Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do Christians believe?

Default What do Christians believe?

PLEASE READ OP BEFORE POSTING.

Reading through the same-sex marriage thread I was starting to wonder:
    WHY is this what we all seem to be hearing from and/or about Christians is this anti LGBT rights, anti evolution, or something else that's part of what so called "culture wars"? I'm not interested in the why that is right now (although I'm sure we can all think of reasons) but instead I want to do something about it...

Christians and other "people of faith,"* please use this thread as a place to write about your own personal beliefs. What and why you believe, and what difference it makes in your life.

You can write about theology and about why you are one denomination rather than another; you can write about life or mystical experiences; you can also say what you don't believe in; whatever is relevant to you.

Please do not turn this thread into sectarian or anti-religious sniping, or attempt to convert people using it.

Thanks.

A bit about me:

I tick the box on the census form marked 'No Religion' (just imagine ;-)
    I have been christened (into the Church of Scotland) but since I grew up in England, and neither of my parents were Church goers, I never became part of a faith community. I've been educated about Christianity, but I've never felt any connection to it on a spiritual level, and as a guide to "how to live" I don't feel it offers me anything. I have attended Quaker meetings, and of all the world religions Sikhism seems like I'd get along best with it, but I feel no need to convert to anything.

*I love how americans come up with these names for broad categories of people that try to be respectful and serious, but end up sounding ridiculous
    Last edited by MsClara; 20-Feb-2012 at 19:08.

Butterfly Mage

I don't think there's one particular dogma that Christians believe. For example, Fred Phelps and Barry Lynn are both Christian ministers and yet they have come to completely different ideas as to how their faith should be practiced. Some are guided by love while others are guided by hate. Some seek enlightenment while others revel in ignorance. Some rejoice in the commonalities that unite us while some seek only division. Some use the Bible as a source of comfort while others use it as a weapon. Some use their faith as a challenge to their own behavioral shortcomings while others use their faith to justify hate and bigotry. Some use their faith to affirm life, peace, and human dignity while others use their lifes to affirm death, war, and human shame.

Christianity is a divided religion. But then, the human race is far from being monolithic.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I don't think there's one particular dogma that Christians believe. For example, Fred Phelps and Barry Lynn are both Christian ministers and yet they have come to completely different ideas as to how their faith should be practiced. Some are guided by love while others are guided by hate. Some seek enlightenment while others revel in ignorance. Some rejoice in the commonalities that unite us while some seek only division. Some use the Bible as a source of comfort while others use it as a weapon. Some use their faith as a challenge to their own behavioral shortcomings while others use their faith to justify hate and bigotry. Some use their faith to affirm life, peace, and human dignity while others use their lifes to affirm death, war, and human shame.

Christianity is a divided religion. But then, the human race is far from being monolithic.
    Thanks for the reply Butterfly, but it's not really what I wanted from the thread. I know that self identified "Christians" can believe vastly different things, that's why I wanted a thread where they could explain WHY they believe that way. Also this wasn't supposed to be exclusively about Christians, they're just the largest religious group on ADISC, and one of the most diverse, so they have the most scope to write about their own individual beliefs and experiences.

Why are you a Wiccan? What do you believe?

Could you refine the question? So I can have better understanding of, what you are trying to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by zachery980 View Post
    Could you refine the question? So I can have better understanding of, what you are trying to ask.
    I thought I'd made it reasonably clear in the post at the top of the thread: what are the reasons for people identifying with their particular religion; what are their beliefs about the way the world is, and how are these informed by their religion; what difference has it made in their lives ect.

I didn't want to be too prescriptive in the question because 1. I wanted it to be open enough that people can give very personal responses, 2. I'm an atheist, so I don't really know what topics to ask about.

Just write what comes into your head when you first read the question basically.

