Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ... But why?

Question ... But why?

Look; I'd hate to sound rude but some of you guys are just plain silly! Perhaps it's just confusion on my behalf but since when did you have to "Come out" as a furry?

Is it that much of a taboo that you have to go up to your parents, all scared and quivering and say "Mom and Dad... I'm a furry. I draw animals." Like come on now, what're they gonna do to you? Kick you out because you draw animals?

Perhaps I'm just annoyed at seeing the sob stories "Oh it went so well with my mom she thinks my art is super cute!... But dad doesn't like it."

Listen; my step mother knows I'm a furry and I didn't tell her. She doesn't /really/ care, she just wants me to stay away from the sexual business and tries to keep me away from it best she can. My actual mother loves it, and she thinks it's the damned cutest thing. Dad doesn't care for it.

Can one of you furs PLEASE tell me why you deem it necessary to tell you're parents that you're a furry? PLEASE?

Completely agree. It's like saying "Tonight I'm gonna tell my parents that I'm a Sonic fan".

It's not like you really need to "hide" stuff unless you want to get a suit or something, but if you can afford that you should really be living on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    Completely agree. It's like saying "Tonight I'm gonna tell my parents that I'm a Sonic fan".

It's not like you really need to "hide" stuff unless you want to get a suit or something, but if you can afford that you should really be living on your own.
    Gah! Finally someone who understands. I mean; I've even seen threads here and people are treating it like their coming out of the closet. >A<!! It confuses me so, so much.

This is something I don't understand myself, BUT I've never had a need to 'come out' as a furry, my parents have always known. Furthermore, I think perhaps some people feel more strongly about being furry than others. I can understand someone coming out if they felt it was a large part of their identity, although to be honest I can't imagine how one would start that discussion at all.

I would say though, that I don't doubt there are parents who would disown their children for being furry. The world is a shitty place.

And when you get down to it, furry is damn weird, anyway. Part of what makes someone knowing you're furry potentially scary is misinformation (or just people deliberately being dicks), like people calling you a 'dogfucker' or whatever. What if your family's somehow aware of some of the fandom and thinks it's disgusting? Some people think being GAY is a big deal, what would they think of a community of people who draw hardcore bondage pictures of Bugs Bunny? So in some places, yes it can be a taboo.

For some people the term implies and means a great deal more than "I draw animals." For such people, it might indeed be a bit step telling someone else. And some people are very . . . set in their ways; explaining something like being gay or furry or AB/DL to them isn't going to go well. It just gets that much harder when you're younger and it's your parents you're talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    For some people the term implies and means a great deal more than "I draw animals." For such people, it might indeed be a bit step telling someone else. And some people are very . . . set in their ways; explaining something like being gay or furry or AB/DL to them isn't going to go well. It just gets that much harder when you're younger and it's your parents you're talking to.
    But the bigger question is WHY do you need to tell your parents? It's not like the *B thing where you have to hide a whole bunch of stuff, so there's really no reason to tell them. I don't really care what my parents think about stuff like the games I play, and I don't really see this as different.

Furry is a hobby nothing more, nothing wrong with telling people. But some people see Anthropomorphism as a taboo. Some parents might not like the idea of their son/daughter dressing up in a giant animal costume and running around. For me, my parents had seen the CSI episode with furries, so there is the misconception of people thinking furries are sexual deviants.

And to be honest it is not a normal hobby. So telling someone when they ask what you do in your spare time, could lead to people keeping it hidden and thinking it is something more than it is. For me the most difficult thing to explain was that I can interact better with people inside of suit, rather than out.

It is not necessary to tell your parents, but since they are your parents, eventually they are going to wonder what you are doing, as all parents do.

My case is a bit different, among other reasons, my stash was found four times (at least to my knowledge, maybe more) so I wanted to set the record straight, as I had bedwetting issues up until around 12 or so, and prior to that daytime incontinence issues on ocassion, so I wanted to set the record straight that it wasn't a recurring problem medically, and it was affecting my depression, worrying about how they have found out, what they might be thinking, etc. so I just said fuck it, they just blew it over when they found my stash, so why not just tell them I'm a tb/furry, get it out into the open, etc. That's my reason, it wasn't so much a need, but rather a desire to try and clarify, and confirm it wasn't a medical problem or the like, as well as just getting it off my chest.

I get what you are saying. But a lot of the people that are misinformed think furrydom are into sex while wearing a fursuit. My friend is convinced that all Furrys everywhere are just sex crazed people who fuck each other in fur suits.

Yeah so misinformation can make it much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by teslacoil4148 View Post
    My case is a bit different, among other reasons, my stash was found four times (at least to my knowledge, maybe more) so I wanted to set the record straight, as I had bedwetting issues up until around 12 or so, and prior to that daytime incontinence issues on ocassion, so I wanted to set the record straight that it wasn't a recurring problem medically, and it was affecting my depression, worrying about how they have found out, what they might be thinking, etc. so I just said fuck it, they just blew it over when they found my stash, so why not just tell them I'm a tb/furry, get it out into the open, etc. That's my reason, it wasn't so much a need, but rather a desire to try and clarify, and confirm it wasn't a medical problem or the like, as well as just getting it off my chest.
    This is about the "fur" part of babyfur, not the *B part. There's no real "stash" for a fur. Nothing that would be difficult to hide, anyway. The only thing I can really think of for someone still living at home is art/badges they had sent, but that's easy to hide. If you have a fursuit and you need to hide it from family, maybe you should invest that money in moving out, and not some hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyNekoGirl View Post
    I get what you are saying. But a lot of the people that are misinformed think furrydom are into sex while wearing a fursuit. My friend is convinced that all Furrys everywhere are just sex crazed people who fuck each other in fur suits.

Yeah so misinformation can make it much more difficult.
    But why would your parents need to know in the first place? How would they even "find out"? That's the whole point. Yes, there is a lot of misinformation about furries out there so just DON'T tell your parents. Unless your parents are actively trying to monitor your activity, just don't tell anyone and don't openly browse when they're looking at the screen. It's really not hard to hide.