Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School shooting in Ohio

Default School shooting in Ohio

I was wondering if anyone was going to post on this but there was a school shooting in Chardon, Ohio today. Chardon is not too far from me and I have passed by that high school a few times on the freeways.

I am keeping the victims in my thoughts tonight and still feeling shocked from it. I also have friends I worked with that went to Chardon High School and I can only imagine what they're going through. I only wonder how I'd react if it were my old high school- as some of my friends now teach at our ala mater.

This is kind of sad for me as a former victim of bullying and teasing because I NEVER thought of using a gun against my tormenters and ending their lives. NEVER.

School shootings are never easy to watch on the news or see. As someone who was bullied, I'd never act on wanting to kill someone- but I do understand it in a way. For me, I just wanted to get out of the school and away from it.

This just is a shock for me... really is.

WildThing121675

Miku

Not every case is because the shooter was bullied. Nevertheless, I feel bad for the people shot, but I feel worse for their friends. Having to live with the trauma..

That's not too far from me. Up to 3 hours away.

When I looked at the report in English class today, it claimed no one was killed. It's not too often that happens during a school shooting, as the shooter often takes their own life.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    That's not too far from me. Up to 3 hours away.

When I looked at the report in English class today, it claimed no one was killed. It's not too often that happens during a school shooting, as the shooter often takes their own life.
    One person dead, four hurt. I am hearing from scattered sources (though nothing official, yet) that a second student has died from his injuries.

I was actually like 5 mins away from where the shooting was I was at school when I heard the news and this time it hit soooo close to home. It like you think oh it can never happen here but it can. I was shocked I would have never excepted a shooting at Chardon (it's one of the best public schools in North east Ohio)

According to what the local media is saying, one dead, four hurt. That's the official word according to the local news stations in Cleveland. I was watching Fox 8 News before the NASCAR race started and it makes me think about things like that. Chardon was the last place you'd expect a shooting at. It is quite a shock to have something hit so close to home like this. Everyone always says you never expect it to happen in your area or hometown but it does. Even my hometown of Kent has had an incident of history- May 4th, 1970- the Kent State shootings.

This just has made my day interesting and has had me thinking a lot.

WildThing121675

This hit close to home WildThing, as you know since my wife grew up in Cuyahoga Falls, and I lived there for 9 years. WildThing, perhaps you didn't know, but there was a shooting in Stow High School back in the seventies when I was the organist and asst. director at First U. Methodist Church, Cuyahoga Falls. A chemistry teacher was shot in the face by a student, and one of our high school church members and choir members was sitting in the front row. He ran up to the teacher and got him to sit down. The teacher kept saying,"Where are my glasses?" not realizing he would be blind from the brain damage. The student, and I remember his name if you want it, was covered in his blood.

Shootings in schools make me sick inside. Schools should be safe, and free of strife, but that is never the case. Teaching in a school, I honestly don't know how we can prevent bullying, because it goes on behind our backs, usually. If I see it, I stop it, but most of it I don't see. Older members know my story of severely beating up the gym class bully when I was in high school. I hate bullies because I've been the recipient of bullying too many times when I was a kid. Sooner or later, a bullied kid will crack and then death follows.

I'm hearing now that supposedly a third student has died in the hospital. And despite what transpired, this is, amazingly, a random occurrence. The kid just supposedly walked right up to these people and fired. While he does feel remorse for this, and he should, I have a baaaad feeling that someone is going to blame this kid's misdeeds on an old favorite target: "Dem' violent vidya games."

I wonder what his motives were. Being emotionally or mentally disturbed, maybe this was a break for him and he just simply snapped. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    I'm hearing now that supposedly a third student has died in the hospital. And despite what transpired, this is, amazingly, a random occurrence. The kid just supposedly walked right up to these people and fired. While he does feel remorse for this, and he should, I have a baaaad feeling that someone is going to blame this kid's misdeeds on an old favorite target: "Dem' violent vidya games."

I wonder what his motives were. Being emotionally or mentally disturbed, maybe this was a break for him and he just simply snapped. Not sure.
    So far I just heard he's been depressed. Also he wasn't a student at the school, I assume he was at a time but got transferred out to a school for kids with behavioral/academic problems.

To be honest I thought about bringing a gun but my feelings (Can't think of how to spell the right word at this time) got the best of me and so I told a teacher about it and asked for guidance on how to deal with things and well I have not took a life and I pray that I will never take a life. Now I just wish that I could diaper them bullies and shrink wrap them so that they can't get out of it easily.