Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting old...

Default getting old...

I just turned 20 two weeks ago, and i just feel weird saying "im 20" because when people see me they always ask, how old are you 16? Not only that im used to being treated like a kid every where i go, Trust me its has its perks. But its sad to say im getting old. Does anyone else feel this way?

yeah wait until you get to be forty. it sucks when all the young guy's in there 20's ask me if I need help when we are on a job site one I have known sence he was born now he works for me, you think that doesn't make me feel old and he just turned 26

Cherub

Yea, once you are over 21, people really do start treating you differently. When you are nearing 30, you end up on the outside looking in, especially when it comes to the AB/DL community.

When I turned twenty, way back when I was in college, I was so massively depressed. I was no longer a teenager, and being a AB/DL, I really hated the idea that I would be leaving looking like a kid. I could easily pass for a 14 year old when I was in college. There's no stopping getting old, so it's important to remember that there are other perks to aging. Some day I'll think of one.

The whole idea and concept of getting old is no fun, that's why I quit having birthdays at 21! So this year will simply be the eighth anniversary of my 21st birthday ha ha ha!

No, but seriously, getting old isn't something that I look forward to that much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    There's no stopping getting old, so it's important to remember that there are other perks to aging. Some day I'll think of one.
    There are a few perks that I can think of that come with age, not all are guaranteed though....

1. Auto insurance costs go down!
    2. Usually you have more stability once you hit your 30's, not always, but you stand a better chance.
    3. No more awkward moments related to growing up.
    4. More life experience, and practical application.

Well, that's about it, I"m sure there are others though. It's just tough to think of them.

Youth has its perks but so does age I'm 52 and still going strong. It's giving up that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerR View Post
    The whole idea and concept of getting old is no fun, that's why I quit having birthdays at 21! So this year will simply be the eighth anniversary of my 21st birthday ha ha ha!

No, but seriously, getting old isn't something that I look forward to that much at all.

There are a few perks that I can think of that come with age, not all are guaranteed though....

1. Auto insurance costs go down!
    2. Usually you have more stability once you hit your 30's, not always, but you stand a better chance.
    3. No more awkward moments related to growing up.
    4. More life experience, and practical application.

Well, that's about it, I"m sure there are others though. It's just tough to think of them.
    Yes, well done. I think that stability is probably the most realistic. By the time I hit thirty, I was a lot more focused, both in terms of my career and also my family. With some maturity, one's goals become more firmly set. At that age I moved, started a new career, and my kids were one and a half and three and a half. My wife got her first full time teaching job, and we bought a larger, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom and 2 fireplace brick house. We vacationed every summer in Canada on a lake and enjoyed boating, swimming and fishing. Life became more whole.

Even now I am very good at what I do in the work place. I'm writing a novel and have gotten some attention as a published writer.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerR View Post
    Genius!

yeah... sometime's they still ask for my ID when i buy a packet of sigarettes(since you must be at least 16 to buy here) and i'm 21.... i'm small and still dress young so.... but i'm pleased with this! i dont want to get old!

I don't remember any real strong feelings one way or the other when I turned 20. I was already a couple of years into college, so there wasn't a monumental change in my life. I still couldn't legally buy alcohol (which comes at 21 for Americans), and the discount on car insurance doesn't come until 25. My memory is that 20 was just kinda there.

When I turned 30 recently, though, that was a bit depressing. Besides the psychological bits about being older and all the societal implications of being older than your 20s, I also left my job to go back to school not too long before I turned 30. It essentially amounted to a big break with my old life that happened to coincide with me hitting a milestone birthday, and it didn't help that I'm one of the oldest people in my program. There was a period where I almost felt like some older statesman, somehow removed from the fray a bit, and that was kinda lame.