Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My son caught me changing my wet diaper

Default My son caught me changing my wet diaper

When I was changing my wet diaper this morning my son came into the bathroom and saw me. Normally I lock the door, but today I forgot to. Until now he did not know I still wet my bed.

He is eight and just like me, when I was his age, still wets his bed and wears diapers at night. He knows that I used bedwet when I was his age as we have talked about it lots. It's one thing to admit to your son that you peed the bed when you were a kid, but a completely different thing to admit that as an adult you still do it.

I was very embarrassed, and so was he. I explained that my bedwetting had returned four years ago and that I now needed to wear a diaper again. He was really cool about it and said all the things that I had said to him, about it not being my fault, and that wearing a diaper was better than a wet bed.

It is all very embarassing, but at least it is out in the open I suppose. I wondering how other Fathers with young children cope with them knowing about their wetting problems?

Hmm....Ok I'm not a father but I am a mother of four and they have all seen my diapers. My daughter caught me changing and yes it was embarrassing but it was a good start to explain about it and let her ask questions about it.

All three of my children know about the incontinence problems I have, they all faced their own bouts of bedwetting, etc. as they grew up. I don't try to hide it from them, it is what it is. They are taught that we sometimes have problems that require things like this, you just go on with life.

The main lesson I try to teach from it is that no matter what happens or how you have to adjust your life, you continue on living, don't let anything stop you.

Well it sounds like you have been a good teacher since he used the same words on you that you taught him. It's like AnalogRTO said, we have problems that require things like this, so we do what we have to in order to live a better life. Just do what you normally do and don't make a big deal out of it and all will be o.k.

So what that you both have padded underwear at night time, lol.

The only thing that I can say is is that your son is really sweet

I do feel sorry for you and that your son found you out wearing a daiper. I have to wear a nappy so I can relate to your problem, but I hope you see the funny side of the situation too. I hope it all works out well for you. You have brought your son up to be as understanding as you are and it is obviously working.

I certainly understand the embarrassment and awkwardness that you must be feeling. However, in the long run, I doubt very much whether it will have any kind of negative impact on your son or on your relationship with him. If fact, the more frank sharing of your mutual problem may turn out to be a good thing.

Being on the other end in a similar situation I can say that I can understand your embarrassment. You're probably right that it's a good thing it's in the open and chances are it would have come up eventually anyway if the bedwetting problem doesn't go away soon. Besides there are probably worst things he could have walked in (I'm sure you'd rather face what you faced instead of having him walk in on a scene from a messed up movie let a lone having him walk in on other things), besides AnalogRTO brings up a good point. If your son wet the bed then chances are everyone around the household would know and it would be whatever, it is what it is. Your son was probably in diapers a few to a little over a few years ago(plus your his dad) so if anything it probably feels like a bigger deal to you than it does to him, so don't sweat it.

Sounds like you're raising a good kid who has a good outlook on things though and I'm glad you survived this little experience.

Quote Originally Posted by checkingoutall View Post
    Well it sounds like you have been a good teacher since he used the same words on you that you taught him. It's like AnalogRTO said, we have problems that require things like this, so we do what we have to in order to live a better life. Just do what you normally do and don't make a big deal out of it and all will be o.k.

So what that you both have padded underwear at night time, lol.
    This is what I thought as well. He's sounds really sweet, and you've clearly done a good job with him, saying the right things. How funny that he said the same to you. Hugs.

I have been in a very similar situation. I have tried very hard to hide my diapers and all my stuff from my two sons (3) and (7) but the older one definitely knows that there is something wrong. At the moment I know he knows that Daddy has something wrong with going to the toilet but doesn't know that I wear diapers at night. They both know that I wear pads in the daytime and thankfully don't say anything.

Anyway, I with you all the best and hope it continues to go well!