Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy Boot Camp

Default Navy Boot Camp

Hey just thought I'd let ya'll know where I'll be. Although, I don
    t think this is the right place to put this post. I'm really nervous, excited, and freakin' out (kinda). Going to Navy Recruit Training Command. I'll be gone for a couple of months so to the admins. please don't delete my account.

Umm.. So besides the 11 General Orders, running and getting screamed at in the face, would anybody like to tell me what to expect and how to deal with it? As in anybody got any advice?

I believe I need order in my life, that is why I will make a sacrifice for once in my life and go through with this. Although I know I'm not going to like getting yelled at, I will deal with it in my own way.
    Last edited by Cory2010; 10-Feb-2012 at 05:06.

I wish you the best of luck! I only wish I had been able to go Navy after high school but unfortunately my disabilites kept me from military service as my dream was to go four years Navy and then go to the California Highway Patrol academy and ultimately become a CHP officer. I wish you the best of luck and I hope it goes well for you!

WildThing121675

How soon do you go?

First off, start getting in better shape. Right now. If you're somewhere warm, start jogging a few miles a day, every day. Start doing calisthenics. If you like somewhere cooler, find a gym you can join. Local gyms are usually more amenable to short-term non-contract memberships, and I imagine particularly so if you say you're joining the military and want to bulk up a bit before boot camp. Work on building some muscle and efficiency- be stronger, and be able to run further with less fatigue. Don't worry so much about dropping body weight tremendously. You'll drop it in boot camp.

Just remember that it is a mental game. You'll be put under quite a bit of stress and at times it will seem like they are asking you to do things that seem impossible to accomplish. You'll be aggrivated doing menial tasks over and over again and will be indoctrined in the military's time old tradition, 'hurry up and wait' to the extreme. Just keep your head on your shoulders, your chin up, and remember that this will be one of the best times of your life. Though it may not seem like it when you're going through it. Also, yell. Yell answers as loud as you can whether it is the wrong question or not. Sometimes the instuctors look for confidence rather than answers.

Also, Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

Good luck Cory!!!!! Like NightFox said get in shape and be ready to be yelled at a lot!!! I am a retired veteran and did my boot camp at Parris Island Marine Recruit Depot in the summer of 1977. Always remember that you are being made and told to do something that many more Sailors in recruit training have done before (even though you may not feel that way at the time)! Before you know it graduation day will be there and you will be a full fledged Sailor!!!!! Again good luck and congratulations on your decision to serve our country.

I was not in the Navy, but I don know a few folks who went through it. You will be in Great Lakes IL. (OH BOY!! IL. in winter) The Boot camp is not as physically brutal as say the marines or Army, but you will have physical training, you must complete the 1.5 mile run in 12:51, that is ruff for some folks. Boot ends with a 48 hour hell called "Battle Stations" were you are put into a simulation that will require you do everything from simulated ship board combat ops to damage control in a simulated ships compartment that they can actually flood with water while you are trying to plug the holes. I have heard that it is either a blast or a nightmare depending on your skill and attitude. 48 hours, hard work, skills use and no sleep, sounds like fun.

Aside from 11 General Orders, you will learn the 16 count manual of arms with a M-1 that weights 9.5 pounds, oh and they use that christly rifle for a very special punishment, involving alot of standing and holding out in front of you. You will learn basic military customs, ship board ops, chain of command, ranks and rates, admin crap like leave, pay and medical. Its a shit ton of classes with the joy of having two men directly under God to correct your every little flaw.
    Keep a good attitude, learn all you can and find a nice spot on your Company Commanders forehead to stare at when he is jumping you shit,, NEVER look em in the eyes. LOL

