Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We won against SOPA and PIPA, but now we have a new battle

Default We won against SOPA and PIPA, but now we have a new battle

It's called the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement or ACTA the bill is explained quite well in this video: What Is ACTA ? - YouTube

And it will affect everyone that is in a country that signed ACTA, such as the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea (and most likely European Union is gonna sign it too and/or create their own version of the bill so YES, it will affect those of you over there too)

This bill scares me, because with how broad this bill is. You could be put in jail just for borrowing a movie/game to someone, or copying a MP3 file and sending it to another person. ISPs will also have to police everything that goes through their service, and if you are caught, you could put thrown in prison, given a heavy fine, and possibly being disconnected from the internet.

Help fight this bill!

Good idea bringing this to adisc. I spent a many hour protesting on reddit and sending/calling my local representatives. I'm just plain tired now.

i notice that some of the file sharing sites are no longer allowing file sharing
    irksome, for me, because i want to see season 6 of Dexter, which i'll now probably never get to see, even though i will have ultimately paid for it via advertising revenues (yes, i do buy coffee and cornflakes).

anyways, i've ratified it within myself that it's only media junk and not really worth anything......so, i'll just go without. all part of the financial problem, really, in that the media companies (and it's not confined to them) automatically assume that people are going to buy their products; well, not me: i can live just fine without them.
    as a wise man once said, "sitting at home watching t.v.; turned it off it's no good to me. why don't you, why don't you just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead?"
    ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by DoenHetLicht View Post
    ...You could be put in jail just for borrowing a movie/game to someone...
    Greeaaaaatttttttt... So no more borrowing my two favorite things

But wait, how are they supposed to keep a tab on that? It's not like people who borrow games go around boasting "I just borrowed my friend's game!"

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPandora View Post

But wait, how are they supposed to keep a tab on that? It's not like people who borrow games go around boasting "I just borrowed my friend's game!"
    Another thing about this ACTA bullshit is that they get increased surveilance rights. -.-

THIS IS NOT FREEDOM! THIS IS NOT DEMOCRACY! THIS IS NOT THE WAY THINGS SHOULD BE!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal0ispwnd View Post
    THIS IS NOT FREEDOM! THIS IS NOT DEMOCRACY! THIS IS NOT THE WAY THINGS SHOULD BE!
    You're right. Our founding fathers would be ashamed of this country if they could see what it's come to. *Sigh* This country wasn't originally two political parties, just one. Why can't we go back to that? Oh wait, I forgot; the government is too busy bickering with each other and have their heads in each other's asses.

Quote Originally Posted by DoenHetLicht View Post
    It's called the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement or ACTA the bill is explained quite well in this video: What Is ACTA ? - YouTube

And it will affect everyone that is in a country that signed ACTA, such as the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea (and most likely European Union is gonna sign it too and/or create their own version of the bill so YES, it will affect those of you over there too)

This bill scares me, because with how broad this bill is. You could be put in jail just for borrowing a movie/game to someone, or copying a MP3 file and sending it to another person. ISPs will also have to police everything that goes through their service, and if you are caught, you could put thrown in prison, given a heavy fine, and possibly being disconnected from the internet.

Help fight this bill!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPandora View Post

Well it doesn't seem to say anything about "borrowing" games. If I were to give you the disc, that would be fine. If I were to send you the game online (therefore you and I BOTH have copies of it), then that's not really borrowing.

As for sending an MP3 over a messenger to someone... well yeah, that sort of IS illegal. You're giving him a song free of charge. What's the difference between that and giving the whole album? When you really get down to it, all the copyright complaints revolve around "just sending them a copy online".

I see this both ways. I don't want it to go through because then it's easier to download things I may or may not supposed to be downloading >.> <.<, but it actually seems like fair legislation. If you didn't buy it, then you shouldn't have it. Lending physical copies wouldn't be covered under this, though it's not really "borrowing" something if the lender still has a copy of it, like when you send the file online.

I just wish it wasn't being done all secretive and such, because it feels like something is up.

Feel free to explain to me why this shouldn't be made law. The only arguments I've heard against it are from people who won't be able to download things illegally anymore, which is kind of the point...

Why is that the day we win another more harsh and Fucked up bill is introduced? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    Feel free to explain to me why this shouldn't be made law. The only arguments I've heard against it are from people who won't be able to download things illegally anymore, which is kind of the point...
    well, 'intellectual property' protectionism undermines the principle of paid work (thereby undermining the economy as a whole) by allowing for further pay for no further work. morally, this should then apply to everybody.
    'artists', and the like, have no excuse - if they want to be paid for their performances then they should perform like everybody else has to; that is, to come up with the goods on a daily basis, in person.

Cherub

I may be way off base, but I believe this is all headed to a one world government that will be more of a dictatorship than a global democracy. I will say this and leave it at that; I believe the Illuminati are behind it all