Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curse this sewing machine!!!!

Default Curse this sewing machine!!!!

So,
    I have a sewing machine that the timing went out on.
    So it took me a while, but I figured out how to fix the timing on it, well I think I have anyway. Before it was going through and the bottom bobbin was not looping with the top one, in other words it was not forming the stitch so nothing was actually being sewn.
    Now, it is going through and making the stitch, but after 2 or 3 times a stitch has been made, a giant knot occurs below, where the bottom bobbin is.
    So does anyone know if this is still just an issue with the timing? or if its something else I have to worry about?

NOTE: This is an incredibly cheap arse machine, 12 bucks without taxes is what I paid for it, brand new from the store.
    Also I do not have money to buy a new one, or to get this fixed, which would be severally dumb since it would be expensive specially compared to how much I paid for this machine.

Maaaybe thread tension? I have an old '70s Singer machine that is prone to getting a giant knot by the bottom bobbin if the thread tension is set incorrectly for the fabric. I get the same problem with a newer cheap-ish Kenmore machine, but it's a lot more forgiving than my Singer. Check this: Understanding Thread Tension - Threads

Incorrect threading can also be an issue, since if the machine is threaded wrong, the thread tension is going to be way, way off.

Another thing that causes the knot thing for me is simply the area around the bobbin being dirty. I extracted a small handful of fluff (like dryer lint) from the Singer once; it hadn't been cleaned in ages. I find that, with the Kenmore, I need to clean it almost every time I sew or I start having issues with knotting.

The timing may still be off, but I would first double-check to make sure you're threading the machine correctly (bobbin included) and clean it.

Good luck, troubleshooting sewing machines can be a pain, especially if they aren't all that good of a machine to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKittyKat View Post
    So,
    NOTE: This is an incredibly cheap arse machine, 12 bucks without taxes is what I paid for it, brand new from the store.
    Also I do not have money to buy a new one, or to get this fixed, which would be severally dumb since it would be expensive specially compared to how much I paid for this machine.
    i tried the cheapest sewing machine, the first time i bought one, and it was totally useless. even the one i have now (several steps up from the first) is supposed to be only good for quick hemming and minor repairs.
    most of my problems tend to be to do with the thickness of material (i do trainer-pants on it), but i found that turning the machine over by hand (more slowly, in effect) gets me by, until i can 'floor it'.

My wife had a smaller, more basic sewing machine for a while. She started to get really into it, though, so I purchased her a pretty nice one for Christmas. She loves it and is always on it, but every now and then...I hear a curse word fly across the room. ^^

The top of the line models run well over $10,000. They even have installment plans, which I suppose is necessary if you're buying something that is approaching the cost of a car. @_@

First of all I'm going to suggest getting a decent sewing machine. Try thrift stores if you can!

Anyways, I had a kind of problem with mine earlier, and I fixed it relatively quick by playing with the tension.

Problems aside,

I have a tremendous amount of respect for people like you fine folk for continuing to pursue the long-lost art of sewing!

Quote Originally Posted by MilesPrower View Post
    Problems aside,

I have a tremendous amount of respect for people like you fine folk for continuing to pursue the long-lost art of sewing!
    why, thank you, very much
    i sew by hand, too (we had to do it at school, not sure if it's still done, nowadays).

i wouldn't mind trying a knitting-machine, if i can get one cheap enough (probably have to root in a skip or two).

try cleaning the bobbin and other parts of any fluff and material thats accumulated in them. a new needle may be needed if it keeps jamming and after a timing adjustment, look for any burrs on the end to see if it needs to be replaced. as mentioned above the tension may be off or you may be attempting to sew through too many layers for a cheap machine try something thinner to see if that works. you may also want to rewind the bobbin if none of the above helps as you may get knots if the thread is not wound proper on the bobbin.

I have a small sewing machine, and I cannot for the life of me get it to work.. The bobbin just won't fit in it right! >:| So I try sewing by hand as much as possible, even though it takes forever. >~<

I have had to trouble shoot my wife's machine many times.
    1 get a good machine. If you are into sewing a lot the best you can afford. Machines here in the states can run between $125 to $2000. Our current machine was $500 but along with this came three hours of instruction.
    2 make sure it is threaded correctly and tension will need to be adjusted for the thickness of the material you are sewing
    3 keep it clean
    4 the most important thing don't buy cheep thread. I learned this from a lady who sold machines. The cheeper threads have a coating that will gum up the machine.
    5 sharp needles are a must and if you are sewing heavy material change them often. We are into making large hand puppets and sew through 2 to three layers of heavy felt.