Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh boy, an introduction forum

Default Oh boy, an introduction forum

Why would anyone want to read this? Wouldn't you rather get to know people through actual discussion?

Bu bu but it so fun listening to intros better to kno the person so ur unable to insult then on accident ;o me no wan hurt somones feelings ;(

Well yes and no. The introduction forum is about introducting yourself to the community without having to go through a discussion. With 20,000 members, it is impossible to introduce yourself to everyone here on ADISC through discussion, so the introduction forum facilitates a public introduction to all the members. Think of it much like a press release when a new CEO or board member is hired, where the person (being hired) is introduced to the companies investors through a public statement. The introduction is not for you to "get to know people" rather it is to introduce yourself and is viewed as a "initiation rite" when entering this forum.

By introducing yourself you are allowing people who have common ideas, interests and opinions to contact you and befriend you, a much more efficient solution compared to discussions with randomly selected persons.

To much info make it sound like a executive forums wen were mostly about fun an js im on a ipod before u harass me anout speling

Where else is better to start actual discussions of just about anything with an individual member?

Yeah right! I need to know you like diapers before I can talk to you. Them's the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by XVII View Post
    Why would anyone want to read this? Wouldn't you rather get to know people through actual discussion?
    You mean actual discussion that you don't take part in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuples View Post
    With 20,000 members, it is impossible to introduce yourself to everyone here on ADISC through discussion, so the introduction forum facilitates a public introduction to all the members.
    The board maintains 4,000 active members, and I'm sure less than a quarter of them take the time to read every new introduction. I'd much prefer to engage in the forums as I choose, instead of being forced to make what I consider a useless introduction post simply because I'm not ready to begin posting.

Lurking is not a crime.

The board maintains 4,000 active members, and I'm sure less than a quarter of them take the time to read every new introduction. I'd much prefer to engage in the forums as I choose, instead of being forced to make what I consider a useless introduction post simply because I'm not ready to begin posting.

Lurking is not a crime.
    We know, a fair portion of the current staff are ex lurkers (heck, not lurking enough was the big mistake I did when I first joined).

The main reason we put people in lurker status is to nudge people into getting over the fear of posting for the first time. Wether its effective or useful is up for debate, I guess, but we do have a few prominent member that only started posting because we forced them to. And status quo is a powerful force, just not as powerful as compound interest.

I'd be shocked if a quarter of active members actually read the intro forum on a regular basis. Maybe a quarter of very regular members. Its still a great place for a first post, though, since it allows you to meet a few people and strike a conversation with them about something that interests both parties. I distinctly talking about (Association) Football with Arlikra and Braunschweig with Peachy in my Intro thread. It also gives members a bit of info on you when they stumble upon one of your post elsewhere on the forum.

That and Talula gets sad when new members don't write intros

Anyway, welcomed aboard ^^

Sent from my iPhone

acorn

Oh boy, another one of these introductions. If you followed any of the threads you would have noted that the discussion is usually over before the first page has run its course, all that follows in the subsequent pages are the usual mill of backhanded salutations and exchange of novel insults. So let me guess, the reason you will not make an introduction is because you are a sissy? You sissy’s are all the same!

Worry not, welcome to adisc fellow stranger. If there is anything we can do to make your time on here more miserable, please let us know. As a matter of interest, what threads on here caught your attention?