Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead End

Default Dead End

25 next month, still living with the folks, I work Monday - Friday and the free time (isn't much) is spent just sitting here until finally I just go to sleep. It's getting to me lately, like i'm just stagnating, wasting my youth. I'd get out on weekends but the thought of going out alone to meet people just sounds wierd, mates from school are long gone, getting on with their own things.

Anyone else get like this? I really need a light at the end of the tunnel right now XD

Quote Originally Posted by Infallible View Post
    25 next month, still living with the folks, I work Monday - Friday and the free time (isn't much) is spent just sitting here until finally I just go to sleep. It's getting to me lately, like i'm just stagnating, wasting my youth. I'd get out on weekends but the thought of going out alone to meet people just sounds wierd, mates from school are long gone, getting on with their own things.

Anyone else get like this? I really need a light at the end of the tunnel right now XD
    When I first moved abroad I didn't know anyone at all, so I can sympathise with you. What about going out with some people from work ? That's how I made most of my friends when i first moved. I agree it's hard to go out on your own. What you need to do is get yourself involved with a new circle of friends. How about joining a sports club, or something. Even making one or two friends can open up whole new circles of friends. Otherwise what about looking up some old friends that you may have lost contact with ?

Don't worry or stress about it, I'm sure the situation you are in will resolve itself. Sometimes you just meet people and make friends when you aren't expecting it, and in unexpected ways. Hope I'm not sounding like a fortune cookie...

Dude I can sympathise with how you feel, Admittadly I'm four years your junior, but after a year out of school I too felt stuck in a rut. so I have a few suggestions.
    firstly, if you don't work evenings, then try joining a sports club. I play badminton on mondays and fridays in a local sports hall and during my time of sadness it helped a lot as the exercise was invigorating and cheered me up when sad. If that is not your thing, try volunteering in the evening in old people's homes or youth groups. It may well give you a sense of well being, acheivement and as a plus will certainly look excellent on your CV. Thirdly, try joining a pottery group or debating group or film group or whatever's your thing. You'll meet new peopel and make new friends. If you put a bit of money aside you could go travelling also. I know it's cliche but the world is your oyster, I wish you well mate. take care

I just turned 24 in november.

Still live at home
    Practicably dropped out of high school with only a senior project standing in my way of graduating (had all the credits, finished the exit exam.)
    Never held a job and very rarely get any odd jobs.

So, I can identify with you feeling stuck, but were not permanently stuck in these situations either. I can go out and get my GED then get in college, apply for the military or anything else I wish to do. That doesn't mean I'll be successful 100% of the time and to expect that would be foolish.

My older brother has a BA and a AA and right now he's working in a pizzeria. The same sort of job he had when he was 16 in high school. Even the best laid plans might not work out, but my older brother keeps trying to land job's he wants and practically never gives up. Giving up is the only form of failure in life.

Would you like to come to the United States For a visit. I know the college I work at helps potential students come for tours. Maybe you could come here for school for a few years and get new perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    Would you like to come to the United States For a visit. I know the college I work at helps potential students come for tours. Maybe you could come here for school for a few years and get new perspective.
    Doing that takes a lot of money just for traveling, a lot of time to set it up, then on top of that major cultural shock and hardly knowing anyone. Likely just better to do it in his home country/state.

Cherub

I know what you mean when you say you feel like things are getting stagnant. I've had those feelings strong twice in my life.
    early on in my life, I had a fire lit under me, so to speak. My father kicked me out of his house when I was just months from turning 18. I hadn't finished high school yet either. So, being out on my own, I quickly saw the value of a high school diploma. I had a friend who took me under his wing and gave me a place to stay while I finished school. I lived there for six years, then felt I needed something more.

I later moved in with my sister and bro-in-law. I lived there for six years too. While I lived at my sister's house, I began to feel the desire to have my own place. So I bought ten 30 gallon totes. I made a list of everything I would need to fully furnish my own place. Then, with each pay check I would buy 1 item from that list and put it in a storage tote. Six years later all ten totes were full and I was ready to go get my own place.

