Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart's business practices

Default Wal-Mart's business practices

I don't work there but I heard they got good benefits practically on par with military benefits from what I've seen. Other then stuff like providing a place to sleep in say barracks and stuff like that.

Here's a list of benifits they offer. Pretty cool I think.

http://walmartstores.com/careers/7750.aspx

Except the vast majority of people at walmart are part time and thus not eligible for the benefits listed there. Also walmart pays crappy wages meaning that the money paid towards the insurance is a higher % of their income than normal.

Mind you the other retail stores are no better... but to call walmart benefits good is failing to realize alot of the other things that make them not good.

Looking at a salary website:
    The $40k is probably an assistant manager. GM's aka the head person makes $120k according to a few sites.

People who are not department heads probably make $10/hr max which works out to $20k a year which in MA is not a living wage (and they probably don't even pay that much).

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I don't work there but I heard they got good benefits practically on par with military benefits from what I've seen. Other then stuff like providing a place to sleep in say barracks and stuff like that.

Here's a list of benifits they offer. Pretty cool I think.

Walmartstores.com: Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Except the vast majority of people at walmart are part time and thus not eligible for the benefits listed there. Also walmart pays crappy wages meaning that the money paid towards the insurance is a higher % of their income than normal.

Mind you the other retail stores are no better... but to call walmart benefits good is failing to realize alot of the other things that make them not good.

Looking at a salary website:
    The $40k is probably an assistant manager. GM's aka the head person makes $120k according to a few sites.

People who are not department heads probably make $10/hr max which works out to $20k a year which in MA is not a living wage (and they probably don't even pay that much).
    From what I've heard before all wal-mart employees are walmart associates. Though that may of changed since the last time I heard it, which was from "Bullshit!"

In any case, I don't think Wal-mart is pure evil. I think they like making as much profit as they possibly can and can and have offered pretty competitive prices.

cookiemonsterbaby76

Wal-mart use to pay good. I do make more than most of the new supervisor in the store because when i started it was based on experience. Now is base on min wage

i have been with wal.mart for eight years and the best that i can get is $11.00 an hour and the most hours that you can hope for is 32 hours a week. they dont hire full time anymore and the ones that are full time they are finding ways to get rid of them. (fireing for any dumb reason) so they dont have to pay out full time benifits/wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    In any case, I don't think Wal-mart is pure evil. I think they like making as much profit as they possibly can and can and have offered pretty competitive prices.
    The real evil of Wal-Mart is the way the operate in tiny rural areas - move in, cut their prices to near cost (including plenty of loss leaders), drive all competition out of business, then revert pricing back up to what they feel is more "healthy" profit margins (usually higher prices than the businesses they destroyed used to charge).

You can see the skeletons of ruined small towns all over the Midwest where Wal-Mart came in and destroyed them, and now Wal-Mart (and maybe Lowe's, which is 50% owned by Wal-Mart) is the only game in a 50-mile radius for anything other than specialty stuff they decline to carry (like auto parts...)

I've witnessed it firsthand, and it's a bleak, depressing sight.

so verry true of what wbdaddy said .our tiny town used to thrive with buisness about twenty to fourty little shops downtown. when wal.mart moved in and took over the town it became a ghost town. now its either wal.mart or nothing here. liyyeraly there is no buisness left here.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    The real evil of Wal-Mart is the way the operate in tiny rural areas - move in, cut their prices to near cost (including plenty of loss leaders), drive all competition out of business, then revert pricing back up to what they feel is more "healthy" profit margins (usually higher prices than the businesses they destroyed used to charge).

You can see the skeletons of ruined small towns all over the Midwest where Wal-Mart came in and destroyed them, and now Wal-Mart (and maybe Lowe's, which is 50% owned by Wal-Mart) is the only game in a 50-mile radius for anything other than specialty stuff they decline to carry (like auto parts...)

I had heard that Wal-Mart had a stake in Lowes before, but I've never been able to source it definitively. You wouldn't happen to have a source on hand, would you? I refuse to spend money at Walmart or enterprises I know are primarily Walmart subsidiaries, and if Lowe's is one of them I'll stop shopping there tomorrow.

And I'll attest to Walmart destroying small towns. I grew up in a small farm town of about 3,200 people (biggest town in the county, too). Walmart moved in in the very early '90s, and all but two of the businesses on "Main" Street (Huron Avenue) closed within a year. After 10 years, some of downtown had come back, so Walmart expanded into Super Walmart. Two of the three grocery stores in town closed within six months, and several businesses downtown closed within the same time period. In rural towns, after Walmart has run everyone else out of business, they do not pay wages anything like what they put on the website. They know they have a big labor pool that needs something, so they hire people at $7.00/hour part time, so no benefits, no nothing.

But I'll never forget two specific events in my hometown. The first was when Walmart was expanding to become Super Walmart. We had caught several people with handheld scanners in the store already, but then the Walmart manager came into the grocery store I worked at (I was working during the holiday break from college). He proceeded to tell the store owner that Walmart was going to shut him down, so he might as well do it on his terms rather than fighting it out and losing. That was the only time I ever remember our older, kindly, devout Christian store owner not only lose his temper, but shout at the top of his lungs for the Walmart manager "Get out! You get the fuck out of my store, and if ever set foot here again I'll call the cops!"

A couple years later, after Walmart had expanded and the store I had worked at was going stronger than ever (despite higher prices and being closed on Sundays), my hometown experienced that eight-state power outage. When it became apparent that some of the food was going to spoil, the owner of the store I worked at opened the store, literally gave the frozen foods away, and sold the meat for $1.00 per package just to get the stuff out of the store and avoid it going to waste. Walmart called in dumpsters from the local sanitation company and threw away all of the perishables.

Those two things were plenty indicative of how Walmart conducts itself as a company, and after seeing them waste all that food, especially when people in the county were really hurting, I vowed I was never going to shop at Walmart again. That was in 2003, and I'm quite proud to say that I have not spent money at Walmart since then. The thing is, every single improvement Walmart has made in its business practices has not been a willing choice, either. It's not like they suddenly decided to stop being fuckers. They've been dragged forward kicking and screaming, and as long as that continues to be the case, I will continue to oppose them.

to xbabyx lowes is a split off of wall.mart they were desighned to handle the overload of non consumable products that wal.mart wouldnt stock as in lumber supplys due to how much room it takes up.this came about before sams club came about. so to answer your question yes they are a division of wall.mart. its just not publicy known. ever wonder why there is always a lowes near or next to a wal.mart? if you look at the building desighn/store front they are exactly the same. and have you ever noticed a lowes truck at wal.mart just sitting there?

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post

If other businesses are losing sales then people that were shopping their aren't anymore. Wal-mart is there as a option, but people aren't forced to shop there when it opens at all. Plus amazon is more dangerous then wal-mart I think especially if they get people to sing up for amazon prime.

However at the end of it all, the consumers for the most part have and will be the ones choosing who stays and goes.

Quote Originally Posted by THUMPERKATYLYNN View Post
    and have you ever noticed a lowes truck at wal.mart just sitting there?
    I heard Wal-mart let's people "camp" (in their cars, trucks, RVs) in the parking lot for the night. Trucker's can just be using it as a impromptu truck stop. Also there's a Lowes right next to the Wal-mart here in Stockton off Hammer Lane. But Lowes there was a major land development in that area. Plus the big box stores always seem to like to be clustered together so people walk out of one store and go "Hey, lets go to _____. It's right over here."