Ty, I am a Christian because my parents where Christian but, my views on Christianity are different than most. (I read the thing, I don't hit people I don't like with it) I don't find it right to label people SINNER, too its jut wrong. How I view it, why should I point out flaws in others when, I have my own flaws I need to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post

Thank you! Depending on our denomination, our personality, or several other things, we interpret the Bible differently. I personally think that the Bible shouldn't ever be used for hate speech, but as a guide. I also don't think it is literal in, say, the Old Testament. Jesus had a thing for teaching through metaphors, so I think a lot of the "weird" things that happened in Exodus, for example, are just a human being's method of describing God's actions. I believe that God created the earth, but I also believe in evolution, and various other scientific theories. For example: How did God create the universe? He caused the Big Bang.

littlepacifiergirl

Religion is mostly a reflection of the beliefs of those participating in it.

To that end there are Christians/Muslims/Jews/etc. who want to kill/harm/dominate all those who aren't White/Heterosexual/Male as anybody that disagrees with them. These people use the Bible/Quaran/Torah/etc. and say that it validates their idiotic and bigoted actions and beliefs. These people make up a MINORITY and thank the God for that!

There are also Christians/Muslims/Jews/etc. that are accept ant of other people and aren't biased towards your gender/color of skin/ancestry/sexual orientation/past sins and are ok if you disagree with them. These people use the Bible/Quaran/Torah/etc. and say that it validates their beliefs that humans should generally act kind to one another and be tolerant of those who are different. These people make up the MAJORITY and thank Allah for that!

Then there are those that are in between. Christianity is just like any other religion in that it can be used to do really good things or really bad things. Religion is not a substitute for morality. Rather it's an accompaniment to it and can enhance it, if religion makes you a better person than I think that's great.

To put it short, Christianity is that you believe in god (excluding satanism :P), doesn't matter what perspective of it you have.
    The reason why in the bible, it tells of homosexuality being a sin, is more or less the fact of when the bible was written. It was mainstream back then to not mention, or to not tell good of homosexuality (despite many actually being gay), cause of how society worked back then. Heck if your found out that you were gay, you were pretty much tortured and killed.
    The bible was written by humans, not god, so its not perfect, and I can testify to the fact that there are errors/mistakes in the bible, and I am a christian.

Butterfly Mage

Since people of all faiths are welcome, I'll put my two cents in.

Part of why I chose to become a Wiccan is that I reached a point in my life where I came to the spiritual conclusion that man is very capable of hating his fellow man, but God does NOT hate. In Wicca, it doesn't matter if you address deity as "Jesus", "Thor", "Bridgit", or "Shiva". The universal creative intelligence is smart enough to figure out that we are attempting communion with him/her/them/it. Wicca also boils thousands of pages of religious edict into a moral guide that can fit onto a 5"x7" index card. The rules do something like this:
    -- Don't hurt other people on purpose or with malice of intent.
    -- Be prepared to pay threefold if you do hurt other people on purpose
    -- Live a live marked by love and trust
    -- Don't have fools as close friends
    -- Be true to your beloved unless your beloved is adulterous.

So, as you can see, there are no rules that excuse slavery, murder, or revoking another's rights because they follow a different religion or live their lives a different way.

Another reason why I became a Wiccan is that the faith is not at odds with science. In Wicca, we believe that life is possible because of unseen forces that are balanced between the Earth, Moon, and Sun. Science knows these forces as gravity, radiation, and electromagnetism.The fact that Pagans called these forces "magic" is irrelevant. They obviously were on to something.

I also reached a point where some of the stories about YHVH didn't add up. For instance, why can't YHVH create perfection? He obviously either cannot or will not. If he can't, he's not all powerful. If he won't, he's not all good. I also have a tough time believing that the universal creative intelligence will punish someone for all eternity because the person addressed deity as "Allah" instead of "Jesus". A deity that would do that is both evil and unworthy of worship.

Which, of course, leads me back to Wicca being a nature religion. In nature, the same resources are used again and again. The plot of weeds eaten by a rabbit becomes part of that animal until it is eaten by a predator. Then that energy is transferred to the bigger animal. Then when the predator dies, it's energy returns to the ground and helps power the next clump of weeds, flowers, or trees. Nothing is lost and nothing is wasted. It makes sense, then, that there is a parallel in the spirit world. We have lived before and we will live again.