Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I smoked weed for the first time and feel bad about it:(

Default I smoked weed for the first time and feel bad about it:(

I'm NOT bragging or advocating the use of marijuana by any means so don't even start! Anyway, I have been going through depression lately due to a number of things including my career troubles (I'm a professional musician/entertainer), loneliness and a feeling of helplessness. I feel helpless because being legally blind I can't go where I want to when I want to and do what I want to. I feel lonely because I don't have a girlfriend because I don't get out much unless I'm gigging and offstage I'm kinda shy and while the band is sounding AMAZING and is getting more gigs lately (1-4 a week), it's just stressful for me dealing with asshole club owners and all these different personalities in the band and keeping everything together. Also, being legally blind (which btw means i CAN see but not enough to drive or get around in places I'm not familiar with) means I can't get diapers to satisfy my AB/DL side. Anyway, my dad, who is the band's rhythm guitarist and helps me get around ect. has noticed I've been suffering from depression and has offered my some of the anti-depressant he takes and while they kind of work for, I just don't like the feeling I get from them. They kind of make me jittery and that makes it hard for me to sleep (did I mention I'm already a night-owl/insomniac that has sleep paralysis.) People notice I'm a bit more relaxed and open-up/become friendly when I've been drinking but while that helps me at the moment, it doesn't help me sleep very well. ANYWAY (and sorry to ramble), everyone but me smokes pot in the band and the band's crew, and I've turned it down for years because I was never interested, but a couple of nights ago when one of my guitarists was smoking a joint and I asked to try it. It made me feel so much better! But my dad (who smokes) made me feel so bad about it that now I feel so guilty! Do you guys think it's a bad thing. It's the only thing I've found that works.

It's completely up to you as to whether it's a bad thing or not. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

I've never touched the stuff personally and probably never will. That's just me though, I don't like anything that makes me feel I'm not in control.

As for an anti-depressant I've found St John's Wort works well. It's a herbal anti-depressant without any side effects.

Up to you to decide what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gnd567 View Post
    Anyway, my dad, who is the band's rhythm guitarist and helps me get around ect. has noticed I've been suffering from depression and has offered my some of the anti-depressant he takes and while they kind of work for, I just don't like the feeling I get from them. They kind of make me jittery and that makes it hard for me to sleep (did I mention I'm already a night-owl/insomniac that has sleep paralysis.)
    In a separate note, this is also a serious issue, and not just from the wag-my-finger-naughty-naughty standpoint. Antidepressants should only be taken under a doctor's supervision since they have a huge range of negative side effects (some people end up cutting and killing themselves). Moreover, they have a cumulative effect. To benefit from anti-depressants, you need to take them regularly for an extended period of time. You typically don't see beneficial effects until you've taken them regularly for 4-6 weeks. Unless your father gave you enough to take a full dose every day for a month and a half, and then you proceeded to take them for a month and a half, you're going to have all side effects and nothing else. Moreover, you'll cut into your father's dosage, which may reduce beneficial effects for him.

So you feel bad because your dad? Seems like a silly reason to me. If you enjoyed it then why should you feel bad.

Sent from my xperia play.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    In a separate note, this is also a serious issue, and not just from the wag-my-finger-naughty-naughty standpoint. Antidepressants should only be taken under a doctor's supervision since they have a huge range of negative side effects (some people end up cutting and killing themselves). Moreover, they have a cumulative effect. To benefit from anti-depressants, you need to take them regularly for an extended period of time. You typically don't see beneficial effects until you've taken them regularly for 4-6 weeks. Unless your father gave you enough to take a full dose every day for a month and a half, and then you proceeded to take them for a month and a half, you're going to have all side effects and nothing else. Moreover, you'll cut into your father's dosage, which may reduce beneficial effects for him.
    I need to add my huge agreement to this one NightFox. My spouse is an ER Nurse and it seems every other shift she is dealing with the issues you mention and often to the point were accidental overdose has occurred. Another thing to consider is that these medications alter the chemistry in an individual person. Without careful monitoring gnd567 could trigger adverse chemical reactions. For example, wellbutrin can trigger seizures even in non-epileptic patients. I would strongly suggest that if he feels he needs an antidepressant, seek out at least a free clinic to advise him on what to do.

Lightbulb

Most people who use cannabis do so without it becoming a serious problem. However, I've noticed that all the people who do end up with addiction/lifestyle problems fell into that trap because they were using the drug to help them cope with life. Instead of using marijuana for social "fun" with their mates, they were using it by themselves to "feel better" or to "escape reality" -- as a kind of self-medication.

If you are using weed to cope with depression, then you are setting yourself up for a fall. Regular cannabis use can cause or exacerbate depression. It's a Catch-22. At first you might think it's helping your symptoms, as you can escape to the relaxing private world in your own head. If you're not careful, you can wake up ten years later and realise that everyone else has moved on, and you're living a pointless existence where you don't care about reality at all. You will have retreated into an isolated world where the private comfort inside your own head is all you have left.

