Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So yeah...Ubuntu...

Default So yeah...Ubuntu...

Entirely for the sake of it, I decided to install Ubuntu 12.04 on my computer. So far, I like, but I really don't know much that I can do with it xD.

What kind of things can you do with this that are more or less unique to Ubuntu? Or at least, not on Windows?

Not a whole lot that I discovered in my whole time of using it, except that it's free and it ran lighter than Windows 7, so I had it on my netbook before I got rid of that. Comes with some nice bundled programs, too, which helps.

JollyRoger

Well one thing would be scripting inside the terminal. Ssh connections are not unique to linux but there are integrated tools that make it easy. SShfs, dig, whois built into terminal. Did I mention the terminal itself can interpret Perl,Bash,Python, and other languages as well? Various other things such as complete control of your user interface, you have a large selection of window managers to choose from (XFCE,KDE,Gnome,Unity). Full access to logs not available with a windows install etc etc. It really depends on what you need from a OS. Oh, and you don't have to worry as much about malware/viruses.

If you want to "get your hands dirty" and see how Linux works, you might want to have a look at Arch Linux. If I remember rightly, the Ubuntu installation is almost completely automated. With Arch, you have to read the wiki and follow the steps to get your PC set up exactly how you like it... So you will be guided through what needs to be configured, and how to do it, etc. It takes a while longer to get it all installed, but you learn so much on the way, and at the end of it you know exactly what's installed, how it's configured, and you have a really fast system because you will only install the packages you need, unlike Ubuntu which installs a load of junk just in case you might need it.

Ubuntu is designed for people who want an easy life -- a free alternative to Windows that works "out of the box". Arch is designed for control freaks or people who want to learn about Linux. And of course there are plenty of other Linux distributions for people with other priorities and interests.

I'd suggest trying a few out and seeing which ones you prefer. You can always install them as virtual machines using software like VirtualBox if you don't want to make permanent changes to your system or risk screwing up your hard drive by multi-booting...

I would say it is unique to Linux in general that there is an easily accessible and useful shell. Coming from Windows you're probably not used to have system configuration and scripting access available like that. Also the package system and software updates are a nice thing.

Just make yourself a home with useful everyday applications and see where it takes you as you happen to need more.

Wait, 12.04 is out?!

What Windows doesn't have:
    -To be honest, not too much more. Better terminal (like cmd.exe), Windows compatibility layer (Wine) and less malware.
    -I prefer Ubuntu's file manager over Windows'.
    -Easier software updates. (nag screen every week for me...)
    -Most components (except some drivers) are free and open source.
    -Browsers are the centerpiece for most computers anyways. Chrome is the best. Chrome/Chromium is on Linux.

Anyways, Ubuntu is probably the easiest distribution to install and configure.
    -There is a software center app, which is graphical.
    -Most of the software is free and open source (as mentioned before).
    -The interface is very easy to navigate.
    -The plugins for decoding closed media file formats are usually included.
    -Many proprietary drivers are provided.
    -[all modern Linux] Usually compatible with all USB mice/keyboards usb/hdd right when you plug in.

Some minus: not all drivers available, less selection of software.

A plus for all UNIX-like operating systems:
    -Almost nobody writes viruses or malware for these OSes.

Fedora (15) on the other hand has a relatively spartan software browser, GNOME 3 with no filesystems, files, or launchers shown on the "desktop" (must open file manager) and no sudo command (took me forever to find out that the sudo -c 'command' was the analog) and ABSOLUTELY NO non-free software included as well as no office suite included. I'm posting this on Google Chrome running on Fedora.
    Windows (7 only.) works great for general (and gaming) use as well as supporting much more 3rd party proprietary software.
    OS X has a beautiful GUI, is (very) speedy and contains a lot of software to start off with, though it is only available with a mac.

TL;DR
    Ubuntu < Windows in software and usability.
    Ubuntu = Best Linux OS to start off with.

