Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how I can stop sleeping in class?

Catperson

Default Anyone know how I can stop sleeping in class?

I have tried everything I can... at the moment I get about 5 hours of sleep a night and I get up around 5:30 A.M. I know that I should get more sleep, but I just can't. I don't have the time in my life to go to bed at 9pm. But I can't stop myself from falling asleep in my first 3 periods of the day...

Notice how I said 3. Exactly 3, every day. Namely the third class. I used to sleep in later ones, but my 4th period is physics and I've found that I need to be on constant alert in that class or I fail the tests. But the reason I sleep so much in my 3rd period is because it is just... so... perfect for sleeping. I have economics, which I don't find very intriguing. And my teacher always keeps the room at a comfortable 78ish degrees. Something about the room just makes me want to use my backpack as a blanket/pillow and fall asleep in my chair, every day.

I'm starting to get worried. Today I slept through about 80% of the period, and on top of that I had a very weird dream. Not only am I concerned that my grades will slip, but I'm a little bit afraid that I might blurt out something in my sleep.

I already drink coffee in the morning, I don't know what else to do short of using a shock collar. I'm already struggling to hold onto B's and C's (I'm normally an A/B student), and I can't afford for my grades to sink any lower. Please, does anyone know how I can keep myself awake?

Quote Originally Posted by Catperson View Post
    Please, does anyone know how I can keep myself awake?
    I used to have these problems in high school, different situation entirely, I used to have a rubber band on my wrist and whenever I felt drowsy I'd just snap it a little.

Hope this helps,
    Infallible

You said that you drink coffee in the morning. Do you eat any breakfast?

Eating something in the morning, preferably something whole grain, gives you energy and a slow release of blood sugars.

But really, you should try to get more sleep at night.

Good luck, and don't let your grades slip too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried everything I can... at the moment I get about 5 hours of sleep a night and I get up around 5:30 A.M. I know that I should get more sleep, but I just can't. I don't have the time in my life to go to bed at 9pm. But I can't stop myself from falling asleep in my first 3 periods of the day...

Notice how I said 3. Exactly 3, every day. Namely the third class. I used to sleep in later ones, but my 4th period is physics and I've found that I need to be on constant alert in that class or I fail the tests. But the reason I sleep so much in my 3rd period is because it is just... so... perfect for sleeping. I have economics, which I don't find very intriguing. And my teacher always keeps the room at a comfortable 78ish degrees. Something about the room just makes me want to use my backpack as a blanket/pillow and fall asleep in my chair, every day.

I'm starting to get worried. Today I slept through about 80% of the period, and on top of that I had a very weird dream. Not only am I concerned that my grades will slip, but I'm a little bit afraid that I might blurt out something in my sleep.

I already drink coffee in the morning, I don't know what else to do short of using a shock collar. I'm already struggling to hold onto B's and C's (I'm normally an A/B student), and I can't afford for my grades to sink any lower. Please, does anyone know how I can keep myself awake?
    First off, stop drinking coffee immediately. A lot of people use it maybe once a day and I suppose that's fine for them, but you're setting yourself up to crash later on in the day if you're relying on Caffeine to wake you up. As ShortGuy said, eating breakfast really is one of the best way to start the day, and on top of your breakfast, eating a whole apple will give you close to the same amount of energy (naturally) as a cup of coffee would, but without the crash!

Next, you need to get more sleep. 8 hours normally, and that usually needs to be a minimum. Then, when you wake up, do about 15-30 minutes of exercise. Your body will begin to get itself active and make all of its systems alert and ready to digest the breakfast you should be eating. I guarantee that if you do all of that, not only will be you awake for all of your classes, you will be active in them and getting better grades.

However, it's a matter of discipline. You've gotta keep up with it every day to get the desired results.

teddybear206

5 hour energy it really works ive tried it, way better than coffe

I face the same problem as you very often.

Embrace it, dont fight it

Honestly no good way of staying away through economics other than playing games on an Ipod/Iphone/other gaming device.

I wonder if your problem is that you're just having a hard time falling asleep at night? Maybe worrying about thing you SHOULD be doing rather than sleeping?
    If that's the case, maybe you should look toward treating insomnia. I have some tips for that if you think that may be an issue, but bringing them up unnecessarily would be counterproductive.

If that's not at all the problem, maybe you just need to force yourself to bed earlier. Do you wake up at 5:30 every morning? Regardless of an alarm clock?

A lot of people are saying you need more than 5 hours of sleep. Maybe you don't. Everyone is different and while its scientifically proven that the brain functions best on 9 hours of sleep (technically there is a better answer to that question but that's way off topic). Maybe what you really need is something to keep your brain occupied when you're bored. Maybe bring a coloring book? Or write/draw in a journal so it looks like you're taking notes?

first period economics is a battle for me to stay awake at all, let alone learn anything...

i found that if you put your hands under your desk and lean slightly forward of completely upright, then it helps a little bit.

I have tried everything I can... at the moment I get about 5 hours of sleep a night and I get up around 5:30 A.M. I know that I should get more sleep, but I just can't. I don't have the time in my life to go to bed at 9pm.
    Unless the thing that keeps you from going to bed at night is also the thing that pays the bills, then sleep is more important.

I have the same problem with a couple of my morning lectures, which is why ive never bothered going to them, its not like im learning anything if im half asleep - just a waste of my time.