It's the navy not going be to hard as most think yes you going have to be able run 1.5 miles in 12 min at the end but they help you get there also need do so many push ups and sit ups. When you are doing some tests they will tell you not to lie about how many push up and sit ups your partner completed but what they do want is for you to lie and make sure they pass it stupid but it what they looking for. They going yell at you but legally they not allowed to be within an arms length when they do yell at you. I went through it all like nine year ago and it has gotten easier since then. Last I knew you don't carry guns we never did the worse type of punishment is push ups and jumping jacks on end for a while. Possibly have you make your bed over and over again. You will get there in the middle of the night be allowed a one min phone call to let family know you arrived there alive after which you going have long day of getting your supplies doing drug test and some health things like shots and such. You wont get make another call home for like three weeks or so but then I have heard from people this has changed a bit and more lenient but like said it a rumor. You still going have the chance to drink pop and such at meals they not to bad either. They tell you drink water it the best thing as you always on the go. You going have learn a lot of things about the navy the boats and the chain of command. Remember that it only for two months and once it over be glad all of it changes. I could post more not sure what looking for send a message if any more questions I still have friends in the navy yet and such. I left after four years. One thing would like you to know not sure how much you into going to college but there are a lot of option in the navy you can take classes on the big ships when they underway and when you import the bases all have college offices and offer classes all the time. I recommending as it a great way to get some free college when i left i ranked as a senior in college after all the navy credits transferred and it was my first semester which helped in selecting classes.

NightFox, in answer to your question of how soon do I go, I leave February 20th.I've been in since July 11,2011 and I can't even run a mile. I started training in late October and made a little progress by November as far as running went. Then thanksgiving comes around and I take a break. And now I am here typing this 5 days away from being shipped off.

RedDawn2988, I am quietly thinking what the hell did I get myself into? My chief came by the house just now like less than 5 mins. ago as I type this, and we talked for a bit. Don't ask bc it seems I have a super-short-term memory. No, I'm not diagnosed with short-term memory, but is it bad when you can't even remember what you just said out of your mouth? Everything is a mental game when it comes to boot-camp. Chief, said I have to project more confidence and I have never really been a self-confident person. Every time I get a little bit, some short-person who thinks they are better than me goes and takes me down a few notches. I've not had any type of confidence in a long time.

To Catart: Dude, space your stuff out. You are going to kill my eyes because nothing is spaced out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory2010 View Post
    NightFox, in answer to your question of how soon do I go, I leave February 20th.I've been in since July 11,2011 and I can't even run a mile. I started training in late October and made a little progress by November as far as running went. Then thanksgiving comes around and I take a break. And now I am here typing this 5 days away from being shipped off.

RedDawn2988, I am quietly thinking what the hell did I get myself into? My chief came by the house just now like less than 5 mins. ago as I type this, and we talked for a bit. Don't ask bc it seems I have a super-short-term memory. No, I'm not diagnosed with short-term memory, but is it bad when you can't even remember what you just said out of your mouth? Everything is a mental game when it comes to boot-camp. Chief, said I have to project more confidence and I have never really been a self-confident person. Every time I get a little bit, some short-person who thinks they are better than me goes and takes me down a few notches. I've not had any type of confidence in a long time.

To Catart: Dude, space your stuff out. You are going to kill my eyes because nothing is spaced out.
    Don't worry about what the chief says about you projecting self confidence. If you do your Job (remember you are being paid to be there) you will earn self confidence with ever mod and station you complete. Oh and don't worry so much about the thrice damned 1.5 mile run, you are not the firs dude to ever go in who could not run and they will I PROMISE they will train your body to do it. You want to do something truly useful? Have those 11 General orders memorized backwards and forwards because that will be the first test they give to see who is a hard charger, a normal Boot or a douche bag who just wants the college money. Ya go for a run or two to expand that cardio but really expand that brain power first and always.
    AND relax! Its the Navy, not Marine core or Army Ranger school, the seals or Spetsnaz. They expect you not to be able to do much in the military way, Thats why we have BOOT. So just chill, do your Job and you will be fine.
    On a side note.... Deck ratings are for sissies, go engineering and learn to master the forces of the world contained inside your ships power plant.

Having been where you are, the best thing I can say is enjoy the head games. You're going to have a blast if you allow yourself to. The yelling is just standard practice and not personal. They're going to find and focus on every little mistake so that you learn and better yourself. If you smoke, quit now. Cut out the caffeine too. the first couple weeks at RTC are tough, and if you have to deal with drug withdraw its going to be even harder. Don't be nervous, and when you ship out, travel lite. They're going to take most things from you, and if you'll shipping back everything that doesn't get thrown away. Good luck Shipmate!