Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaving Legs advice?

Default Shaving Legs advice?

Does your legs itch several days after shaving? It always happens to me so that's why I don't shave my legs very often anymore. I have to soon though because I go to Las Vegas and the hotel have swimming pool and I love hot tub, so obviously I have to shave my legs.

Any advice about how to stop itchy on legs?

The fist few times were really irritative for my legs.
    However I do find different razors do make a difference.
    I haze a electric razor, and I find that helps a lot, then I go over with a finer razor to get a really close shave.
    Though I heard waxing will get it the closest (as it pulls the whole hair out, opposed to trimming it), and over time makes the hair grow less, which I kinda want (after shaving my hair grows back noticeably the next day), but I haven't had the chance to try it.

Hey Emmy

When I first shaved my legs (maybe 10yrs ago), I definitely felt uncomfortable after 2 days: it was like lots of needles stabbing me when clothes rubbed up against my skin. It got really irritated and I had tonnes of red bumps and ingrown hairs. It was so itchy and a little painful. It was pretty brutal. I only kept it up for a couple weeks.

When I started again 5 weeks ago, I'm much better at shaving in general, and although there was some initial irritation, it was pretty much fine. It takes your legs a few weeks (or even months) to acclimate to being shaved. And don't do it more than ~2x/week. Pretty much every 3-4 days is enough: more will cause irritation and problems.

One key is to let the razor do all the work: don't press down hard, but let it glide (and use shaving cream). Then moisturize 1-2 times/day, and that should really help with the itching! And, of course, the longer you stay with it, the more your legs will just adapt and you won't itch at all.

You can also try shaving the opposite way. Like if you usually start at your ankle and go up (like I do) start from your knee and go down. It will cut the hair differently, possibly eliminating razor burn. (especially true if you have curly hair). Also, make sure your razor is new and clean when you first start using it. Don't use an old one. You'll get a closer cut as well.

If none of that works, try switching between electric razors, disposable razors, reusable razors with and without shave gel bars. I find that that reusable razors with shave gel bars work best for me.

And lastly use a really gentle lotion (baby lotion?). It might just be that your skin isn't use to getting so much air, and it's drying out your skin. Also make sure you wash your legs after you shave (like if your in the shower, wash your body after you shave). If you don't shave in the shower, I'd recommend that as well. Not only is it easier, but the water might help ease the itchiness.

Use shaving gel or something and then moisturize your legs afterwards. That can help in the short term. Long term, keep shaving. Your body will get used to it and calm down.

From the female perspective: Never 'dry shave'. I find that shaving in the shower helps. Get your legs completely wet (hotter water makes for better/easier shave) and lather up with LOTS of shave gel/foam (do NOT use soap that will just dry out your skin) Make sure to rinse completely. If your skin is unusually dry use a moisturising cream.

Thanks all for the advice... appreciate it very much! =D

I think I will try to shave and apply moisturising cream at least once a day to keep the itchiness down. Maybe anti-itch cream too? Then will try to shave around 1-2 times a week and try to get my legs to get used of it. Spring isn't far off now so may as well start shaving and get used of it since I want to wear dresses/skirts more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    Thanks all for the advice... appreciate it very much! =D

I think I will try to shave and apply moisturising cream at least once a day to keep the itchiness down. Maybe anti-itch cream too? Then will try to shave around 1-2 times a week and try to get my legs to get used of it. Spring isn't far off now so may as well start shaving and get used of it since I want to wear dresses/skirts more often.
    There are some lotions that moisturize and are anti-itch, when you go looking for some, look for ones that do both. It might help save some money. You can put the lotion on right after you shave, then you'll have the added bonus of being super soft and silky too. Good Luck! If you have any more issues, or if those remedies don't work, feel free to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by MrKittyKat View Post
    has anyone tried waxing at all?
    Ouch. I'm a girl and I've never had the 'balls' to do it. (sorry if that was obscene, I was attempting to be funny). Although, it's said to last longer. And after the pain subsides I bet it makes your skin really soft. If you're going to wax, I'd think that having shorter hair (there needs to be at least a quarter inch for most places) would help it to not hurt as much? It can also get pretty expensive too. I think in the long run, shaving is probably cheaper.