Hal0ispwnd: ... Simply.. what DO you want to do? Most people on a day-to-day just browse web (like adisc) and read e-mail. If that is the case then you are probably doing what you want to do with it already. If you are looking in to scripting and or programming then there are lots of channels and forums to get you started. If you are new to Linux all together and your not too familiar with it, keep backups of any sensitive data in the event you like to tinker.
    I / We do no know what you would like to do.. but most people I have ever installed Linux for I put it on their computer and they say "now what"? .. To that I always say.. What do you mean? "now what"? it's done.. use it!

@Hal0ispwnd: While Ubuntu is great for people who want to get their feet wet, it's also fantastic for people who do nothing BUT surf the web. There is an elderly lady that I service a computer for; and one day her computer caught a nasty virus that couldn't be recovered from (a rootkit was found). I tried to search for a recovery disk, but soon found she didn't have one; so I took quick action: I connected my laptop to her internet, downloaded Ubuntu, quickly made a USB startup disk, and installed Ubuntu right then and there.

After teaching her how to use it, I only once had to service her computer on a problem that wasn't on account of her ISP not "officially" supporting Linux, and that problem was encountered on my home computer as well, so I already knew how to fix it.

If you're a serious gamer, Linux is a tough sell. For anything else, it really comes down to how much time and energy you're willing to spend to save money. For many, the cost is worth the trouble.

[rant]
    I have, however, lost my love for Ubuntu. Canonical has lost their focus of the desires of the community as a whole and are pushing market penetration very much more aggressively than ever before. While I see trying to increase market penetration as very good, the way their orchestrating this has compromised the original goal of Ubuntu; which was to provide an easy, user-friendly manner of migrating from windows through presenting the OS through a familiar interface. Pushing Unity now has utterly butchered that aim, as it now attempts to move away from the windows "feel" almost completely. Unity's menu structure is difficult to navigate and is still buggy; moreover, with the integration with the software center, knowing which applications you have installed is now difficult as the menus will not only show you only some applications you HAVE installed, but will also present you with some applications you CAN install, as well as applications you can BUY. This irritates me to no end; if I want an application installed, I will damn well look for it myself in the software center or synaptic. This menu problem also makes it difficult to access even frequently accessed items, like the terminal. I know many of you might not use the terminal, but I like using it a lot; to the point where I cannot overstate it's usefulness. I want to be able to access those items more easily!

[/rant]

I ran Ubuntu as a server platform for a few years. Then I decided that I could use the MacMini to acheive the same result using far less power by using the machine that I watched all the movies *from* as the file server. I've now powered off the Pentium 4 box and the Dual Xeon server box because I can't justify running two machines to accomplish what one pint sized box can do.

I, personally, beleive that Linux has a niche in the server market, but not in the home desktop market. but that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Entity View Post
    [rant]
    I have, however, lost my love for Ubuntu. Canonical has lost their focus of the desires of the community as a whole and are pushing market penetration very much more aggressively than ever before. While I see trying to increase market penetration as very good, the way their orchestrating this has compromised the original goal of Ubuntu; which was to provide an easy, user-friendly manner of migrating from windows through presenting the OS through a familiar interface. Pushing Unity now has utterly butchered that aim, as it now attempts to move away from the windows "feel" almost completely. Unity's menu structure is difficult to navigate and is still buggy; moreover, with the integration with the software center, knowing which applications you have installed is now difficult as the menus will not only show you only some applications you HAVE installed, but will also present you with some applications you CAN install, as well as applications you can BUY. This irritates me to no end; if I want an application installed, I will damn well look for it myself in the software center or synaptic. This menu problem also makes it difficult to access even frequently accessed items, like the terminal. I know many of you might not use the terminal, but I like using it a lot; to the point where I cannot overstate it's usefulness. I want to be able to access those items more easily!

[/rant]
    Hello fellow long-time Ubuntu user!! lol I don't get their purpose any more either... Makes me sad

@Hal0ispwnd: You wanna make people like me and Entity here boil our blood.. whisper "Unity"