Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you look?

Default Would you look?

So here's the deal, I have a journal I wrote in several years ago. I wrote in it during a dark time in my life and only one other person has ever seen or read what i wrote. After reading my journal they came in crying, gave me a hug and told me they couldn't believe what I had been thru and how I felt about myself and those around me. After that i sealed the journal and put it away, I found it the other day while cleaning and it dawned on me I didn't remember writing all those pages nor did I read over the thoughts I had put to paper. Now i'm wondering should I break the seal and read what i wrote or just put it back and forget I ever found it?

If you where in my shoes what would you do?

to me a journal is like a time capsule. you put things in it at the time of occurance so that some day you can look back and see how things have changed hopefuly for the better. i would say break the seal and see how much you or things in your life have improved. updat the journal and re seal it again for the future to reflect back again later on in life.

I'd suggest reading it. Honestly, I think it would help you more than anything. Reading about a dark period in your life won't make you revert to your old self; it'll most likely help you appreciate the life you have now more than ever. That dark stage in your life was a long time ago, and as Katylynn said before me, maybe you can add a little more into your journal to read later on in life. Maybe you'll look back on the moment you re-opened your journal and begin to appreciate the life you'll have in the future more because of it ^_^

I love how you put it Katylynn, So true about it being a time capsule, and I love the idea of adding to it and re-sealing it. Such a neat idea.

Thanks all!! I never thought about it like that, i'll give it a read and maybe add more to it

In would suggest having a person nearby incase something really hits you hard it's a good idea to have emotional support.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

I found a journal from elementary school and I regretted not having someone.

I wrote poetry all through college and I recently revived that and got it stored to flash drive. Most of it was written at difficult times, ending with a shrink and a suicide card. Several of those poems are here on adisc such as Drunken Boat Revisited. It is an interesting trip down memory lane. The problem I have and must deal with is to not let it lead me down those old roads of depression. Some of those poems were about people I dearly loved and now are far away. Life is a process of change. Hopefully we grow and move on to better things.

Well I read it and first off I can't believe how little things have changed. I'm still broke, still depressed and still angry over the same things. I will say this I can't believe how suicidal I was 8 years ago, it was pretty disheartening the amount of vivid thought I put into it, just upsets me I ever gave suicide that much thought just makes me want to cry. I also realized that the whole time I pitted myself and felt alone like no one cared, there wasn't a single entry where I didn't mention someone who was there for me or someone I was leaning on for support. and that right there made reading what I wrote worth it, because i'm back to feeling alone, worthless and unwanted and now I have a reason to stop back and know there where people there for me once before and there's people here for me know to and that made my night. I also couldn't believe some of the things I revealed in my writing that happened to me as a child, and some of the horrible things I'd done as a teenager/young adult, to know that someone else read these and didn't turn in disgust or shame me as a criminal lets me know that there are people out there who can and are willing to accept me for me and all that I am.

I'm going to start writing in my journal again, at least as long as i'm willing and able. Thanks you all for helping me see I shouldn't be scared of my thoughts but instead use them to reflect and improve. I would suggest keeping a journal to anyone, it's really not as silly an idea as I had lead myself to believe

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRobKY View Post
    Well I read it and first off I can't believe how little things have changed. I'm still broke, still depressed and still angry over the same things. I will say this I can't believe how suicidal I was 8 years ago, it was pretty disheartening the amount of vivid thought I put into it, just upsets me I ever gave suicide that much thought just makes me want to cry. I also realized that the whole time I pitted myself and felt alone like no one cared, there wasn't a single entry where I didn't mention someone who was there for me or someone I was leaning on for support. and that right there made reading what I wrote worth it, because i'm back to feeling alone, worthless and unwanted and now I have a reason to stop back and know there where people there for me once before and there's people here for me know to and that made my night. I also couldn't believe some of the things I revealed in my writing that happened to me as a child, and some of the horrible things I'd done as a teenager/young adult, to know that someone else read these and didn't turn in disgust or shame me as a criminal lets me know that there are people out there who can and are willing to accept me for me and all that I am.

I'm going to start writing in my journal again, at least as long as i'm willing and able. Thanks you all for helping me see I shouldn't be scared of my thoughts but instead use them to reflect and improve. I would suggest keeping a journal to anyone, it's really not as silly an idea as I had lead myself to believe
    I want you to know people like me want you to stay around.

i will be there to help you through hard times as well as many others. we are just a click away. im shure others will agree. there is positive power in numbers. if you ever just need to chat with someone you can always pm. me i will reply and help the best that i can. you have many friends here that would be willing to help im shure. friends.