Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/11

Default 9/11

So in about 1 and a half hours, the date will mark the 7th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I don't know about anyone else here (well, in the US at least) who have things in their community going on, but being that I was born and raised ~15-20 miles from south Manhattan -- well, no, all of New York will be having some type of commemorative activity. Especially here where I am...

But anyway, we -- as in, my high school Naval JROTC unit has layed out 2998 flags on the football field of my school. In addition to that, our school will have a commemorative assembly. Afterwords, me, a few friends, my family, and friends of the family (mostly Fire Department guys -- I'm a junior volunteer for those who don't know) will take a drive to Battery Park in two of our trucks -- on from Engine company and another from Rescue company -- to sign our names on the pillars that are standing in Battery Park. We lost 7 guys who were off-duty that day who were in our department. They were off-duty at the time, and they left their own jobs to respond to the World Trade Center. In addition to that, friends of the family in FDNY, and a lot of people in the department who knew people (total count? we ourselves knew 73 firefighters who died in the WTC). We will be there at Ground Zero when the beams of light are lit. From there, we'll probably all grab some homemade pizza at Ladder or Engine over at FDNY with friends from there, and head home.

I hope everyone here will say a prayer or two for thosee who lost their lives -- as well as gave them! -- on this day 7 years ago. Not just Americans, but people around the world. It was not just a tragedy for New Yorkers that day, it was a tragedy for all of the people who live on this Earth.

So, God Bless.

Wow, it doesn't even seem like 7 years ago. Thanks for posting this and helping me remember. I will definately say a prayer, or a lot of prayers, for those who lost their lives and their families. God Bless!

As always I commemorate this day.. by shaking the hand of every veterain, fireman, and policeman I come across

Same here, it doesn't even feel like 7 years. I was 12 and still in middle school (6th grade I think) when the attack happened. Thanks for posting this and reminding me about it.

No disrespect to anyone who cares about this day but this country needs to move on.

weswissa

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Same here, it doesn't even feel like 7 years. I was 12 and still in middle school (6th grade I think) when the attack happened. Thanks for posting this and reminding me about it.
    Me too... It was a sad day... we didn't do anything but watch TV the whole time at school that day. They are in my prayers.

~Weswissa

No disrespect to anyone who cares about this day but this country needs to move on.
    You know what dude, shut the hell up. Move on? From 2998 deaths?? Right, move on when there are people who are still suffering from lung problems because of the dust from the towers when they fell? How about the people whose families are ruined because their main source of income is ruined, and left without a father? Or a mother? OR BOTH? Huh? Do you really know? Don't say, that this country needs to move on. It wasn't like 2998 deaths was from some natural disaster (which would have also been tragic!), no. 19 al-Queda f#cktards decided to steal 4 planes and crash them into big, important American buildings, which in the end, killed 2998 people. It's called being at war. What the hell kind of country would not do a *god damned thing* if something like 9/11 happened to them? They'd go "oh, shit... well, it happened, let's move on..." ? I DONT THINK SO.

weswissa

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    You know what dude, shut the hell up. Move on? From 2998 deaths?? Right, move on when there are people who are still suffering from lung problems because of the dust from the towers when they fell? How about the people whose families are ruined because their main source of income is ruined, and left without a father? Or a mother? OR BOTH? Huh? Do you really know? Don't say, that this country needs to move on. It wasn't like 2998 deaths was from some natural disaster (which would have also been tragic!), no. 19 al-Queda f#cktards decided to steal 4 planes and crash them into big, important American buildings, which in the end, killed 2998 people. It's called being at war. What the hell kind of country would not do a *god damned thing* if something like 9/11 happened to them? They'd go "oh, shit... well, it happened, let's move on..." ? I DONT THINK SO.
    Dude, we did do something... I think we invaded Afganistan, and you don't have to get so mad for someone voicing there opinion. Isn't what this country was founded on? It was a horrible tragedy, but you can't revel in it forever. It's time to move on.

~Weswissa

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin Himura View Post
    It's a lot easier to 'move on' from Alabama than it is New York...just a thought.

weswissa

Quote Originally Posted by andysetra View Post
    It's a lot easier to 'move on' from Alabama than it is New York...just a thought.
    And? Just because I live here doesn't mean I didn't know people who died there. Don't assume things like that.

~Weswissa