Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult diapers seem like the left in the past vs baby diapers, who advanced

Default Adult diapers seem like the left in the past vs baby diapers, who advanced

Okay is it just me by looking at classic Pampers or Huggies during like the early 80s, 90s adult diapers look still the same as them with no waistband and barely any features. However, if you look at a baby diaper the designs now they have waistbands, Lee guards, and so on. The list goes on. Why do they put more work into a baby diaper in giving it all the special features? What an adult who wears they do not need just the same amount of protection too. I hate how I wear adult diapers and there is no waistband to hug me. The only one ever had that was the Depend brand

I think the fact of the matter is that the necessary specifications of an adult nappy and a baby one are totally different - the amount of liquid a baby nappy needs to hold is easily held by a single tape on either side and it's unlikely to cause the nappy to sag.

Some adult nappys do have waistbands and leg guards though - Tena Slip Maxi for one.

Ok cool I never saw them most see waistband none.

crazykittensmile

I think that the reason that more effort is put into baby diapers compared to adult diapers is mainly because there is more money to be made on baby diapers. The number of infants wearing diapers exceeds the number of adults wearing diapers. It's estimated that over 27 billion disposable diapers are used each year in the US alone (Source) and I imagine adult diaper use makes up only a mere fraction of this figure. The majority of companies making diapers (both for adults and infants) are not really doing it because they care about diaper-wearers, but because they are looking to make a profit.

A baby is just about the most precious thing in most parents eyes, and most parents want the best for their offspring. As such parents want to buy products for their babies which they believe to be the best, and they don't mind paying extra in order to give that quality to their babies. I know a number of parents who would only ever buy Pampers and Huggies for their babies, despite the fact that they would be financially better off if they switched to a cheaper brand. Nappies are worn pretty much 24/7 by babies and are worn against the most sensitive skin which is prone to be irritated when the diaper is used for it's purpose, and most parents will pay extra for a nappy they believe will reduce the likelihood of their baby feeling wet or having their skin irritated. Parents also want their babies to be comfortable, and so will pay extra for a nappy which markets itself as being good for crawling babies, or walking babies, or overnight use etc.

On the other hand, the majority of people wearing adult nappies do not have doting parents who want to pay a premium for their diapers; a significant number of adult nappies are worn by elderly or disabled people in residential care homes or medical settings where the main requirement is that a nappy be cheap. Many people wearing adult nappies will not be very active in their normal day-to-day activities, and so features such as waistbands and leg-guards, which are included in baby nappies for active crawling/toddling babies, are not included. These would drive up the cost of a single nappy, and the company adding these additional features would likely lose out to a cheaper competitor. Another factor is that adult diaper-wearers are often concerned with discretion; they do not want a big, bulky diaper. To simply size-up infant diapers would not work, because these would be far too thick for most adult wearers to discreetly used.

Unfortunately this is disappointing for adult-diaper wearers who are active and thus would benefit from features such as leg-guards and waistbands. However, most 'premium' adult diaper brands, such as Tena and Abena, do have waistbands at the back and leg-guards. Moreover, if you are willing to pay extra then brands designed especially for ABs and DLs, such as Bambino, usually offer both front and back waistbands and standing leg-guards.Unfortunately though this does mean paying extra and looking outside the generic adult diapers, which tend to be of lesser quality.

In short: the target audience is different between adult and baby diapers. For baby diapers the target audience are parents, who are happy to pay extra for their darling offspring. For adult diapers the target audiences are care-givers and medical/residential settings, who need to keep their costs down wherever possible.

I agree with you. Baby diapers are very much superior to adult diapers. I think it comes down to money. Let's face it, every baby in the world will need diapers/pull ups for at least the first 3-4 years of life. While adults who wear diapers will wear them much longer, there are way fewer of them that need them. So the diaper makers know that baby diapers is a much bigger market and more competitive and that's where they will spend their research and development money - not on adult diapers.

Warly

ABU have done a pretty good job at creating a good loooking baby diaper for adults!

What babyjess said sums it up very well .As a medic i pull people out of nursing homes all the time and most of them are wearing some kind of protection .Diapers most if not all nursing homes stock are so cheap most of the time its like they dont have anything on at all when they use them.Price is the only thing they think about even to the point of stocking only one size for a whole facility to save money putting an xxl on a 85 pound grandma is totally acceptable in there world. manufacturers cater to health facilitys almost exclusively which is why we're held to few options for quality diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by babylife247 View Post
    Okay is it just me by looking at classic Pampers or Huggies during like the early 80s, 90s adult diapers look still the same as them with no waistband and barely any features. However, if you look at a baby diaper the designs now they have waistbands, Lee guards, and so on. The list goes on. Why do they put more work into a baby diaper in giving it all the special features?
    in short, baby diapers don't have 'special features', they have gimmicks; but adult diapers do have some of the same, sometimes useful, features as baby diapers, such as leak-guards, elasticated waistsAttachment 7419 and stretch tapes or sides.
    the main obstacle to a scaling up, or mimicking, of the baby diaper design (and that's aside from the previously mention issues) is that a linear model of scaling up isn't practical, in costs and comfort.

June

Quote Originally Posted by Warly View Post
    ABU have done a pretty good job at creating a good loooking baby diaper for adults!
    Design-wise, maybe. But they still lack leak guards and waistbands.

Abena M4s have waistbands and leak guards.

Yeah I like how adult diapers still have the plastic but have been disappointed that the stretchy sides and leak guards are not common in adult diapers. And adult pullups are awful.