Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any classic metal fans out there?

Default Any classic metal fans out there?

I am a HUGE metal fan. Particularly older metal like metallica, iron maiden etc. But I was just wondering if there were any other metal fans on this site. Just to make the thread a little more interesting, feel free to give your favorite bands and songs by those bands. Thanx peace /,,/

Yup. Seen Maiden once, Metallica twice (though they were on the bill with other bands I was more interested in). My concert going has waned in the past decade but I am looking forward to Van Halen's new album and tour (strictly speaking, not metal, but still). Saw Living Colour in a small club with about 150 people there. Saw Ozzy, Sabbath with Dio, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Black Crowes, Nazareth but also lots of forgettable nonsense (Warrant, Kingdom Come, King Cobra, Bonham, etc...). Be hard pressed to pick a favourite song. Always liked playing Aerosmith's Same Old Song and Dance and can do a passable version of VH's Black and Blue.

Wow... you really know how to live man. I've still never even been to a real concert. Probably cuz all the bands I like are way past their prime (and we just can't really afford it). That's what sucks about liking older music (sigh). Guess i'll just have to watch Cliff em All again

My top-5 metal albums of all time:

1. Master of Puppets - Metallica. Rage + Precision = perfection.
    2. Angel Dust - Faith No More. Yes, this stuff was out there, on the fringe, dabbling in a lot of other things not metal, but that was what made it great - that plus crushing riffs by Jim Martin and ridiculous vocals by Mike Patton.
    3. Piece of Mind - Iron Maiden. What else is there to say, really? Right after they figured out how to best use Dickinson's pipes, right before they started getting self-indulgent (seriously, "Rime" did NOT need to be 18 minutes long), they come with this sonic beatdown.
    4. Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath. Yeah, that's right, I ranked a Dio record higher than anything they did with Ozzy. There's a good damned reason for that. If Paranoid was the prototype, H&H was the realized potential. Front to back, every song kicked ass.
    5. Cowboys From Hell - Pantera. Yeah, I take no joy in posting this one either, but I have to be honest. Dimebag's tone on this record was so awful one wondered what the hell the producer was thinking. Still, this was the best performance Glaze ever turned in, and the songwriting was never again as cohesive as it was here. This record set the standard metal for 15 years forward.

Yeah, you might say I'm old school.

My honorable mention list (without the commentary):

Under The Blade - Twisted Sister
    Images and Words - Dream Theater
    Ace of Spades - Motorhead
    Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? - Megadeth
    Blizzard of Ozz - Ozzy

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    My top-5 metal albums of all time:

1. Master of Puppets - Metallica. Rage + Precision = perfection.
    2. Angel Dust - Faith No More. Yes, this stuff was out there, on the fringe, dabbling in a lot of other things not metal, but that was what made it great - that plus crushing riffs by Jim Martin and ridiculous vocals by Mike Patton.
    3. Piece of Mind - Iron Maiden. What else is there to say, really? Right after they figured out how to best use Dickinson's pipes, right before they started getting self-indulgent (seriously, "Rime" did NOT need to be 18 minutes long), they come with this sonic beatdown.
    4. Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath. Yeah, that's right, I ranked a Dio record higher than anything they did with Ozzy. There's a good damned reason for that. If Paranoid was the prototype, H&H was the realized potential. Front to back, every song kicked ass.
    5. Cowboys From Hell - Pantera. Yeah, I take no joy in posting this one either, but I have to be honest. Dimebag's tone on this record was so awful one wondered what the hell the producer was thinking. Still, this was the best performance Glaze ever turned in, and the songwriting was never again as cohesive as it was here. This record set the standard metal for 15 years forward.

Yeah, you might say I'm old school.

My honorable mention list (without the commentary):

Under The Blade - Twisted Sister
    Images and Words - Dream Theater
    Ace of Spades - Motorhead
    Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? - Megadeth
    Blizzard of Ozz - Ozzy
    THANK YOU!!! I LOVE PEACE SELLS!!! I was also really considering getting cowboys from hell. Oh and its nice to have such a prestigious author in the thread.

Oh - I guess I shouldn't mention that I saw Maiden on the World Slavery Tour back in '85... Talk about a defining moment in my young life...

I guess my rough top three songs would be (in no particular order):

Iron Maiden - Hooks in You
    Megadeth - Sweating Bullets
    HammerFall - Blood Bound

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    What's so bad about thinking Cowboys From Hell is an excellent album? Like you say it's still relevant and influenced essentially every metal band since but you seem embarrassed to say that you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    What's so bad about thinking Cowboys From Hell is an excellent album? Like you say it's still relevant and influenced essentially every metal band since but you seem embarrassed to say that you enjoy it.
    Because that guitar tone is just so f***ing bad, and millions of wannabe metal guitarists were influenced by Darrell's tone on that record, resulting in nearly a decade of truly horrific metal albums afflicted with that same scooped-out nasty S***-sounding guitar.

Supersam1223

Favourite bands:

1. Slipknot
    2. Bullet For My Valentine
    3. As I Lay Dying
    4. All That Remains
    5. Iron Maiden

Favourite albums:

1. Slipknot Slipknot
    2. Fever Bullet For My Valentine
    3. Scream Aim Fire Bullet For My Valentine
    4. An Ocean Between Us As I Lay Dying
    5. For We Are Many All That Remains

The most important album of my life so far, is Scream Aim Fire by Bullet For My Valentine; it introduced me to metal.

The only live show I've seen was Bon Jovi at the London O2 Arena.