Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time passing

Default Time passing

I think this is the right forum for this.

Does anyone else feel the same way? I'm not old by any means but it feels like the older I am getting the quicker time flies by. I remember being a kid where you might've woke up and watched some Saturday morning cartoons and you had the whole day ahead of you. Today is my first day off in a week and I have to work another 5 straight starting tomorrow. Today flew. Once about 2pm came next thing I knew it was supper time, and now it's after 8pm (my time) and I feel like I just finished supper. I find it kinda interesting, it feels like I never have time for anything anymore. It's not a bad thing I guess but sometimes I just miss having weekends that actually felt like you could relax :P

teddybear206

yeah i feel this way too

I think this has a lot to do with routine.

When you are going through childhood/school .. you are always learning.

Once you become an adult, you still learn stuff.. but not at nearly the bandwidth of your childhood. Most of your day to day (work, eat, sleep) stuff is routine, and our brain spends less time focused on it .. running in a kind of autopilot.

There's actually been some interesting study into internal time perception. Can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the common theory is most people live about half their perceived life by the age of 20.

EDIT: Did a quick google search and this came up: http://blog.tedd.no/2011/11/16/inter...ception-aging/

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    There's actually been some interesting study into internal time perception. Can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the common theory is most people live about half their perceived life by the age of 20.

EDIT: Did a quick google search and this came up: Internal time perception (aging) | Tedds blog
    That's crazy. I'm starting to get to that age where everything seems to go by faster and faster too, but I had no idea about that.

I think the acceleration of time is directly linked with the amount of responsibility you have. When we are kids the most we generally had to do on a Saturday was chores. Other than that we spent days passing time without any real direction, letting days blend together wiithout all the cares that we deal with in adult life.

Now as adults we have to plan and handle crisis's and worry about all the things like bills and jobs and kids; all these things that fill our day and make it flash by so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
    That's crazy. I'm starting to get to that age where everything seems to go by faster and faster too, but I had no idea about that.
    I think anything that breaks you out of routine is a good thing. I say that but I'm terrible at it (I'm very much a person of habit).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post

EDIT: Did a quick google search and this came up: Internal time perception (aging) | Tedds blog
    Thats insane I'm only 17 and almost a half of my perceived life is over.
    Last edited by huskvarna; 13-Feb-2012 at 06:33.

The older you get the faster time flys by. Sad but true so don't waste it, spend it diapered!

Just wait until the decades start flying by. We tend to measure some of our time with the shows we've watched on television and the celebrities who starred on them. Once the shows have drifted into history, and the celebrities start dying, you begin to get some perspective of time which is lost along with that part of your life. It's unnerving.

My new work schedule keeps me very busy, and marks my day into seven segments. I just seem to work through them and suddenly the day is done. Since the job sucks, I'm glad the day is over. The weekends fly by way to quickly as does the summer when I'm off from school.

Yes, its actually a thing that causes me a lot of stress. I don't even have a job, so it makes me wonder how I'd be anything but a slave if I actually had one. I don't know how I'd ever feel like I had any time to myself at all. I have lots of problems though, that I won't go into in this post, so it's a lot more complicated than that. A lot. Sometimes I feel like I'm just not cut out to be an adult.