Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooray! The internet is saved!

Default Hooray! The internet is saved!

Obama Stops Controversial SOPA Internet Piracy Bill | News One
    Awwww yeah.
    Just thought I should share the good news with everyone.
    Obama has said that he will veto SOPA if it ever successfully comes his way.
    The internet... Is saved!!!!!1!111!one!!1!1111!
    Anyways, what are your opinions on SOPA in the first place?

DRUS

Well, it could get repealed with a 2/3's vote... but that's unlikley. Truthfully, I don't know much about the bill itself, but someone told me (and feel free to correct me here,) that it would force wikipedia to shut down, because it broke laws in the bill. That, I'm glad didn't happen... wikipedia is great, as long as you know its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by DRUS View Post
    Well, it could get repealed with a 2/3's vote... but that's unlikley. Truthfully, I don't know much about the bill itself, but someone told me (and feel free to correct me here,) that it would force wikipedia to shut down, because it broke laws in the bill. That, I'm glad didn't happen... wikipedia is great, as long as you know its limits.
    You might be confusing it with the fact that Wikipedia shut itself down today in protest of the law. But Wikipedia is a domestically hosted (I think?) so it wouldn't have been affected by the law, which attempted to take action against foreign sites infringing on US copyrights on intellectual property.

Personally, I think Obama is just concerned about getting reelected at this point :/ This bill is so unpopular, he's probably hoping it'll make him look even better compared to the Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Personally, I think Obama is just concerned about getting reelected at this point :/ This bill is so unpopular, he's probably hoping it'll make him look even better compared to the Republicans.
    I had a similar thought as well.
    Think about it.
    >Elections coming up.
    >MILLIONS of people protesting against bill
    >Obama wants to get re-elected
    >???
    >PROFIT!

It's not that hard to fill in that 4th spot, especially if it's a stupid bill that would not only piss off Americans, but destroy jobs as well.

Um...

He also said he'd veto the Defense Authorization bill.

Look how that went...

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Um...

He also said he'd veto the Defense Authorization bill.

Look how that went...
    with any luck we won't have to find out what kind of signing statement he'd put on sopa
    and as for his motives we can only blindly speculate. I'll just be happy for the veto.

Wikipedia, Youtube, Facebook, etc. would be fairly safe. If a corporation tried to claim they were breaking copyright, they would go to court and fight it, and both sides would lose a ton of money for little, if any gain.

SOPA and PIPA are more of a threat to small start ups. Big companies like EA support SOPA because they can easily fight back were they accused and get things resolved quickly. On the other hand, if they see an up-and-coming shooter that is being primarily sold online (think like a shooter version of Minecraft), then EA might accuse that site of infringing on their copyright on some dubious claim (regardless of whether they are) and the site could be taken down until a representative of that company appears to defend it. This is an even bigger issue if the developers, like Notch (Minecraft, again), don't live in the U.S. and it would be even MORE costly to defend themselves by going to another country. Here's the first problem, it has an approach of "guilty until proven innocent". Now the small company may not be able to afford the legal fees to defend itself, and EA has now essentially made it impossible to start a new shooter franchise without some HEAVY backing from investors.

There's the second problem. Imagine Youtube didn't exist yet, and some new guy came and said he wants to start a video streaming site for user-generated content, but he needs money to get it started. Investors aren't going to risk their money on this idea, because there is a high chance it will lose all its money in legal fees from larger companies claiming it infringes on their copyright, since SOPA basically makes the protection from DMCA no longer matter.

So no, SOPA isn't a threat to Youtube, Facebook, or any of your other highly popular sites. SOPA is a threat to the "next" Wikipedia, or Google, or what-have-you.

Quote Originally Posted by soupy View Post
    with any luck we won't have to find out what kind of signing statement he'd put on sopa
    and as for his motives we can only blindly speculate. I'll just be happy for the veto.
    Missing point. The last veto he "intended" to make went out the window when Congress agreed to assign the Executive branch all the special constitution-squashing powers.

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Missing point. The last veto he "intended" to make went out the window when Congress agreed to assign the Executive branch all the special constitution-squashing powers.
    yes I'm aware that veto went out the window. and there is a good chance this one will too.

I was trying to point out that he would probably stick a signing statement on the bill saying that his administration will refuse to enforce SOPA just to make himself look better. as he did with NDAA.

Ok, so I'm glad the internet is saved!! But politics give me headaches.