Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a trend of more kids having delayed potty training in the UK and elsewhere? (please give your comments)

Question Is there a trend of more kids having delayed potty training in the UK and elsewhere? (please give your comments)

My friend shared an article with me today, and I thought I'd make a posting about it if it wasn't already on the site (if it is, ADMINS: feel free to delete this posting).

According to "The Daily Mail", more parents are busy and delaying potty training longer now then ever before. This is creating more sales of diapers and pullups, and challenges for teachers at grade schools. Apparently the kids and the families themselves don't seem too worried about it. IDK.
    I don't know if this article is just something that is sensationalizing a rare instance, or if it is really indicating an emerging trend where lots of kids are wearing pullups and nappies (diapers) longer and longer. Who knows. Whats your thoughts on this article or "trend"? ...

Allegidly, in the UK, more and more kids are wearing pullups and drinites 24/7, including to school at ages 5, 6, and even 7.

They are blaming many trends

excerpt from the news article: -------

-------click link to read more-------

Absolutely potty! How children are still wearing nappies to SCHOOL - with dire risks to their health | Mail Online

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/sitelogos/logo_mol.gif

Wow, as much as I would have loved to wear nappies to school that's a real problem, parents shouldn't be letting that sort of thing happen at all. Also the attitude of nurseries (I'm assuming that means day care) is really bad, if your paying them to take care of your child then they shouldn't be so lazy they just put them straight into a nappy if they have an accident.
    Last edited by StikkyPaws; 30-Jan-2012 at 21:39. Reason: Auto correct makes people look bad...

Supersam1223

Quote Originally Posted by MrTall View Post
    I'm assuming that means day care
    You assume correctly!

P.S. I couldn't resist correcting your spelling of assuming! :P

This was back in 2008. Either this has gotten worse where children are now 8 or 9 and wearing nappies, or it has gotten better where children are potty trained by 3. The nappy companies will brain wash people. Children now wear nappies that are too comfortable and hate underwear. Also like it says above that moisture is taken away from the skin. This was the case in traditional nappies but now pull ups have the same effect now so it's harder to train kids.

There was an article in the Daily Telegraph back in August 2009 about this very same thing. If you google it is quite an interesting read.

funseeker

Yesterday as I was shopping in Costco Warehouse parents of a kid who looked 8 or 9 years old was getting Pull-ups in size 7. The other kid in the basket cart was getting size 5 Huggies. This family was stocking up and saving lots on their quanity purchase

FurryKid

8 or 9 years old? That a little too old to get potty trained.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryKid View Post
    8 or 9 years old? That a little too old to get potty trained.
    If you're talking about my quote then I meant the child isn't getting trained at all because of parents.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    Yesterday as I was shopping in Costco Warehouse parents of a kid who looked 8 or 9 years old was getting Pull-ups in size 7. The other kid in the basket cart was getting size 5 Huggies. This family was stocking up and saving lots on their quanity purchase
    So you asked them and are sure this is the reason, and it's not that the kid is actually incontinent, in some form?

You should be careful about making hasty judgements when you don't know the whole situation.

As for here, I know that kids are required to be toilet trained in order to get into school, unless they can provide a medical reason they are unable to. I have a feeling that if they got to school-aged here without being toilet trained, CAS would be on them for neglect if they couldn't provide a medical reason.

I guess if the kid was 7 or 8 the parents could at least communicate with their kid an express the important of potty training, for an upside. Still unacceptable though to not potty train your kids out of laziness.