Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Internet Relay Chat Client Has Stopped Working"

Default "Internet Relay Chat Client Has Stopped Working"

So, since Google refuses to help as I seem the be the only person in the world that has this problem (other than one other person who's solution didn't help one bit), I've decided to come here since there's at least some hope I can get this figured out.

I use, or used now, Ice Chat 7. Say what you want if you dislike it, that's fine. But I used it and I liked it. Until yesterday, it worked perfectly. Out of nowhere, however, it decided to quit responding and then it closed. Every time I click on the icon, I get a message instantaneously that reads: "Internet Relay Chat Client Has Stopped Working" and then Microsoft tries to find a solution and troubleshoot, but nothing can be found.

There is no other error message. There's nothing. It gives me that message and waits for me to click "OK" and then it closes. The chat itself doesn't even open. Only thing I can get is that damn message.

Microsoft decided it was a compatibility issue and tried multiple things to fix that, all of which didn't work. The creator of Ice Chat had responded to a post on his forum two years ago by someone who is having the same problem as me. He said to exclude IceChat 7 from the DEP in the system panel, which I've done and tried many, many times.

I've uninstalled and wiped it completely several times and reinstalled.
    I've ran error checks on my disk drive and drivers and anything else I could think of, all of which didn't seem to work.

So, ADISC, any idea what's going on? That's actually the only client I enjoyed, and I had it all set perfectly to how I like it.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Yeah, I didn't entirely expect an answer right away. :P I'll be surprised if I even get one, considering no one in the world seems to know what's going on.

Did windows (or anything else) update recently?

In all likelyhood, something on your system has changed and your program is no longer compatible. This can happen when using older software (as a lot of software is built on non-guarenteed features in the windows world). A google shows there is a version 9 of IceChat .. maybe try upgrading?

I started using IceChat 9, but it's not a finished product yet. There's a lot of differences from it and IC7 that bug me.

Nothing has updated. The most I've done is installed drivers for a new mouse, and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of since that my mouse would be the cause...

Hello

I suspect IceChat needs to be added to the exceptions list in DEP settings. I have had others complain about this and this fixed the problem.
    Is that you already tried?

If so, one other thing you may try is right clicking and opening it as administrator. A secutiry setting may have changed on your computer that is blocking IC7's access to something. Try opening it as an admin. Also you may try running it in compatibility mode for vista or XP.

I use IC7 and have Win7 and have had not had any problems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ABalex View Post
    Is that you already tried?

If so, one other thing you may try is right clicking and opening it as administrator. A secutiry setting may have changed on your computer that is blocking IC7's access to something. Try opening it as an admin. Also you may try running it in compatibility mode for vista or XP.

I use IC7 and have Win7 and have had not had any problems so far.
    I excluded it from DEP, ran it under every compatibility mode and have it set to run as admin. I've never had this problem until I got my new mouse a few days ago, but to think the mouse driver is the problem seems silly.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I excluded it from DEP, ran it under every compatibility mode and have it set to run as admin. I've never had this problem until I got my new mouse a few days ago, but to think the mouse driver is the problem seems silly.
    You'd be surprised at how often it's the little things that seem so unrelated that can be the problem. Try uninstalling your new mouse, and using it with the old one again. If that works...well...I dunno what to say. The mouse'd be the problem in that case, but I dunno if you'd want to switch software or hardware

Stupid question, but is the mouse a logitech mouse by any chance? I only ask as my GF started having issues with Icechat when she recently changed to using one. Turned out to be a a problem with the software to remap the functions of the extra buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post
    Stupid question, but is the mouse a logitech mouse by any chance? I only ask as my GF started having issues with Icechat when she recently changed to using one. Turned out to be a a problem with the software to remap the functions of the extra buttons.
    Logitech mouse, two extra mappable buttons. The software it needed, MotionInjoy, caused me a bit of trouble with installation and such, and the driver didn't want to work properly for some time. Considering that you seem to have guessed it to a T, I'm tempted to believe that the mouse, and the drivers, might have something to do with it. But a mouse seems like it can't really tamper with anything.
    Last edited by KuroCat; 18-Feb-2012 at 05:55.

Usually if their software is the cause it's because of how it hooks into the OS to get the information it needs to know if it should apply certain per application customizations/fixes for a particular application. The same thing happens with Microsoft's Intellipoint software, although it's less common.

You should be able to remove the software and run it with the standard mouse driver. If the software and/or driver is at fault, it should behave normally with the standard driver. The other possibility is that they may have included a private version of one of the MS runtime dlls and it's causing a conflict. Next time it crashes, look at the details and check the list of dlls related to the fault. It should give some hints as to the actual issue.

It doesn't display a list of details or any information as to why it may have crashed. It simply hands me an error message and tells me to close it, which is the only option.

The only thing Windows said would be causing the problem is a compatibility issue, but its suggestion was a simple "set compatibility mode to Vista," which did no good.

I could uninstall the driver, MotionInjoy, and see if that works, but I'm afraid the mouse will have a stroke and refuse to do anything of use again. The mouse refused to respond until I tracked down the driver and re-installed it a large number of times.