my school that does that i dont know why and i have never asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post

Hey if you have the guts to do it, you totally should, luckily it is one of those things that isn't so out of the ordinary that people start making a huge deal out of it, you'll probably get a lot of heads turning, but that is just what i would expect anyway.
    I can definitely agree with you there. I don't want to be restrained by what society deems as "right." If everyone followed that convention... we'd be missing out on a lot of music and progression. It's another one of those "this doesn't hurt anyone so what's the problem?" kinds of things. Although some people will inevitably make mountains out of mole hills.

I'm not really worried about people being ridiculous. If they are then oh well, they're not having as much fun with life as they should. Bring on the turning heads! XD

I always rolled my eyes when I saw people doing it in high school. It's so awkward to see someone say "I don't want to be talked to by anyone", which is pretty much what you're saying when you put that kind of show on. People point and tee-hee at you and think you're a dork and/or "that guy". If you're okay with this then go for it, but fair warning - you'll get branded and ostracized fairly quickly if people start recognizing you as "the dude who wears a tail and is probably a furry".

Pffffffffft @ all the nay-sayers!

Do your own thing!

I was on the ferry one day and saw a girl wearing kitty ears...I actually asked her if she had a tail 'n she admitted she had one but wasn't wearing it that day! :-D (Note: She was early to mid-20s so hardly a 'child')

i see no problems with it,sure you'll get the occasional odd stare, giggling schoolgirl wanting to stroke it or other persons asking "why.....?"
    I get the same because i wear a collar every day im not at work, you get used to it.
    Most will just shrug it off, some might try to make an issue out of it but thats their problem not ours.

Afaik theres no american/ canadian version of the law but being a furry in the uk can be considered a subculture and as such is protected by the sophie lancaster act.

It basically makes descrimination based on subcultural interests or alternative styles of dress/apearance illegal
    Last edited by leffykit; 05-Mar-2012 at 11:44.