Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi! New DL & SCUBA Diver

Default Hi! New DL & SCUBA Diver

Hmmm... Not sure about that title... I am new here but not a new DL or a new SCUBA diver... LOL

Just wanted to make a quick introduction.

My name is Scott

I have been a DL since my early teens and mainly came here looking for reviews & experiences others have had with various diaper brands.

I enjoy many outdoor activities such as sports, camping, motorcycles, and the one that involves diapers: SCUBA diving. The cold water diving that I do requires the use of a drysuit and that means wearing a diaper because the whole point of wearing a drysuit is that it stays dry inside. Due to something called immersion diuresis, urine output greatly increases during diving. I can explain all the scientific details if anyone is interested but the good news is that diaper wearing is quite common & accepted among the drysuit diving community.

So I am just here to learn a little and maybe share what I know.

Wow, that is very interesting, and welcome fellow east coast countryman! I also enjoy outdoor activities. A few years back me and some friends camped out at Hershey Park. There was a Nickleback, Hinder, Pappa Roach concert there that weekend too that we went to. I'm not much of a Nickleback fan but I liked the other bands that were there. It was a lot of fun.

Hey Scott, welcome to ADISC. I had no idea about diapers and dry suit diving. I wonder among the dry suit diving community if there is a greater proportion of DLs than in the general population? So do tell, where are some of the places that you cold water dive?

Hi Scott and welcome here
    so what diapers have you tried, and does the diving community go for priemium diapers or are Depends the norm?

Hi DLScott,

Thanks for your intro. I'm also a keen SCUBA diver too, and also in a drysuit being from the colder parts of Australia.

I do have a friend who uses an adult diaper (or nappy as its called here), but its definitely a utilitarian thing and not a DL/AB thing. If I'm doing dives for hours and hours I use the usual method (catheter plumbed into the suit valve). I have heard of other people switching over to diapers because they've been occasions where they've had to do a number #2 (yeah I know.. gross). As you might tell some of the dives we do are more technical and deep cave dives which can involve several hours of decompression.

Welcome aboard diver!

Quote Originally Posted by DLScott View Post
    Hmmm... Not sure about that title... I am new here but not a new DL or a new SCUBA diver... LOL

My name is Scott

I have been a DL since my early teens and mainly came here looking for reviews & experiences others have had with various diaper brands.

I enjoy many outdoor activities such as sports, camping, motorcycles, and the one that involves diapers: SCUBA diving. The cold water diving that I do requires the use of a drysuit and that means wearing a diaper because the whole point of wearing a drysuit is that it stays dry inside. Due to something called immersion diuresis, urine output greatly increases during diving. I can explain all the scientific details if anyone is interested but the good news is that diaper wearing is quite common & accepted among the drysuit diving community.

The DL next to the word scuba diving makes me think of Dive Leader instead. I myself do diving too, it's awesome. No diapered diving in my club, not surprised to hear what you say just havent even heard a thing mentioned about it. (then again it is a student club). Enjoy your stay here.

Great intro. I wish more people would dive right in like this. Pun? What pun?

Quote Originally Posted by DLScott View Post

My name is Scott

welcome to the site now i wanna try scuba diving

Well, it looks like some of you may be signing up for SCUBA classes.
    Let's see here. I will try to answer everyone's questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Hi Scott and welcome here
    so what diapers have you tried, and does the diving community go for priemium diapers or are Depends the norm?
    That is a tough one and it would be hard to guess. I know I personally started out with store brands (most of them) and now use Kendall from a medical supply store. It may be related to how often they dive too. It is kind of one of those things that everyone does, everyone knows about, but nobody talks about. Of course it is easy to tell who is who most of the time because there are pretty much 2 options (well 3 if you count short dives as a 3rd option) - p-valve or diapers. The p-valves are easy to spot. You have to cut a hole near the crotch of your dry suit and install a one-way (in theory) valve. It connects on the inside to a condom catheter that is glued on. I find this unpleasant. If you see this on the outside of the suit this is probably the method chosen by the diver because this is an add on item. No valve, pretty good chance the diver is wearing a diaper.

For women... well let's just say there is plumbing connectivity issues. There are solutions but their reliability leaves many lady divers using diapers as "backup" for the planned failure of the system. I have heard several stories of failures of these systems for men too and some involve some very painful squeezing due to unequalized pressure. I would never recommend an internal catheter for diving as it is just too dangerous.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld08 View Post
    Hey Scott, welcome to ADISC. I had no idea about diapers and dry suit diving. I wonder among the dry suit diving community if there is a greater proportion of DLs than in the general population? So do tell, where are some of the places that you cold water dive?
    There is an old saying: "There are 2 kinds of SCUBA divers: those who pee in their wetsuits and those who lie about it." I guess it is kind of accepted. When diving dry you still have to pee but you can't just go in the suit. I don't know there is a greater percentage than the general population. I think it is just seen as necessary. I would not doubt I am the only diver who enjoys that necessity.

There are lots of cold water diving spots around here and more months in the year with cold water than with warm water. Some cold water advantages are sometimes better visibility and there are definitely less divers in the water.
    Some places I have been: Bainbridge, Dutch Springs, Willow Springs, Mt. Storm, Summersville Lake,... Lots of lakes and quarries. I sometimes dive in partially frozen over lakes & ponds to recover 4 wheelers and snowmobiles that were ridden onto too thin ice. It isn't all that hard if you know what you are doing and it can pay pretty well.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ScentedPampers View Post
    Hi DLScott,

Thanks for your intro. I'm also a keen SCUBA diver too, and also in a drysuit being from the colder parts of Australia.

I do have a friend who uses an adult diaper (or nappy as its called here), but its definitely a utilitarian thing and not a DL/AB thing. If I'm doing dives for hours and hours I use the usual method (catheter plumbed into the suit valve). I have heard of other people switching over to diapers because they've been occasions where they've had to do a number #2 (yeah I know.. gross). As you might tell some of the dives we do are more technical and deep cave dives which can involve several hours of decompression.

Welcome aboard diver!
    Wow, that is pretty hardcore. I have never heard of anyone staying down so long they needed to do a #2 but maybe it is just one of those things nobody talks about and if they did do that I may never know anyway. I can't say I have done hours and hours of deco but I've done the whole bit of diving doubles, stage bottles, tri-mix, and the works. Pretty much anyone diving a dry suit is a pretty serious diver and goes a little deeper and longer and longer than the average wet diver, especially around here because rentals are just not available. The cost of the dry suit alone is enough to make you need to be pretty serious to make that investment.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The DL next to the word scuba diving makes me think of Dive Leader instead. I myself do diving too, it's awesome. No diapered diving in my club, not surprised to hear what you say just havent even heard a thing mentioned about it. (then again it is a student club). Enjoy your stay here.
    Yeah, I don't think there is much talk about it in general. If it is a student club, maybe the type of diving that is being done would not require dry suits & diapers. Find an instructor in the club and ask what do if you have to P while diving dry. It is no secret in the diving community. Just not openly discussed.
    Hmmm... I wonder if I am breaking some kind of rule by talking about it so much here?