Thread: Any avid road bikers or bikers in general?

Default Any avid road bikers or bikers in general?

Hey there,
    I was just wondering how many of our members are into biking and/or bike mechanics. I know that AlexFox is into it but I really haven't heard of anybody else. Myself, I road bike, race, mountain bike, play bike polo (a bit), tour and commute. I have 4 bikes in total and a full workshop.

Anyways I was just wanting to gauge the interest adn maybe organize an (active) group or something? I love this community for its members and I would love to chat about bikes and bike mechanics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tuples View Post
    Hey there,
    I was just wondering how many of our members are into biking and/or bike mechanics. I know that AlexFox is into it but I really haven't heard of anybody else. Myself, I road bike, race, mountain bike, play bike polo (a bit), tour and commute. I have 4 bikes in total and a full workshop.

Anyways I was just wanting to gauge the interest adn maybe organize an (active) group or something? I love this community for its members and I would love to chat about bikes and bike mechanics.

Thanks
    ya man, i ride a KLR-650, belong to a local MC (not a 1% club) and I am in the process of buying a Yamaha Stryker in blue.

Love to ride, even rode "The Snake" in TN. 411 curves in 12 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuples View Post
    I have 4 bikes in total and a full workshop.
    Nice! That's the way to do it.

I commute on bike almost every day. Admittedly, that's killed a lot my enthusiasm about riding, but back when I was on a residential campus, I loved mountain biking and road biking. I have an all-terrain bike that's super heavy and a real pain to ride on the roads, but to its merit, it has amazing traction and performs wonderfully on wet and icy roads. When I save up the money, though, I'd really like to invest in a lighter bike. I've been thinking about a cyclo-cross bike, but the whole thing is moot until I start drawing in enough income to cover my bills :\

I love riding. My main stead is my Trek 7.5, a hybrid. My road bike is an old Trek 1200. Though it's old, I love the simple lines of single butted round tubular aluminum. I do most of my own work. I've had bikes where I've taken them all apart and painted them, then reassembled.

AHH you guys are referring to those peddle bikes.... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    AHH you guys are referring to those peddle bikes.... sorry.
    Yep. We came first, so we get claim to "bike". You get "motorcycle".

As for me, I have two rigs. One is a Voodoo steel cyclocross frame built up as a commuter. Disc brakes, Mavic SpeedCity wheels, and SRAM Rival stuff make it a pretty stalwart rig that is still a ton of fun to ride.

My new baby, though, was a reward to myself after surviving and recovering from my accident (I got smashed by an SUV that blew a red light at 40 mph on my commute into work back in 2007, it took me about 2 1/2 years to recover, and I very nearly lost my left leg at several points during that process). It's a fully custom titanium framed road bike from Quiring Cycles, spec'd out with custom wheels, Thompson and Chris King goodies, and SRAM Force bits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voodoo.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	7604

Name:	dragonbike.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	7602

Name:	dragonbike2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	7603

I got a 2004 diamondback bike, it needs some work but I've liked it a lot. Haven't treated it as well as I should have, plus I haven't been out on it in over a year. The back breaks need fixing and I need to replace many if all of the reflectors.