Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adult diapers 10 years from now

Peachy

Default Adult diapers 10 years from now

About 10 years ago, I bought my first adult diaper. Back then, all diapers were plastic and thicker than they are now. Not sure about absorbency - I don't think it has changed much (obviously - it's not like people pee less compared to 10 years ago).

That said, what do you think diapers will look like 10 years from now? Will they all have gone to cloth cover? Become as thin as regular underwear? Or will adult diapers disappear from the market completely because doctors will be able to heal incontinence with a simple surgery or even a pill?

So what do you think adult diapers will look like in 2018? Any opinions / thoughts / insights?

Peachy

Darkfinn

I don't think Adult diapers will ever go away. The median age of the world's population is only getting older (baby boomers) and as more and more of that generation succumb to old age incontinence will spread.

There are therapies and surgeries now that can fix some forms of IC... but even doctors will admit they can't cure everything.

We also have to consider the number of people who are physically unable to reach toileting facilities and use diapers for the convenience aspect. I think this number will grow.

Also, dispite the way things may seem, kids are being potty trained at later and later ages. I know this doesn't affect adult diapers... but the kids diaper market sure has grown in the past 5 years. Size 6... Size 7... Goodnites... Underjams... what's next?

I don't know if there will be a trend towards cloth covered diapers or not. It seems that every time one brand goes cloth-backed some new brand pops up to take its place. Cloth may be nicer to the skin... but it isn't as supportive and is a lot more expensive.

I have also seen a recent trend back towards thicker & more absorbant diapers. Secure X-Plus, Dry 24/7, Attends Extended Wear, etc. Manufacturers are finding out that customers are beginning to turn away from the paper-thin diapers towards a more absorbant high quality product. Thin diapers are made specificly for the medical industry... especially here in the USA where it is required that a patient be changed every 4-6 hours. If they are going to be changing the diaper anyways, why make one that is going to last any longer than is absolutely necessary, from a manufacturer's standpoint?

Most of the private individuals I talk to who are IC prefer a thicker diaper... these are the people who are choosing for themselves what kind of product to buy... and I believe the market will begin to shift further to cater to their demands.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post

but the kids diaper market sure has grown in the past 5 years. Size 6... Size 7... Goodnites... Underjams... what's next?
    Size 6 was introduced back in like 1998 or so. Anyways I just hope there's always a plastic backed adult diaper. I hate the "cloth" like outer layers.

Zeit

I'm not sure what else more can be done other than improving capacity and/or reducing bulk that I'm sure most companies think they should be doing, much to our disapproval.

I've heard things about super absorbant polymers that are exponentially better than what's currently in diapers but by current methods they're not cost-efficient to incorporate into the mainstream diaper demand. But who knows, 10 years is a long time.

Diapers with laser beams attached to them.

Although biodegradable diapers does seem the most likely.

A bigger market with companies that try to fit to all AB/TB/DLs? (meaning some thinner diapers, some thicker, depending on the person, and of course more absorbency, some with prints, some without, and other improved ab/dl paraphernalia)

I think one of the things we'll see as some sort of chemicals in the diaper to counteract the chemicals in the urine. The diapers of the future will probably focus alot more on comfort for the wearer then anything else.

Even if something does happen the adult diaper industry, there will still be companies like Bambino, and.... I'm sure there are others... Which are dedicated to *B/Dls. I'm sure they will always be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    Even if something does happen the adult diaper industry, there will still be companies like Bambino, and.... I'm sure there are others... Which are dedicated to *B/Dls. I'm sure they will always be there.
    I'm wondering if the *B/DL market for diapers will increase appreciably in 10 years, to the point a few more mfrs. start up production of babyish style diapers for adults. I think there's a good chance it will. Appears that more and more infantilists have come out in just the few years I've known the community to exist. No telling how many professed DLs they'll be in 10 years.

~Pramrider