Thread: 24/7 in cloth

Default 24/7 in cloth

I was just wondering, has anyone out there gone 24/7 with cloth.
    I see a lot of 24/7 posts about disposables but i imagine cloth would be much harder. But is it worth it?

On any bout of 24/7 wear that is long at all they would be cheaper, but of course they must be washed. Also cloth is initially about 3 times as thick for the same absorbancy compared to disposable. Can you handle that long term? Locking plastic pants could help the commitment lol. Id go for it if you have the bank and desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonastick View Post
    On any bout of 24/7 wear that is long at all they would be cheaper, but of course they must be washed. Also cloth is initially about 3 times as thick for the same absorbancy compared to disposable. Can you handle that long term? Locking plastic pants could help the commitment lol. Id go for it if you have the bank and desire.
    IN my experience, the thickness differential is nowhere near what you describe here. My experience has been that it takes about 25-33 percent additional thickness compared to an Abena X-Plus to get similar absorbency with cloth.

I haven't done 24/7 in cloth, so take my comments for what you feel they're worth. I have worn cloth in public, to friends' houses, shopping, and to work at the world headquarters of a Fortune 500 company. The primary concern is, as mentioned above, thickness. But, as long as you're willing to change, you don't need a super ton of bulk. For changing in public, keep several plastic bags in your diaper bag, drop the wet diapers in one or two of them, then tie the bags off tightly to keep any aromas contained.

Also keep a changing mat in your bag. You can lay it out on the floor of a handicap stall and change yourself with no real issue, at least from my experience.

Like I said, when I did cloth in public, it was no real big deal. Admittedly, I never changed a messy in public (cloth or disposable), but it seems if you contain it in a plastic bag, then contain that in another plastic bag, you should have little or no issue. I never had anyone make any snide comments or give me any dirty looks, and I never had any issues with leaking or anything. If anything, it was a bit easier in cloth since I could actually tell how wet I was and change in time.

I'd say give it a try and see how it goes.

I wore cloth 24/7/365 for many years prior to the advent of reliable disposables. I agree with xbabyx's comments. However, if you can afford the cost, top-of-the-line disposables are a lot less hassle. Lugging around wet cloth diapers and bringing them home to launder ia an especially yucky hassle.