I lived in my own apartment for another 6 years before the feelings of needing something more out of life began to stir again. I eventually met a girl and ended up marrying her. I am now living 550 miles from where it all started and am married and a home owner with a decent job.

I guess I wanted to lay out my life's journey (as short as it is, lol) so that you can see how to plan, and just how long those plans can take to come to fruition. For me, each step of my life's journey took six YEARS at a time. So don't be so hard on yourself. These thing DO take time. Persistence and patience are the keys! (God,,I sound so friggin' old saying that, LOL)

Thanks to everyone that replied, Definately cheered me up this arfternoon =)

I'm going to have a look at some of the local clubs that are around and see how I go, never really done anything like it before so it's pretty exciting.

As for travelling it's something I'd love to do, been putting away bits of pay each week but it's more of a long term goal at this stage.

Thanks again everyone.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dlCherub View Post
    I know what you mean when you say you feel like things are getting stagnant. I've had those feelings strong twice in my life.
    early on in my life, I had a fire lit under me, so to speak. My father kicked me out of his house when I was just months from turning 18. I hadn't finished high school yet either. So, being out on my own, I quickly saw the value of a high school diploma. I had a friend who took me under his wing and gave me a place to stay while I finished school. I lived there for six years, then felt I needed something more.

I later moved in with my sister and bro-in-law. I lived there for six years too. While I lived at my sister's house, I began to feel the desire to have my own place. So I bought ten 30 gallon totes. I made a list of everything I would need to fully furnish my own place. Then, with each pay check I would buy 1 item from that list and put it in a storage tote. Six years later all ten totes were full and I was ready to go get my own place.

I lived in my own apartment for another 6 years before the feelings of needing something more out of life began to stir again. I eventually met a girl and ended up marrying her. I am now living 550 miles from where it all started and am married and a home owner with a decent job.

I guess I wanted to lay out my life's journey (as short as it is, lol) so that you can see how to plan, and just how long those plans can take to come to fruition. For me, each step of my life's journey took six YEARS at a time. So don't be so hard on yourself. These thing DO take time. Persistence and patience are the keys! (God,,I sound so friggin' old saying that, LOL)
    Great post, planning definately sounds better than stagnating XD

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Giving up is the only form of failure in life.
    Agreed

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    Dude I can sympathise with how you feel, Admittadly I'm four years your junior, but after a year out of school I too felt stuck in a rut. so I have a few suggestions.
    firstly, if you don't work evenings, then try joining a sports club. I play badminton on mondays and fridays in a local sports hall and during my time of sadness it helped a lot as the exercise was invigorating and cheered me up when sad. If that is not your thing, try volunteering in the evening in old people's homes or youth groups. It may well give you a sense of well being, acheivement and as a plus will certainly look excellent on your CV. Thirdly, try joining a pottery group or debating group or film group or whatever's your thing. You'll meet new peopel and make new friends. If you put a bit of money aside you could go travelling also. I know it's cliche but the world is your oyster, I wish you well mate. take care
    Actually thinking of the local Squash club, it'd be good to get some excersise, thanks for the well wishing =)

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coodie View Post
    Hope I'm not sounding like a fortune cookie...
    haha not at all, but there's nothing wrong with a good fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Doing that takes a lot of money just for traveling, a lot of time to set it up, then on top of that major cultural shock and hardly knowing anyone. Likely just better to do it in his home country/state.
    Sorry, I was trying to offer that to the OP, I should have quoted him. Not that you would not be welcome of course, but the college has a special program for foreign nationals who want to be educated in the USA and the OP is from Australia .

Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    Sorry, I was trying to offer that to the OP, I should have quoted him. Not that you would not be welcome of course, but the college has a special program for foreign nationals who want to be educated in the USA and the OP is from Australia .
    I knew you were talking about the OP/TC. I was just saying I don't think something like that is a good idea without tons of research and perpetration. Anyways, i'm in Central California. Why would I need to go to Maine? Hell, UOP is in my city and Standford is only less then 100 miles away.

Not that their cheap by ANY means. I heard it cost like 20,000 per year just for the dorms at UOP.