I am probably not explaining this clearly as my brain has become fried over the years. I got depressed about 17 years ago and started using cannabis every day. I know it's not heroin or crack and things could be far worse, but marijuana has ruined my life. I have one or two friends who have also ruined their lives with it, and I have many more friends who smoke it regularly (and have used much harder drugs), yet have remained in control of their lives.

No one can tell you what to do, and I can't predict whether using marijuana will become problematic for you. But it is not the ideal medication to resolve depression. Some people think it helps because it dulls the mind and when you're stoned you forget your problems... but cannabis will never make your problems go away. Smoking cannabis is like hitting the "snooze" button on your radio alarm clock. Sooner or later the alarm will go off and you will have to face reality (along with all the problems you've been storing up)... Either that or just dose up again, and spend the rest of your life in the dream-like world inside your own head. It's what I've done. The longer you spend doing it, the more unaddressed problems you have to face when the alarm goes off. It becomes harder and harder to face up to what you have done. Every day is a day of regret, and after a point it becomes too much to accept.

I spend my life intoxicated and living a lie because I am too ashamed to admit to myself what I have done. It's a vicious circle. I have forgotten how to live. And I haven't just affected myself. Both my parents died watching me gradually throw my life away. I can never redeem myself in their eyes. I can never take back the time I have lost. I can never forgive myself for not living up to even 10% of my potential. I can never repair the damage to my education and career, and I will probably never have a normal romantic relationship. I can remember how proud my parents were of me. They worked hard to give me every opportunity to succeed. They loved me and dedicated their lives to raising their kids. And then I made them watch as I slowly destroyed myself.

Don't let anyone tell you that you are immoral for smoking weed or that it will turn you into a drug addict. But, equally, don't let them tell you that cannabis is non-addictive and can never cause any problems. Both are lies.

If depression is a problem for you then please don't be as stupid as I was. The sooner you get it treated, the easier it is to treat. If you want to experiment with drugs, do so with a sound mind. Even with a sound mind, there are no guarantees and you can end up destroying your life before you've even realised it. But at least give yourself a fighting chance...

The same goes for the ad-hoc use of antidepressants. They are powerful drugs (like slow-release ecstasy if you ask me) and are intended to be taken regularly to improve mood. It usually takes a few weeks for the drugs to start working properly, and during that time suicide risk can be elevated. If you aren't taking a regular prescribed dose, your serotonin levels will be bouncing up and down. This may provide temporary relief, but the instability may mean that when it wears off, you crash back down again. I'm not a doctor so that ain't medical advice. But if you have any kind of mental distress, you are playing with fire by taking unprescribed drugs.

I'm sorry to have waffled on for so long. I feel like an old fart lecturing someone who is clearly a lot smarter than I was. Once upon a time I could write clearly and succinctly without getting confused.

You are young. Please don't throw your life away.

I have smoked pot before. I didn't like it... It smells horrible for one. Two, I didn't even like the effects. It only makes me relaxed and I'm already somewhat eased by my antidepressant, so it's wothless to me. However, I know some people who enjoy the effects. Don't use a drug to make you happy though. It's hypocritical for me to say this because I'm on a perscribed drug to help with my anxiety disorder... but I suggest you let your passion of performing end your feeling of hopelessness. I find that my passion of painting and creating artwork always eases my state of mind.

In the last week, I was actually considering using LSD. I had a potential seller and I really wanted to tap into hallucinations. I wanted to escape reality for some time. But then I realized that instead of entering a fantasy world, I should just be happy with what I have in reality. Drugs can get in the way of your passions and accomplishments.

When posting here, please keep in mind the rules prohibit promoting illegal activities.

Thanks for all the answers guys! I feel a lot better about it now. I tried it mainly to see what the big deal was and I think I was kinda amazed I tried it myself. But I guess it's not such a big deal. If anything it made me a bit more "social" and for me that's not a bad thing. Oh and to HogansHeroes- I am in no way trying to promote it or anything but I really do appreciate your concern and btw love the avatar.

Dude...aspirin has killed more people than weed has. The death toll of weed, I might add, is at a staggering amount, and it has every reason to be illegal. Do you know what it is?

The only reason it's illegal is because it's the biggest cash crop in America, and it's so easy to grow that the government could never get a hold of regulating it, thus they couldn't tax it. And they don't want to miss out on all the fun, right?

Of course, morally, you could choose to keep your body as pure as possible, and that is where the heart of the controversy of smoking weed lies. The worst thing you could do is inhale too much plant matter or something.

BUT, just because it's harmless doesn't mean you should go out and get a stash of your own and smoke every day.