Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed-Wetting No longer for Young Kids

funseeker

Default Bed-Wetting No longer for Young Kids

In a study from Hong Kong 2% of 19 year olds reported current bed-wetting. The study was published in Urology Journal BJU International.
    20% of this huge study also reported they had issues with daytime wetting.
    Today on the radio another study reported kids in school were wetting at an older age and many were not potty trained in school.
    Is this a trend? Do you think the percentage reported is the same in the USA as other countries?

I don't think more do it, but with the advent of "goodnites" and the like people are more willing to admit it then before. I am sure the number of bedwetters might be more then just 2% but people are still embarrassed enough about it to lie or not to seek medical advice on it, there is still the stigma that it only for little children (read babies) so people still might not admit it, but with "goodnites" and the like a few more might admit it to a doctor as it now not "only diapered babies" wet the bed, bigger kids can suffer from it now.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    In a study from Hong Kong 2% of 19 year olds reported current bed-wetting. The study was published in Urology Journal BJU International.
    Today on the radio another study reported kids in school were wetting at an older age and many were not potty trained in school.
    Is this a trend? Do you think the percentage reported is the same in the USA as other countries?
    can you give us a link to that study?

This is very interesting. I'd like to see more of this study in the future.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    Does that include the number of people at that age who involuntarily piss themselves at night after a night of heavy drinking and passing out somewhere? It's the prime age for excessive drinking, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that one out of 100 people you ask would confess to having pissed themselves at night in the past couple of days. That'd cut the rate of 'true' bedwetting in half.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Does that include the number of people at that age who involuntarily piss themselves at night after a night of heavy drinking and passing out somewhere? It's the prime age for excessive drinking, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that one out of 100 people you ask would confess to having pissed themselves at night in the past couple of days. That'd cut the rate of 'true' bedwetting in half.

Peachy
    Peachy has a good point considering the age of the group this could be happening alot.

I'm guessing that this is the study that funseeker is talking about:
    Have fun

---------- Post added at 06:12 ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by babyboy View Post
    I don't think more do it, but with the advent of "goodnites" and the like people are more willing to admit it then before. I am sure the number of bedwetters might be more then just 2% but people are still embarrassed enough about it to lie or not to seek medical advice on it, there is still the stigma that it only for little children (read babies) so people still might not admit it, but with "goodnites" and the like a few more might admit it to a doctor as it now not "only diapered babies" wet the bed, bigger kids can suffer from it now.
    I don't know if this is the case here. Only 1/3rd say they use protection/methods to prevent bedwetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy
    It doesn't say, but I'm going to guess the answer is no. The reason I say this is because the trend of 2-3% stays constant from adolescence to the 40's. What isn't clear to me though is if the study includes people with general incontinence or not.

This was a telephone survey about bedwetting. I truly hope the people who particpated in this had volunteered before hand or were offered compensation, because I just don't see how successful a survey could be when it involves calling random strangers and asking them, "Hi, do you experience bladder control problems during the night? Really, how about your wife. No, no, sir seriously I am conducting a survey. Yes I am aware that the news is full of-damn, they hung up."

That said, I would have to agree with what's been posted here. The majority of adult bedwetters who admitted to this problem have probably exprienced the normal instances of incontinence caused by excessive drinking, possible side effects of medication, and possibly random instances of being tazed by bros.

I wonder what the overall goal of the study was meant for. Medical research, marketing?

Well, if the sample is random a pretty good estimate can be made. One needs to design the study and sampling plan carefully. Best practices of these methods work well. One only needs to ensure the sample represents the population, and that the sample size is large enough to compensate for the outliers.

Statistics and statistical methods are used unethically by folks with an agenda or ax to grind. As you say, Nate, it would be handy to know if there's an agenda here.

I agree with what was said about Goodnites. Before they were produced nappies and bedwetting was for babies and little kids. Bedwetters just had to get on with it, often feeling very alone. The adverts for Goodnites also raised the issue and the pictures on the front of the new packets show much older children.

I don't think there are more people with bladder issues, but there are more ways to deal with it and it is more public, but still a taboo to a great extent.

The internet has also made a big difference allowing people to feel less isolated while giving access to upto date information and new products. When I was a kid and wet the bed I thought it was only me, now a bed wetting kid can easily see on the net that they are not alone. The same goes for all of us with bladder issues